TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Luketwm Offline
Lost child
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Luke Vanillo

Video games - December 21st 2013, 12:42 AM

So recently I've been completely hypnotized by video games. I simply can't help myself. I play all day. All night. It's been hurting my school work horribly... And my extra circulars to the point where I've been suspended from playing soccer for the rest of the season. I wake up in the morning and play, go to school and play... I go to sleep at 4 because of it. It's horrible. I've tried to put my foot down but I always come crawling back to my desktop, or iPad. The thing is, I have the opportunity to play right there in front of me at all times... So it's difficult to refrain from playing. I don't want to completely stop playing... I just wanna control my urges. So I know when the right time to play is and vise versa. Any tips?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Captain1628 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Video games - December 21st 2013, 01:17 AM

Every time you feel like playing video games you could thing of an alternative. Such as, practicing or just messing around with soccer.When you play, give yourself a time frame, of say 30 minutes or an hour. But no more than that.Tell your self to finish your homework or other things before you start playing anything. Try to keep yourself away from anything that has games, consoles, iPads etc.

Live for today, for tomorrow may never come.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Luketwm Offline
Lost child
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Luke Vanillo

Re: Video games - December 21st 2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain1628 View Post
Every time you feel like playing video games you could thing of an alternative. Such as, practicing or just messing around with soccer.When you play, give yourself a time frame, of say 30 minutes or an hour. But no more than that.Tell your self to finish your homework or other things before you start playing anything. Try to keep yourself away from anything that has games, consoles, iPads etc.
I try that. After a few minutes my brain aches and I kinda go into a panic mode... I go directly to play my video game. It's difficult >_<" but thanks

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Deleted115 Offline
Привет
Average Joe

Re: Video games - December 21st 2013, 09:19 PM

There is nothing wrong with playing games, It's mostly addictive because its Simply Fun, however it's wrong if it cuts into important stuff, and its difficult to do the 'boring yet important' stuff, when you could do the 'fun but irrelevant' stuff.

As Captain1628 said, you need an alternative. Preferably something more benefical, though Video games *Depend on game* can be beneficial, even the ones that may not seem educational, can always improve endurance and reaction times.

Though eventually even the most fun video game will eventually become boring, there is no game *or atleast in my long experience* that will always be fun, especially after nitpicking issues and/or playing excessively. So i'm sure time will reveal your issue, but it would take a while anyway. Especially if you have plenty of games.

But in general, it's probably best to find a..Completely Different hobby, i consider myself a video game addict, i play excessively and it cuts up my home education quite badly, but i have an alternative 'Cycling' as the freedom is fun, 'freedom' is something you'll never get in a video game, even the largest mapped video games will always end and all places will eventually be explored. The exercise from my alternative hobby is great, but the important thing is here, having another hobby will Cut your video gaming in half, and then you'll be able to balance between your two hobbies more, *whichever hobby you choose* and if you can balance between them, you'd be able to plan and balance a gap within them to do the important stuff.

I personally find it easier to do the important stuff, then the fun stuff, that is, if the important stuff isn't fun. That way atleast i can enjoy the rest of my day, doing 'Fun' Hope i helped. Pm/VM me for any more advice.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Chaotic mind...
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Pathetic person

Re: Video games - December 22nd 2013, 12:08 AM

You reminded me of myself around your age, it could be what's fun on the games you're playing. Certain elements can cause you to get addicted. Luckily I died out on the gaming age, I prefer more... subtle games now.

All I can say is that the fun in your games will die out for you just as it did for me.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: Video games - December 22nd 2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Heart View Post
You reminded me of myself around your age, it could be what's fun on the games you're playing. Certain elements can cause you to get addicted. Luckily I died out on the gaming age, I prefer more... subtle games now.

All I can say is that the fun in your games will die out for you just as it did for me.
I'm even a little older than Take Heart and I can attest to this. There were certain elements in games that are addictive (achievements and levelling up - both of which creates a drive to achieve something), and you should soon get tired of them.

However, I did do something drastic to stop my addiction to games like WoW and Runescape. Simply put, I either deleted my characters or gave them away, so that I'd be forced to start again, and I was really reluctant to do that. For you, I'd recommend leaving your iPad at home during school, and getting your parents to limit either bandwidth or power to your desktop to certain hours (there are certain programs that do the latter, and your firewall can do the former). Then you'll be forced to do something else during the off-hours.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Deleted115 Offline
Привет
Average Joe

Re: Video games - December 24th 2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Age of Ignorance View Post

However, I did do something drastic to stop my addiction to games like WoW and Runescape. Simply put, I either deleted my characters or gave them away, so that I'd be forced to start again, and I was really reluctant to do that.
I lost my addiction to RS and other games because they simply cheesed me off. Alot of games develop flaws, errors, glitches, etc, and even with the effect of a patch, things about games can irritate the players, this can help with stopping the addiction by simply causing frustration.

Although i wouldn't call any type of extreme gaming an addiction, it's more of a routine that we get use to doing, and fit it into our lifestyle, in some cases we don't 'fit' it into our lifestyle, we more-or-less Force it into our lifestyle.

Most people who force apart other hobbies/important stuff for gaming generally haven't had a gaming experience before and are interested in the overall experience, and trust human curiosity to explore this and it comes into our lifestyle, usually at some price since we take no regard for other less important things.

All-in-All i've never encountered any gamer who has struggled to stop gaming, many reasons but the three most common ones are

1.Frustration
2.Boredom
3.Lifestyle

Generally in that order, the frustration causes you to get fed up and bored of the game, and when we are bored of gaming we generally think about our lifestyle and try to change things around.

Time always stops gaming, either when we get fed up with the games we play, OR when we realize that we should and NEED to be doing more important things with our lives.

However, time may stop gaming but there is no certainty on how long it stops gaming at all.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

Re: Video games - December 24th 2013, 07:32 PM

What works for me is finding a new game. One that is fun for a little while, but then gets boring. It makes the old game less appealing too.

Closed Thread