TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

BFRB-Free? - June 11th 2015, 05:53 AM

BFRB= Body Focused Repetitive Behavior.
I didn't want to put it under the SH umbrella because it's not always self harm. It kinda needs its own category. SO for all of you BFRB sufferers, how long have you been free from doing these behaviors?

This is a definition from Wikipedia. I know, not the most scholarly out there, but it's accurate.
Quote:
Jump to: navigation, search
Body-Focused Repetitive Behavior (BFRB) is an umbrella name for impulse control[1] behaviors involving compulsively damaging one's physical appearance or causing physical injury.[2]
The main BFRB disorders are:[3]
BFRB disorders can also include Dermatophagia (compulsive skin biting), biting the insides of the cheeks, lip picking, blemish squeezing, and Rhinotillexomania (compulsive nose picking).[2] BFRB disorders are not generally considered obsessive-compulsive disorders.[3]
I actually do most of these things I've been a few minutes free. Your turn?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
belahla Offline
I've been here a while

Re: BFRB-Free? - June 11th 2015, 05:29 PM

I picked for about a year when I was 15-16. I stopped around the second week of February 2001. So that was a bit over fourteen years ago.

I picked because I was going through a period where I felt really anxious. I think it stopped because I started hormones and moved into the dormitory at my school. That definitely improved things for me, and I didn't feel as anxious after that.

I actually spoke about it in counseling a few weeks ago, and my counselor said the reason I gave was most likely why I was picking.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
anemoia Offline
s q u i d s q u a d

I can't get enough

Re: BFRB-Free? - June 12th 2015, 08:53 AM

Wow, I never knew about these disorders. I'm not self-diagnosing and I'll check with my doctor about it, but I do three of these things. Excessive skin picking/biting and nose picking (gross, I know).

I've been 'free' for about a couple minutes considering I was just unconsciously biting my lip. I do a lot of it unconsciously, so it's hard to stop for long.

pm / vm

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: BFRB-Free? - June 13th 2015, 01:27 PM

Thank you both for sharing. I guess I just find the SH-free thread "too easy" because cutting isn't my main form of SH whereas skin picking/lip peeling is my primary reason for my scars. Not that I don't struggle with cutting urges. It's just that I can actually prolong it if I tried really hard. But skin picking is something I can't go a day without and it's becoming more and more of a problem because I've actually been trying to stop.

[quote=Reminiscence.;1190805]
I picked because I was going through a period where I felt really anxious. I think it stopped because I started hormones and moved into the dormitory at my school. quote]
That's really good you've managed to stop for over 14 years.
I had a similar instance with biting my shirts. I did that for a few years in elementary school and then I just grew out of it I guess but probably because my anxiety reduced as I learned some ways of coping. The same thing happened for picking my nails. One time it bled really badly and somehow it grossed me out and I never did it since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Shimmery Queer~* View Post

I've been 'free' for about a couple minutes considering I was just unconsciously biting my lip. I do a lot of it unconsciously, so it's hard to stop for long.
That's what makes it hard for me to stop too
So now I realize this thread might not actually go anywhere because I definitely do a lot of it absentmindedly. Then the rest of the time I am doing it for SH reasons, but it's still different

Closed Thread