TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Washing my hands - November 13th 2013, 04:23 PM

I've recently started washing my hands with hand sanitizer a LOT. I buy those little bottles and always have one with me. I used to get a lot of colds and washing my hands a lot more does seem to help prevent colds. Problem is my hands have started getting a little dry because of it :/

I just don't like the idea of touching stuff like door handles in public bathrooms and not washing my hands. So many people don't wash their hands after they go to the toilet it turns me sick. I don't want random people's fece germs on my hands >___<

I don't think I'm "addicted" to it but I think I am doing it too much. My mum has started telling me to stop doing it so much because my skin is getting dry.

Does anyone else have this problem?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Adalia Rose Offline
Average Joe

Name: Adalia Rose

Re: Washing my hands - November 13th 2013, 09:30 PM

I do not have this problem, but I did have a friend who did. She started wearing rubber gloves. Eventually, she got over it and realized that she won't die from a little bit of germs.

As for the dry hands part, body butter is your best friend. I have eczema on my hands and body butter does wonders

- Adalia

"Ghosts don't scare me. Flesh and blood people do." ~ Ellen Hopkins

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Washing my hands - November 14th 2013, 01:43 PM

Thanks I'l definitely buy some My skin can sometimes be flakey because of it. I just don't know if I should be washing my hands to the extent of my skin becoming flakey I wouldn't start wearing rubber gloves or anything though.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: Washing my hands - November 17th 2013, 06:41 AM

I wash my hands fairly often and my hands do get kind of dry sometimes. From how you described it, it sounds pretty normal to be honest. Public bathrooms can be pretty gross! I always wash my hands after entering a public bathroom. Unless you are washing your hands multiple times after being in a public bathroom or constantly washing them at home, it doesn't sound like a problem to me.
I recommend that you moisturize your hands every night with Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream. It's not too expensive and a little goes a loooong way so it will last you a long time.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
bitesize Offline
Member since April '07
Outside, huh?

Re: Washing my hands - November 18th 2013, 12:50 AM

I COMPLETELY have this problem - a couple of months ago I started using hand sanitiser at the till in work, and then I started needing to use it every time I got on and off the bus (touching those poles that are always greasy freaks me out...) and it's so so easy to start feeling dependent on it.

Maybe at home use a soap that's dry-skin-friendly?? I'm sure you could find hand sanitiser that doesn't dry out your hands as well, but in the mean time keep sure to moisturise your hands every night and wear gloves in cold weather, that can help!

Honey, you're familiar, like my mirror, years ago
I slithered here from Eden just to sit outside your door
Níl a shíltear mar a bhítear.
Things are not always what they seem.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Owl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Washing my hands - November 19th 2013, 03:28 PM

Moisturiser or body butter should help! Keep in mind that over a longer time period, being overly careful about something about sanitising your hands can actually be bad; its important to allow some microbes to hit your body to build up immunity, otherwise illnesses might hit you a lot worse when you do get them. I've just been learning about this in my infectious diseases class!

But for the dry hand problem, like others have suggested moisturiser or body butter are your best best, just apply it a couple of times a day or whenever you feel like your skin is starting to get dry.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: Washing my hands - November 20th 2013, 11:18 PM

I have a hand washing problem but mine is due to the fact that I suffer OCD. I have to constantly wash my hands or they feel dirty. Even if they're clean, if they don't smell as good as I think they should I wash them all over again. I use hand sanitiser which does help hold back the need to wash my hands but eventually I have to wash them.

At the time, Cuticura, which is a hand sanitiser brand I use, did do a sanitiser/lotion product but I can't seem to find it, they do however provide hand lotions etc to go along side their products. http://www.cuticura.co.uk/products/

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Washing my hands - November 21st 2013, 09:58 PM

Thank you I really need to stop watching Obsessive Compulsive Cleaners. I didn't realise just how many germs are in places >.> I know the vast majority of germs are harmless but it still sickens me >.>

Closed Thread