TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
qveenG Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gabbie

Unhappy Addicted To Smoking Weed - December 28th 2013, 03:36 AM

So this all started in 6th grade for me. I was going through problems at home and a friend of mine ask me to smoke , it will make my problems go away. Ever since that day i have been smoking weed every chance i get. When things piss me off or make me feel like dying i just get high. Getting high is like my life. The longest i stayed sober was a couple of weeks. And im not proud to say that but when i get in this bad place thats all i want to do. My dad knows i smoke he encourages me to stop but i just end up smoking again. I really want to stop. I've tried and tried and i always end up smoking. Please Help Me !

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DanTheMan :P Offline
Average Joe

Name: Dan

Re: Addicted To Smoking Weed - December 28th 2013, 06:51 PM

Hey Gabbie!
Well, whilst weed isn't physically addictive in the same way, for example, cigarettes, is, it is still mentally/emotionally addictive and sometimes harder to kick, as there is no substitute.
You can become reliant on it, so feel "empty" without it. However, with most addictions of this type, if you can go cold turkey for 21 days (3 weeks), then continuing to abstain is a lot easier.
If you can't just quit like that, then try either smoking less frequently, reducing the amount of times, say, per week, you smoke it, or reduce the amount you smoke each time.
Good luck
-Dan

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Addicted To Smoking Weed - January 1st 2014, 08:48 PM

Hey there,
Quitting an addiction takes a lot of time, patience, and initiative. As Dan said, smoking is an addictive behavior that is used to physically or mentally cope with problems. I'm glad to hear you are willing to stop and here's my first step of advice to you- try to find an alternative method that you can use to cope.

By alternative, I am not saying to do something else that's bad but I mean something fun and simple; for example, when I'm not in a good mood, I tend to preoccupy myself with chores to do around the house such as washing dishes, doing laundry, cleaning, etc. I encourage you to find something like that too!

However, I know this isn't related to self-harm, but just as self-harm is also physically and mentally addicting, so is this and here is a list of alternatives you could look at: http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f12-s...ves-self-harm/

I'm sure you will find something of your interest that can help you. I hope this helps and wish you the very best on your recovery!

~Rishy

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Crazycatlady Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Gretch

Re: Addicted To Smoking Weed - January 12th 2014, 04:49 AM

Are there particular things that you are dealing with by getting high? It's important to address the things that are bothering you in a more healthy and productive way. While smoking weed might make the thing that is bothering you not bother you so much, it does not solve the problem.
Have you considered other ways to deal with your emotions instead of using weed as a coping mechanism? There are many other ways to cope with the emotions that are compelling you to get high. I found that journaling always helps me. It helps to vent what is going on and later read what you wrote down in order to find a new way of looking at your problem. Other ways that could help is doodling and finger crocheting--as they are creative outlets that can occupy your mind.
Do you also have anybody who you trust to talk about whatever it is you're going through (parent, aunt/uncle/cousin, counselor, teacher, someone at a club/organization/church/exc). Finding someone who you trust to talk to can really benefit.
Good luck. I hope you can kick your habit.

This is my happy face.

Closed Thread