TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Runner19 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David Pearson

Exclamation Addicted to the very thing that keeps me alive - January 2nd 2014, 12:52 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Okay, so I'm addicted to my own blood. Yeah I know, weird, messed up, crazy. Go ahead lock me up, it would be better that way. But listen. I'm also addicted to cutting myself, out of emotional pain too. I cut myself, see my blood, then lick it up, or sometimes drink it if it runs fast enough. I can't get enough of it. I am careful enough and have studied all of the veins and arteries of the human body, and no how to prevent infection so nobody knows. I haven't had any serious problems yet, but it's a matter of time. Can anyone help!

(#2 (permalink)) Old
admin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Addicted to the very thing that keeps me alive - January 2nd 2014, 01:27 AM

*Bump*
Not sure how to reply to this, I have friends like this personally i tried to help them, but theres nothing you can really do. People say "you need to see a theripist" but really the only way to stop is stopping yourself just like any other addiction, not neccessarly by seeing someone.

-Chris
Not A Doctor!

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Pirouette Offline
Just a girl strolling by
I've been here a while

Name: Rishy

Re: Addicted to the very thing that keeps me alive - January 2nd 2014, 03:35 AM

Hey David,

Welcome to Teenhelp! I'm glad you reached out to us for help. First of all, have you ever considered of stopping self-harm? If so, honestly, it takes time, patience, and lots of initiative. The recovery time is completely based upon your willingness to quit and not do self-harm.

I recommend that you take a look at this list that contains some great alternatives to self harm. One way of quitting an addiction is finding an alternative since like others, you are using this method of self-harm as a way to physically and mentally cope with life's problems.

I'm not going tell you to go see a therapist or anything, but it could help with this, depending upon how open you are to him/her. Does anybody know about this, like a friend or family member?

Opening up to someone is also a great way to stop an addiction and most likely if you do tell someone, they are likely to help you. I hope this helps and good luck!

[left]

"Imperfection is beauty;
madness is genius;
and its better to be absolutely ridiculous
than absolutely boring."

-Marilyn Monroe

Last edited by Pirouette; January 2nd 2014 at 05:42 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chin up, buttercup.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emery

Re: Addicted to the very thing that keeps me alive - January 2nd 2014, 04:17 AM

Hi there,

I agree with Rishy. Stopping self harm is a great way to conquer your addiction. It's a hard road, and it takes a lot of work to stop, but the alternatives list would definitely be a place I would check out if I were you. I struggle with cutting, and there are some things on this list that have helped me tremendously.
Have you tried journaling? After, before, or even during the act of self harm, write down how you were feeling, what triggered you, what you used, etc. then, when you are calmer, go back and read what you wrote. Maybe you can establish a pattern of scenarios that cause you to cut and lick the blood, and you can work on avoiding putting yourself into those situations.

And talking to someone you trust is always a great option too.
Feel free to PM me if you'd ever like to talk. I'm always here.
Hope I've helped you in some way.
Good luck!

I love you to the moon and back.

Darling you are the only exception. ~Paramore ♡

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Runner19 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David Pearson

Re: Addicted to the very thing that keeps me alive - January 2nd 2014, 02:24 PM

I have told two of my closest friends, but not my parents. The reason behind that is when they figured out that I cut, they wanted to put me into a mental institute. I don't know hat they would do if they found out about my addiction

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Addicted to the very thing that keeps me alive - January 2nd 2014, 09:36 PM

Hello David:

The key to stop self-harm is knowing why you self-harm; what led you to cause self-conflicting physical pain. Everyone has a way to cope if it's self-harm, drugs, drinking, etc.

What you described isn't right nor wrong. You find a meaning and purpose to self-harm that you relate to, that you only understand, that you only trust, and that you only have. However, with any addiction there is also the story behind what led you to self-conflict. I don't know what that story is but I do know, you know why you do.

If you know the source of all the pain and hurt in your life, then you can figure out what is needed next. If that is to seek counseling, to seek group meetings or to seek medical support.

One of the greatest abilities is that we can do for ourselves is that you are the only person that knows you the best. With that you can do whatever you wish, that includes: getting the correct support needed, telling someone, talking about it, and the ability to tell yourself you can stop the self-harm.

However, if that is what you want then there is help and tools out there for you to use.

1) Get to know how you are feeling. Allow yourself to understand your feelings. If you can understand why you feel sad, upset, angry, etc., it can help you to understand your own feelings and actions.

2) If you find an alternative that helps you to cope or process whatever led you to the feelings of self-harm, it can go a long way. These alternatives could be: walking, sports, writing, a instrument, animals, or a simple nap. Some might say taking a nap doesn't help but it allows your brain to relax and you feel better, like you can think clearly. However, sometimes at the beginning it doesn't feel that way.

3) Never give up on something you've tried. For an example, the taking a nap when you have urges to self-harm can help you debunk some feelings but sometimes it doesn't help debunk those feelings. It may not work at first but it does help if you give it time. Just like any other alternatives you can use, give them time as well.

I don't find you are crazy just because you lick your own blood. You find a sense of security while doing that, something that helps calm you just like when you self-harm.

Now, I wanted to ensure your safety and infection. With any opened wound it can lead to infection so to keep it clean and free of dirt can minumize the risk of infection. Using ointments can help the healing process.

With regards to your family, you don't need to tell them anything. I do want to make aware if at any given time those wounds become infected or you went to deep and require medical attention the doctor will inform your family. Which the doctor will recommend counseling or even to speak with the appropriate medical doctor.

If you need anything else you are always welcome to send me a PM

Take care,
Chantal

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread