TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Rockey Offline
Live Life While You Can
Not a n00b

Name: Justin

Gum? - September 16th 2014, 06:05 AM

So, this sounds weird. It's not really an addiction. But, well.. I guess it is. I'm addicted to gum. I chew gum like crazy. I go through about.. $25 - $30 in gum. I just chew gum like, crazyyyyyyy

Idk why. Maybe-- there's a cheaper thing. Not sure.

Thanks,

Rockey

Send a message via Skype™ to Rockey 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Gum? - September 16th 2014, 09:46 AM

Hi Justin,

I donít know much about addictions in general, but Iím wondering if there is something bothering you?

I have heard that we chew when we are anxious, stressed, on edge and even angry. Do you feel like any of these apply to you? Chewing can also be a way of trying to ignore whatever might be bothering us.

Try to notice if there are patterns between when you chew gum and how you are feeling, or what is going on when you chew gum. You will be able to use this to identify what might be causing you to chew gum a lot. As with most things, it may be a good idea to try to gradually lower your gum intake, rather than cut it out completely.

If you are really concerned about it, itís best to talk to a doctor or therapist.

Hope I helped a bit

(#3 (permalink)) Old
CraZzyChiC Offline
CraZzyChiC
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: CraZzyChiC

Re: Gum? - September 20th 2014, 09:12 PM

I may be digging at an old post but I felt like I could contribute to this one, I was just wondering what was it that started you chewing that amount of gum? Like the comment above says that we tend to chew when we feel certain emotions. Maybe it might be one of them.

I would love to hear if you had solved this issue or found the reason why you was doing it

Inspirational Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RafaelEliassen

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Gum? - September 22nd 2014, 11:19 AM

I guess it depends. Like I'll buy 10-20 packs of gum at a time but I've noticed I chew it more when I am bored or extremely stressed or if I am trying not to binge (on food). So I guess the real question is why, like the others said. If it's really cause you love gum just that much. Ok.... But if you do it cause of some sort of emotional response... Well, there's that to think about

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CraZzyChiC Offline
CraZzyChiC
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: CraZzyChiC

Re: Gum? - September 23rd 2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always * View Post
I guess it depends. Like I'll buy 10-20 packs of gum at a time but I've noticed I chew it more when I am bored or extremely stressed or if I am trying not to binge (on food). So I guess the real question is why, like the others said. If it's really cause you love gum just that much. Ok.... But if you do it cause of some sort of emotional response... Well, there's that to think about
That is a good point there

Inspirational Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RafaelEliassen

(#6 (permalink)) Old
MsNobleEleanor Offline
Courting Chivalrous Fidelity

I can't get enough

Re: Gum? - September 24th 2014, 02:10 PM

Hello Justin,

Chewing gum is a very healthy and beneficial way to relieve stress and anxious feelings. It also helps you concentrate better. It's also recommended for coping strategies when someone is having a difficult time coping with feelings.

I'm not sure where you purchase your gum from but sometimes buying them in bulk is cheaper or if you have a dollar store of some sort where it's cheap to buy gum, these are some ideas. Another thing to think about is do you tend to buy gum at the check-out line before buying groceries or paying for something? Usually those can be more expensive than other places. I tend to purchase them in bulk, where 4 are together and I get 48 pieces of gum which range from 4-5 dollars. You can also buy multiple gum in a container which range from 60-80 pieces.

Justin, I do not think chewing gum is an unhealthy addiction. In fact chewing gum has many beneficial results.

Take Care.

Have questions or would like to chat send me a PM
+
Senior Article Editor | Newsletter Editor | Resource Editor
Outreach Ambassador | Social Media Guru
Community Moderator | Forum Moderator

Closed Thread