TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
rainysunday Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 14th 2014, 10:01 PM

So about 2 months ago, I bought an electronic cigarette for my friend because I am 18 and he is not. Today, I come home from school and sure enough my friend texted me that he got caught with it in school. He said they wouldn't stop asking who bought it for him so he finally told them that it was me. Right now I'm freaking out. Are they going to call my parents? Are they going to search me in school tomorrow? If they call me down to the office, what do I say? Do I tell them that I did it or do I deny it and hope they believe me?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Online
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 14th 2014, 10:24 PM

Hey there, exactly how they handle it will depend on their policies, but I would not suggest lying, it only makes things worse and your friend already told so they know it was you and they will know you're lying about it. They might call your parents, like I said it depends on the rules. Since you're 18 and the electronic cigarette is legal for you to have (although maybe not on school grounds?) I doubt they will search you.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Rivière Offline
Par la rivière
I can't get enough

Name: Sarah

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 14th 2014, 11:17 PM

In my personal opinion, I think it would be better that, if you are asked by the police/school if you were the one who bought the E-Cigarette for your friend, you be honest and tell them the truth. I understand this may not be what you want to hear, but believe me that being honest to a police official goes a lot further than lying to them because they will find out eventually, one way or another. Lying will only make your situation worse for you. As Katie said, what action taken against you depends on your area's policies. Usually for first 'offences' very little action is taken because if it is your first time that you've been 'found out' then it's likely you'll be handed a notice of caution and send you on your way. What your parents may think of you doing it however, is another thing entirely.

Life is for living, not for losing.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 15th 2014, 03:27 AM

I'm going to be honest and 100% straight-forward to you..

You screwed up, you used your ID, to make a purchase and give a Minor "tobacco." In many States of the United States, this is a crime.

In New York State, the crime you "could" be charged with would be:

S 260.21 Unlawfully dealing with a child in the second degree.
"3. He sells or causes to be sold tobacco in any form to a child less
than eighteen years old."

This is a Class B Misdemeanor.

I'm not saying this is what you'll be charged with, or the result. But I'm saying is this is a possibility. You should not use your ID to buy any Tobacco (Later down the line, Alcohol.) It's not worth it, its YOUR ID. It would be one thing if you bought for another person who is also over the age of 18. But to a Minor? No.

Put your big boy pants on, tell the truth, and accept your punishment as a man.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 16th 2014, 02:46 PM

You really need to look up the laws on punishments for selling tobacco to minors in your state or where you live. Depending on the state, it could range from a $100 fine to $1000 fine and having your drivers license revoked. You could also be charged with contributing to delinquency of a minor, which is a jailable offense- although that is highly unlikely. It all really depends on where you live, so you need to find out what they can charge you with and what penalties you might face as soon as possible.

I don't say this to scare you, but I'm assuming they wouldn't have gone through the trouble of interrogating your friend unless they were planning on coming after you and pressing charges.

The other thing to consider is that if this ends up on your record, it will definitely block you from working or volunteering with anything associated with kids ever for the rest of your life. I'm not sure what other jobs and opportunites it might block you from as well, but kids and anyone under 18 are definitely out. Companies always do background checks now, and even nonprofits that you could volunteer at for free do background checks on volunteers.

Hopefully, your friend was not dumb enough to tell them where you bought it so that the police can't go interview the cashier there to see if they remember you.

