TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Chewing gum - November 20th 2014, 02:45 PM

So, I gave up smoking about three years ago and started chewing nicotine gum. It took me forever to give up chewing nicotine gum but I eventually switched to regular gum. I'm now addicted to chewing gum. I know it's a ridiculous thing to be addicted to but if I don't have my "fix" I will become grouchy and irritable. I smoke weed occasionally but I wouldn't call that an "addiction" to be perfectly honest, I've gone weeks without smoking it and it doesn't cause me any problems whats or ever. It's the gum I have more problems with now.

I'm going to be fitted with braces soon and people have told me that gum will get stuck in the braces, which makes sense.

I'm going to be so annoyed without chewing gum :') What can I do instead? What will help me get over this?

I know this is a ridiculous thing to be addicted to by the way.

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Chewing gum - November 20th 2014, 03:39 PM

It isn't ridiculous and just as valid as other addictions. I actually know someone who also has a chewing gum addiction and is trying to stop. She says it relaxes her but she wants to stop. Honestly to me chewing gum isn't horrible, just the artificial flavoring and the fact that I count it as "junk food" is what makes it a problem. And of course the fact that you are getting braces soon and chewing gum has become an addictive behavior.

I guess the first step is to find out what about gum is addictive to you? There are two components I imagine most are addicted to one or the other or both. There is taste and texture and there's the repetitive movement. Maybe that can get you started in finding a replacement that is not harmful to you. Best of luck.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Chewing gum - November 20th 2014, 05:01 PM

Everything really. The taste, the chewing, the texture. I've just associated the nicotine fix with chewing gum so chewing gum feels great now :') I could try mints I suppose.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Name: you can call me Rina

Re: Chewing gum - November 20th 2014, 06:54 PM

First off it's not ridiculous to be addicted to something. In my opinion I think that you should try to wean yourself off of it, instead of just replacing it with something else. You've already switched from smoking to nicotine gum to regular chewing gum, if you go from chewing gum to mints or anything else you just raise the risk of becoming addicted to that. Sometimes trying to replace a bad habit with a better one, you have an chance of getting addicted to that one. Especially since mints are similar to gum (at least minty gum) it can become an addiction like the gum. You might just want to try getting off the gum completely by having less pieces a day, or another technique. I'm sorry that you have an struggle with this, but you will get through it. If you ever want someone to talk to, please feel free to come to me. PM or VM me. Your not alone, I also struggle with a caffeine addiction so I understand how you feel.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Zedd Offline
sad
Not a n00b

Re: Chewing gum - November 24th 2014, 12:15 AM

Chew sugarless gum, it's much less sticky and works fine with braces. I have braces at the moment and it works fine for me.

"They say home is where the heart is, but what a shame, cause everyone's heart doesn't beat the same."

-Jesus of Suburbia

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: Chewing gum - November 26th 2014, 02:28 PM

ooooh, I do chew sugar-free gum anyway. I guess I could give it a go with braces. I may just wean myself off if it is possible with braces thanks.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: Chewing gum - November 26th 2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Creative Disaster~ View Post
First off it's not ridiculous to be addicted to something. In my opinion I think that you should try to wean yourself off of it, instead of just replacing it with something else. You've already switched from smoking to nicotine gum to regular chewing gum, if you go from chewing gum to mints or anything else you just raise the risk of becoming addicted to that. Sometimes trying to replace a bad habit with a better one, you have an chance of getting addicted to that one. Especially since mints are similar to gum (at least minty gum) it can become an addiction like the gum. You might just want to try getting off the gum completely by having less pieces a day, or another technique. I'm sorry that you have an struggle with this, but you will get through it. If you ever want someone to talk to, please feel free to come to me. PM or VM me. Your not alone, I also struggle with a caffeine addiction so I understand how you feel.
You make a great point about weaning off.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Matt_Davis Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Matthew

Re: Chewing gum - November 26th 2014, 07:59 PM

i chew a lot of gum to but i dont consider myself addicted . i dont think its stupid actually there are lot worst addictions

Closed Thread