TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Butter Offline
Appears at the worst times
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Butter or Bratwurst

Red face I need to spread awareness of Dermatiliomania. - June 6th 2015, 05:58 AM

Hey,

People call me Butter or Bratwurst, depending on how you know me. I've had a condition called Dermatiliomania for a little over a year now. I simply refer to it as Derma, as it's a pretty long word. It's a ocd/anxiety fueled obsession with having nice skin. Except we would rather bleed than have a small bump for 3 days.

I can kinda trace my derma back to a source. I remember seeing a picture on Twitter, captioned with something like "what ppl with acne wearing makeup look like". The picture was of a Cookies and Cream Crunch Bar, flipped upside down so it's rough random mountains of white chocolate on the back stuck straight up. I knew that pimples were bad, but now just completely colorless bumps? Have people been laughing at me for looking like a Cookies and Cream Crunch Bar?

I decided I was going to fix it.

I remember that the first part that I started picking on was my chest area below my neck but before my breasts. I popped every bump like a pimple, which would send up a little disgustingly satisfying white snake, the culprit of my bumpy skin. I felt good when I saw that. I felt cleaner. Even though my chest was red, blotchy and possibly bleeding, it was better than being a crunch bar. I did it everywhere. I had no control. I did it in earth science and people would stare. I was the girl who tore her skin off.

I can't remember what went next, but my face was the worst. The pores on my face are naturally big, and naturally triggering as a imperfection to me. My cheeks and nose had it the worst. Often I'd leave class to pick at my face. Often I had no skin on my nose and scabs all over my cheeks. People thought I had some kind of contagious disease. My attention was enough to send them into a fit of laughter.

I pick everywhere on my body that I can see. Shoulders? Yes. Arms? Yes. Chest? Yes. Breasts? Yes. Stomach? Feet? Wrists? Nipples? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

I pay the price for that every day. People stare and laugh at me. I'm constantly worried about my skin. I got better and I'm learning to decrease the damage on my arms and chest, and my face is going really good.

It won't ever really go away I'm sure. But it rests over vacations from school. My goal this year is to let it sleep for the summer vacation and never let it wake back up.

My reason for sharing this story is so spread awareness of this weirder disorder. I hope I can help somebody identify themselves and get on the path to victiory.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
cynefin Offline
Broken crayons still color.

TeenHelp Addict

Re: I need to spread awareness of Dermatiliomania. - June 6th 2015, 06:09 AM

Thanks for sharing your story with us! That's really brave of you.

Articles & Resources Officer|Senior Newsletter Editor|Forum & Community Moderator

The wild woman has
a deep love of nature,
a love for the ancient mother,
though possibly misunderstood,
it has always been her.
When she goes into
the wilderness
a part
of her soul is going home.
-Shikoba-

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: I need to spread awareness of Dermatiliomania. - June 6th 2015, 02:34 PM

Hey there,
I can relate to this as I've been doing it since I was around 3 years old. It can be a hard concept to wrap your head around if you don't experience it yourself so I commend you for sharing this and I hope it helps a bit to share your story about this condition.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
verolinia123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: lizz

Re: I need to spread awareness of Dermatiliomania. - June 9th 2015, 08:42 PM

very brave of you to post (:
thank you for sharing.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Re: I need to spread awareness of Dermatiliomania. - June 10th 2015, 09:17 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. I had honestly never heard of this before so thanks for educating me too!

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

Closed Thread