TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Picking at my scalp. - July 27th 2013, 02:50 AM

I'm not putting this in self harm because I don't do it to deliberately harm myself to cope with any sort of emotion, it's getting bad though.

I know I've posted on picking at my scalp once before and people said it was just a bad habit unless it makes me bleed. When I was younger, it was my eczema on my body like my thighs that I would pick, but now it's migrated to my head.

But, I've been picking at it SO often though, it's many times daily, and my mom said that yes, it IS getting red, it IS bleeding, and it IS even scabbing over. So, I'm assuming that goes past the point of "just a bad habit."

Whenever I go to my next physical (dunno when that is) my mom is asking my doctor for a recommendation for a dermatologist because she says that the eczema rash I have on my head MUST be bothering me if I'm picking at it. But no, it's really not bothering me. It doesn't itch or hurt. I just run through my head and any time I feel a bump which I guess must be the rash, I pick. But hell, if I keep picking like this the rash will never go away.

Is this an actual problem and how do I make it go away.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: Picking at my scalp. - July 27th 2013, 03:10 AM

I would consider this a problem but 1 that can of course be solved. I could be wrong and any1 can feel free to correct me if so but isn't there shampoos out there that could possibly help with this? I don't know if maybe you're just experiencing from like dry scalp or something. I'm probably way off on thinking and of no use but it was the 1st thing that came to mind lol.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Picking at my scalp. - July 27th 2013, 03:12 AM

I dunno, I've used multiple types of shampoo, T-Sal (sp?), Organix since there aren't any sulfates/parabins, most recently using Tresseme which makes my hair nice I guess but my scalp I guess not? I'm allergic to Dove, I've used Suave... But maybe a dermatologist can prescribe something or suggest something else, but at this point if I'm picking this much I don't know how effective it'll be to get prescribed something because while it heals I'll still pick.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Picking at my scalp. - July 27th 2013, 11:51 PM

I know I'm not a professional, and I definitely can't diagnose you, but this sounds like dermatillomania to me. Basically, dermatillomania is a compulsion to pick at your skin. It might explain why none of the different shampoos have worked for you.

Personally, I have both dermatillomania and trichotillomania (compulsion to pull out your hair). What you're going through sounds a lot like what I am. I started pulling and picking at a young age for no particular reason, and it sounds like that's what happened to you, too. The migration of the picking area sounds very similar, as well.

I don't know why people would tell you that it's just a bad habit unless it bleeds - that doesn't make any sense to me. It doesn't need to bleed to be more than a bad habit.

Whether it is what I think it might be or not, it is definitely a real problem. If it is dermatillomania, I'm not sure how much you can do for it. Not many mental health professionals deal with things like this. I'd be happy to give you some more information or some links if you want to look into it more, though!

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

“I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.”

PM / VM

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Julia

Re: Picking at my scalp. - July 29th 2013, 08:09 AM

I know we've talked about this before too cause I mentioned I had the same problem and was going to try and quit. I've tried quitting twice but hasn't really worked out I don't think it's a mental compulsion to pick at skin because I feel like I would do that in more areas than my scalp. Shampoos don't work on me ether, if anything they make it worse. I think it's both a wierd comfort thing like shucking your thumb and also just your scalp really is itchy. I have been wanting to tell my therapist but just haven't gotten around to it. I'd like to stop too, I just really don't know how.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 2nd 2013, 03:17 PM

I pick my scalp my too. like you I feel a bump or a pimple and its pick pick pick. I thought I was the only one who picked my scalp. I find keeping my hands busy helps me.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Hypothesis. Offline
Not significant.

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 3rd 2013, 04:35 AM

Yeah, I can be busy doing something whether school, playing a game, whatever, and if I have a free hand it'll be in my head.
I noticed one little affected spot at the front of my scalp since I've moved up there, I'm assuming I have more spots like that if my mom's noticing. It's red. :/

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 3rd 2013, 08:56 AM

I know what you mean - perhaps at night you could put gloves on your hands before you got sleep - I tried this and I simply found myself removing the gloves and still picking at my scalp/head - but it might work for you its worth a try.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 8th 2013, 07:37 PM

Yeah, I have that problem too. I've always had a bit of dermatillomania (what Lorra mentioned), so I've been picking at a region or spot for years and can't seem to stop.

It's horrible, and my skin always breaks out around my chin and along my hairline.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Ɯιттʏ~ Offline
Narwhal Lover
Not a n00b

Name: Callie

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 18th 2013, 04:14 AM

Selenium sulfide worked fine for my scalp condition. :L

Send a message via AIM to Ɯιттʏ~ Send a message via Skype™ to Ɯιттʏ~ 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 18th 2013, 07:17 PM

I have a similar situation, only it doesn't matter if I pick at it or not. I believe I have psoriasis in my hair. I also have a bit on my belly button. My belly button was healed for several months. Like, I'll go in remission, but it always come back. That's one characteristic of psoriasis. Though, I used to have it under my arms, and that went away and hasn't come back (thankfully).

I've used T-Sal, T-Gel, and Denorex. I've been to the dermatologist. No luck. However, there's no cure for psoriasis.

When I was younger, I'd pick my scalp and belly button until it bled, too. I don't so much anymore. I'll still run my hands through my hair and scratch the flakes out of my hair.

Honestly, my psoriasis is at its best when I dry my hair when I get out of the shower. However, it never goes entirely away. I also have it in my ears and on my back. Like yours, it doesn't itch. It's just annoying.

The sun usually helps a little too.

I can't offer much help, because I've been dealing with this myself for about 13 years now. I'll probably deal with it the rest of my life.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#12 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 18th 2013, 11:08 PM

I have this too, surprised to see how many people do!! A couple of years ago my doctor prescribed me a iquid ointment that you rub into your scalp... this stopped the itch in it for me and helped a lot, but the compulsion to do it is always there and I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to stop. You're not alone!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
avocado Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabrielle

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 19th 2013, 04:08 AM

Yeah I know what that's like. As a kid I had dermatillomania, currently I've been dealing with trichotillomania. I've only recently admitted to myself that has been threatening to escalate terribly for a long time. Whenever I feel like I've improved it turns out I've just started pulling hair from somewhere else, haha. I've heard a lot of people have has success with Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, though i've never tried it myself.

At my lowest point I'd pull in my sleep, or when I was trying to get to sleep, or I'd go on emotionally charged pulling sprees and end up blistering my fingers, which was when I started putting bandaids on my fingers. That actually helped keep me from pulling at night. They could help you from picking, too. I've also found that if there's a certain spot you pick at your skin a lot (i.e. in a certain chair, watching tv, doing homework) avoid it. when you're working on school stuff take a lot of breaks, and keep your hands busy. I made dreamcatchers out of wire hangers, haha. For me instead of watching TV or something that left my hands idle i'd sketch or cook or something that kept me occupied. If it's long enough wear your hair up or pinned back, or wear a hat to avoid the temptation.

It's really important that you make a strong effort now before it escaltes too badly. I haven't pulled a hair from my head in months, but i've been left with a lot of short, uneven lengths of hair from one point when almost the whole side of my head was bald.
Now I only ocasionally over pluck my eyebrows, and sometimes feel the need to tweeze body hair, but it's gotten a lot better. (:
wish I had more advice for you. You're not alone, anyway. Hope this helps some

(#14 (permalink)) Old
avocado Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabrielle

Re: Picking at my scalp. - August 19th 2013, 04:10 AM

hah looking back through my post there's a lot of oddly phrased sentences and typos. it's 2am and I'm tired, but I am actually literate! haha

Closed Thread