TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
verolinia123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: lizz

taking control of my loved ones - June 2nd 2015, 10:02 PM

A family member of mines has been dealing with so much work in her life that she has now been taking Adderall . and its making her real sleepy and i feel like she may be addicted to them ... she is never around and she is not the same person anymore as she was before.. anyone else is going through it?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
SparklingWine Offline
Normality, my friends.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Lynds :)

Re: taking control of my loved ones - June 4th 2015, 05:05 PM

Hey there.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this! I actually have went through this with a parent, and it's tough. Seeing your parent in that state can be scary. Aderall *shouldn't* be making her sleepy. It's used to manage ADHD/ADD. A lot of the time it's used illegally to get high. I was diagnosed with ADHD/ADD, and one of the meds I've been prescribed in the past was Aderall. Aderall is a controlled substance, and is a stimulant. What that means is it will keep you awake, make you talk a lot, have loads of motivation to complete tasks, etc. It's legal speed, if you will. The only way I would think your mom would be on aderall and feel sleepy is if she is coming down off it. When aderall wears off, and this is the case for a lot of these types of pills, you get sleepy, headachey, and moody.

Have you tried approaching your mom? I know that can be scary, but it's worth you letting her know how you feel. If she is in fact addicted to these pills, I suggest talking to a family member that can help. Express your concerns to them, and hopefully they have ideas as to how you can get your mom help.

Most importantly, above all, is you. I'll warn you- if she is addicted to these pills, she will only get clean if she truly wants it. Make sure you're getting support for yourself too. Do you have anyone you can talk to? You don't have to go through this alone. I know how scary it was for me to watch my mom pull shots late into the night and knowing I personally couldn't do anything about it. Having someone while you go through this can make a world of difference.

Take care<3
-Lynds

Send a message via AIM to SparklingWine Send a message via MSN to SparklingWine  
Closed Thread