So it might be worth it to play dumb and deny it if questioned if you think you can get away with it, depending on the penalties. If you're in a large city and bought it at a store far away from school, that betters your chances (assuming they don't know which store it was). I'd say you should try to get your friend to lie for you, but I'm guessing he isn't too bright since he got caught smoking in the first place and since he decided to name you instead of making something up about some old guy in front of a store or something. If it is a small penalty and/or you know they're likely to have gone to interview the store's cashier or someone else who might know you bought it for him, then you might want to consider being honest and hoping for leniency.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 16th 2014, 10:48 PM

Id say just tell the truth. Most of the schools are "merciful" when it comes to things like that. They will just confisticate or give the ecigarette to you and he will maybe get written warning and that would be about it. At least thats like that in my country. I mean my friend has a cigarette and i go to a high school and like everyone saw me smoking it and my friend freaked out because teachers were at first staring at me, while i was laughing at the reactions. I explained the deal and they told me i need to smoke it outside, or at least that none of the other teachers can see me. Basically, in the model what i have, its just steam mixed with nicotine and biogen oils. Hurts nobody but the smoker because of the nicotine. But yeah, thats only my case. And if someone bigger saw me, like the principal, i would probably get a warning and they would confisticate or return the ecigarette to its rightful owner. So yeah, just tell them the truth like i did, explain to them that you are aware that you screwed up, and if youre lucky they will let you and your reckless friend continue with your normal and free lives without jail haha

Well, good luck mate

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 18th 2014, 04:37 PM

Be honest with them and tell them that your friend asked you to buy it for them, if anything they will hopefully like respect your honesty.

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 18th 2014, 09:35 PM

I'm not completely sure of all the laws there but so far everyone's posted about laws regarding tobacco being given to a minor.

E-cigarettes don't contain tobacco. They contain nicotine without the tobacco and all the other harmful stuff. The e-cigs just convert a liquid form of nicotine into a mist in order for the user to consume the nicotine.

In this case you've technically not given tobacco to a minor so they actually can't charge you for that. I'm not sure if there are any laws regarding the supply of nicotine to minors though.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Ostreech Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 28th 2014, 01:50 PM

Hello,

Don't take tension and also don't say lie . I give you a best answer for this ...

Just tell them that you want to be friend happy and alive because cigarette smoking is very injurious to health and i don't want to loose my friend that's why i gave a electronics cigarette .

Hope this really works

Cheers!!!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 30th 2014, 10:18 AM

As the poster 2 above me said....Ecig's are not legally classified as a tobacco product. It doesn't contain what the FDA states to be a ciggarrette. It only contains nicotine, and most a slim amount at that. You get more nicotine from an actual cigarrette then you do from an E-CIG.

From the laws point of view, you will only face providing a substance to a minor, which is not a huge deal as long as you don't continue to do so. One time, warning. Twice, warning/ticket...don't keep it up beyond that....hell, don't even do it again.....But who am I to speak...I was smoking at 12.

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
franz1 Offline
Out of the box thinker
Junior TeenHelper

Name: brady shaw

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 30th 2014, 10:18 AM

NOT THAT DOING SO IS RIGHT>>>>>>

Helen: I'm someone who has chosen to embrace the broad spectrum of our reality.

​“Levity helps keep far more insidious things at bay.”
Dr. Helen Magnus, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“Feeling safe is something we all need.”
Dr. Will Zimmerman, “Sanctuary For All”
SANCTUARY

“We learn more from failure than from success.”
Nikola Tesla, “END OF NIGHTS” PART II
SANCTUARY

“Life without purpose isn’t… life.”
Will Zimmerman, “PAVOR NOCTURNUS”
SANCTUARY
  Send a message via Skype™ to franz1 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
hopefuldreamer Offline
lost in wonderland
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Tonya

Re: I got caught selling "tobacco" to a minor - January 31st 2014, 03:13 PM

My advice to you is to be honest. If you are honest chances are they will be more lenient. I don't feel I need to go into how and why what you did is wrong. That has been covered enough by posters above and I feel that at this point you are fully aware that it was wrong. I am going to say that once you get through this I would suggest not purchasing anything for minors again. There are laws for a reason. I hope everything works out well and they let you off with a warning.

Buddy since 11/17/12 Live Help Operator since 1/27/13 HelpLINK Mentor since 6/30/13
Email: tgentry7712@gmail.com send me an email if you want to.

Tumblr ecaepevolhgualevil
  Send a message via Skype™ to hopefuldreamer 
Closed Thread