TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: meris

what is this??? - August 7th 2013, 03:12 PM

Okay so i've been noticing something about me, i don't know what its called so i need your help for this.

There's this thing, I do when something's bugging me. I'll give some examples.
If I See visible clumps of dog hair on my floor, I'll have to sweep it out of here and look for any other clumps or visible masses of dog hair. also even if it's the living room and i see random clumps of hair, it will bother the hell out of me and i'll have to sweep it into a pile and throw it away.

Another thing, is I have this blanket with dog hair on it, and when i'm laying on it or wrapped in it, I can feel the dog hair poking my back so i'll find the main source of where the hair poking is at and look for pieces of hair in the blanket and pull it out and I just don't really want to stop. Like I'll pull a long piece of hair out then i'll see another piece of hair and pull it out and it sometimes, gets hard to stop because i'm trying to pull out almost every single piece of dog hair i see in the blanket. There will be moment where i will pull a long piece of dog hair out and feel accomplished and kind of happy but i will still do it.

I remember one time time, I was sweeping my floor at 3am and the carpet looked clean but i would still sweep it to make sure, I was getting all the hair up and i swept the outside of my room too to clean that area and I ended up sweeping the floors
(inside my room mostly) till 7am.

This doesn't just apply to dog hair or hair in general, those are just examples.
Another thing, I do is pop my blackheads on my nose. Ever since my sister showed me how to do it, I started doing it myself...and I dont do it constantly but like maybe 3 times throughout the day. Maybe 4? but I pop them and I love doing it for some reason, I had to stop popping them though because it makes my nose red and damages my skin and i'm taking senior pictures this week so. but I've been doing for a few months now. maybe a year, i've lost track.

I can't think of any other things off the top of my head but if i do, I will let ya'll know.
anyways, Does anyone know what this is called or what it's close to??

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: what is this??? - August 7th 2013, 03:34 PM

Sounds like it could be OCD?

(#3 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: what is this??? - August 7th 2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheels4life View Post
Sounds like it could be OCD?
I don't think so. I mean, only 2% of the population has it. i doubt i do.
There is a name for it, im sure.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: what is this??? - August 7th 2013, 06:26 PM

While people can become obsessed by things it doesn't mean there's necessarily anything wrong with them. I'm someone who actually had OCD and while it does sound a little obsessive, there is a line where it becomes compulsive. A lot of people start thinking they have OCD because of certain actions they do or take, like they feel they have to do the things they do but it doesn't necessarily mean that they actually have it.

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder is when a person begins having an obsession with something and they begin to have a compulsion with something else to the point where it interferes with their daily lives. I'll use myself as an example here. I used to wash my hands 50-75+ times per day, washing them over and over and over because I was obsessed by germs on my hands so I had the compulsion to wash them in order to get rid of the germs. Another example of myself would be that I have to have things in a specific order. Something so small such as my toothbrush, I have to have the bristles facing upwards each time I use it. I have to lay it flat, never putting it in something and then I spend my time balancing it bristles facing upwards. I keep balancing and balancing it until it finally stays bristles upwards, if it doesn't I'll stay there obsessively wanting the bristles to stay up and then I'm compulsively trying to do it to the point on not one but several occasions where I'd nearly miss my bus to college because that's how bad it becomes. My OCD unless I maintain control, can seriously affect me on a day-to-day basis where it begins to interfere with my life.

A lot of people when they start obsessing over something they begin to start thinking they have OCD but without realising that they may have an obsession over something though it doesn't necessarily interfere with their daily lives and this is where the line is. While it might seem like a person does have OCD, it's the environment that truly brings out the obsessions and compulsions in a person to the point where it can develop as a disorder and this is then when it affects the person on a much larger scale.

The best thing you can do is speak to a doctor about your concerns as they can help you to determine whether or not you have OCD or something similar.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: what is this??? - August 7th 2013, 06:53 PM

I know, I don't have OCD, I'm pretty sure the doctor wouldn't think so either
it's something else, But i can't put my finger on it.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: what is this??? - August 8th 2013, 07:39 PM

It seems like an anxiety disorder. It isn't OCD.

Maybe you should talk to someone about it, try to get to the bottom of it. After that, maybe someone can give you the word you're looking for.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Jocasta Offline
Priestess of Cegolaich
Not a n00b

Name: Allie

Re: what is this??? - August 9th 2013, 02:38 PM

Have you heard of GAD, generalized anxiety disorder?, Its much more commong than one might think and some of what you mentioned fits into it. but hey, im not a doctor

How can man die better? Than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his father, in the temple of his gods.

"I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad, the dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: what is this??? - August 9th 2013, 08:02 PM

I Haven't been diagnosed with anxiety but i'm sure, I have it.

so this might be correlated with anxiety?

(#9 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount19

Edit avatar

Re: what is this??? - August 9th 2013, 09:03 PM

Meris, please don't self-diagnose. If you feel like you have an anxiety disorder, go get it checked out and find out from a doctor if you have it for real or if it's something else. We're here if you want to talk.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: what is this??? - August 9th 2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyways and Starlights View Post
Meris, please don't self-diagnose. If you feel like you have an anxiety disorder, go get it checked out and find out from a doctor if you have it for real or if it's something else. We're here if you want to talk.
Hun, No offense but It's obvious from my point of view that I have anxiety issues. I'll go to a doctor but i've had the doctor tell it seems, I have anxiety.

I Know I have anxiety, Believe me.....I do...Trust me, if you were me ...or a close friend, you would know. I just don't know if it might be a disorder.

i definitely do have anxiety though but I'll go to the doctor to see if i have general anxiety disorder.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Kindred Offline
You can handle anything
I've been here a while

Name: Eyeliner Failure

Re: what is this??? - August 11th 2013, 10:39 AM

Yes, but self diagnosing is never a good idea and can lead to more worry. Take Becki's advice, go to a doctor if you think something is wrong and you want help for it

Take as long as you need.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: what is this??? - August 11th 2013, 05:38 PM

I dont think somethings wrong, Im just curious as to why i do it

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Philomath Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: what is this??? - August 14th 2013, 01:32 AM

Hi Meris,

From what I know about you, I really think it would be great for you to talk to someone more than just a one time visit.
If you are having all of this anxiety (which can be diagnosed and treated if that is what a professional determines this is), it will take more than just a one time visit to your doctor to get an understanding of it and to begin the process of eliminating it from your life.
People usually have anxiety due to previous experiences, things they fear becoming overwhelming and for other reasons.
There are skills you can learn to lessen your anxiety and to cope better so that you do not do things such as constantly picking dog hair out of a blanket or sweeping your floor.
I am also thinking this could be related to serious boredom. I know when I'm really bored, I do things repeatedly not because I'm obsessed with doing them but because I'm bored and have nothing else to do.
Try to plan your days so you are doing lots of activities, getting outside, seeing friends, going places you enjoy etc. So that at night, you come home exhausted enough to want to sleep at night so you are not awake from 3-7 in the morning.
Hope this helps and that seeing a doctor goes well.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#14 (permalink)) Old
cherrypie36 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: what is this??? - August 14th 2013, 03:11 AM

Thank You.

I might be bored but I never go hang out with friends. Im too scared. My dad wont drop me off anywhere.

I can go outside but to let my dogs go the bathroom or walk around the block

Closed Thread