TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Exclamation Being Nocturnal - October 8th 2013, 09:17 AM

I'll just get straight to the point,

No matter what I do, no matter how hard I try, in the end I always end up staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning.

Now this isn't just a post about a person having trouble with their sleep cycle or suffering from insomnia. I'm coming to you for help because throughout my life, I've always been someone who's been attracted to staying up late.

This is not because I want to rebel or anything, I just seem to be in a better state of mind. I get homework done faster, and I can just simply relax in a way which doesn't seem possible during the day.

My friend says that I'm a nocturnal person, also saying that it happens to some people. My problem is that I DON'T want to be always nocturnal as I want to be like every other person, finishing their duties during the day, sleeping at 11, and waking up at 7.

However it seems impossible to me. There's never been a prolonged period in my life where I could establish myself with a normal routine. I'm seriously considering going to see a psychiatrist as my university offers it for free to maybe find some kind of solution. However, before I do that I just wanted to get some input from you guys to see if maybe someone else has the same problem.

Thanks..

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 8th 2013, 11:00 AM

I'm the same way. I always loved staying up during the night when it was quiet and not waking up until the afternoon the next day. That's why I have a job to where I usually work in the afternoon/night.

Going through High School I had to be there by 9 am., this was a big issue as my Mom would always have to wake me up. I would always sleep through alarm clocks or keep turning them off in three seconds I was back to sleep.

So you aren't the only one.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
FairyPoppins Offline
Never give up.
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 8th 2013, 03:54 PM

If you want to go to sleep at night, my advice is to try and do as much physical activity as possible in the day. Go for a walk/run, go swimming, play a sport, etc. Something that requires a fair amount of energy. That way, when it gets to the evening, you are more likely to feel exhausted and ready for bed!

"You, and only you alone,
Can build a bridge across the stream..."

TeenHelper since 07/07/2005.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 8th 2013, 08:16 PM

The problem is rooted in your habits, use of technology, eating, exercise, etc. I don't recommend seeing a psychiatrist as their sleep aids are pretty terrible.

You need sunlight during the day and to avoid the use of electronics and such before bed. The problem is making time to do that when our lifestyles are so tech oriented.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 8th 2013, 10:28 PM

I have the same problem, and it's made worse by the fact that all my classes are in the afternoon and run late so I can sleep as late as I want and still be up in plenty of time. I'm going to have to adjust though, because the world doesn't work this way and I will have to get up and do things like "normal" people. Avoid caffeine after about 1o'clock and do things that will make you tired. You can also try easing your way into it by moving up the time you go to bed until it's at a reasonable hour. Or, you could do it the hard way and force yourself to get up at a certain time no matter how tired you are.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Azure. Offline
Filling My Panties.
I can't get enough

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 9th 2013, 12:50 AM

I am the same way. For some reason, I can get more done at night.
What I do, is when it's time to sleep I put everything away. I just lay there until I do fall asleep. I do a lot of physical activity during the day, so I am usually able to fall asleep. I also agree with having a set time to wake up no matter how tired you are. Eventually, this will help you go to sleep earlier

vm-pm
♥♥♥
Find your light in a new dawn.
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 12th 2013, 05:57 AM

It doesn't sound like this is psychological. Rather, it's an issue with your habits. If you start training your body to be nocturnal, then you're going to have an incredibly hard time falling asleep during normal hours.

One thing that you might want to try is making a sleep/wake schedule. Choose a specific time to go to bed every night and a specific time to wake up every morning. No matter what times you choose, be sure you stick to them on weekdays and weekends. Your body will start to regulate and become like an internal alarm clock. That means that, over time, your body will soon naturally fall asleep and wake up at times that are conducive to your daily life.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount8

Edit avatar

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 16th 2013, 01:14 AM

I'm pretty nocturnal as well, I always feel weird on those rare days that I sleep at the time everyone else does. But honestly, if it doesn't cause any issues with school or any other activities during the day, I don't see a problem with it. You said you think better and get things done easier at night.

I agree with Sammi though, that it doesn't sound psychological but more of a habit. If you'd like to change it, I suggest trying to ease into going to bed earlier. During the day, exercise and stuff to make sure you'd be tired at night. Then try going to bed one hour earlier each night. See how that sits with you.

Hope I helped a bit!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Corrupted Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jake

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 23rd 2013, 05:12 AM

I'm a very nocturnal person. I usually stay up anywhere from 12:00 am to 1:30 am. I'm more relaxed and I have better problem solving at night than I do during the day. Strangely, my music tastes are different at night than during the day.

"Structure is the enemy of progressive thought."

(#10 (permalink)) Old
SilentBunny Offline
Formally Sn0man
Regular TeenHelper

Name: jake

Re: Being Nocturnal - October 30th 2013, 03:25 AM

Eh, i would say im a pretty nocturnal person. I am awake from anywhere between 3am-6am. I find i like the night time and often do my ebst work at night, plus it's very refreshing to me and calming.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination.

Closed Thread