TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
stateofserenity Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katie

Question OCD vs. being paranoid - November 21st 2013, 03:47 AM

So I'm addicted to checking locks. Whether it's the bathroom door or the front door I am. For example, during the night I can't help going downstairs and making sure the door is locked even though I checked it like half an hour ago. This repeats many times.

My therapist thinks I may have OCD but I think I'm probably just paranoid. What do you think the boundary of difference is?

❣"You think you want to die but in reality you just want to be saved."❣

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Thereishope Offline
Skittles Minion & Fish Thrower
I can't get enough

Name: Michael

Re: OCD vs. being paranoid - November 30th 2013, 11:40 PM

For me I think it would fall under paranoid if you have a reason you do it. For example maybe hearing about a lot of robberies, etc or even maybe you experienced one for yourself and you're just trying to avoid that from happening (or happening again if it did before). If there is no real reason for it then it could be OCD. That's my view on this anyway.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ki

Post Re: OCD vs. being paranoid - December 1st 2013, 06:12 AM

Ill Reuse what i used for a Friend in the past

"I have pretty bad O.C.D.

Paranoia, ticks, anxiety, and unwanted thoughts (either about people dying or sexual thoughts about many people), and you need to learn to control it, but that's hard.

All of this, as I understand it, is caused by a chemical imbalance of serotonin. Anti depressants such as prozac contain serotonin and will make it a lot easier to learn to control these things.

About the intrusive thoughts, I always visualize them in the center of my field of vision and kind of mentally push them outwards (often while looking at something bare like a bare wall or the ceiling / sky).

I didn't want to get help either (that's the way some of us with O.C.D are), but my family got me the help (medication and tips) that I needed.

If she has any kind of compulsive ticks or rituals, she needs to try and do lesser and lesser compulsions by ''justifying'' them. They are commonly triggered by something, and the mind's flawed reasoning makes you think you have to do something to prevent or to fend off something.
"

Closed Thread