TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
justine.musey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: justine

Question trichotillomania - June 21st 2015, 05:59 AM

I don't know where to start......

When I was around 11, Iwas watching tv, and I was pulling out my hair on top of my head. I looked in the mirror and there was a bald spot. I let it grow, and that is fine now!
But.. Just this year (age 14\15) I picked at my eyebrows. I don't know why....but I looked in the mirror the next day and half of my right eyebrow was gone

I covered it with makeup, and tried to fill it in, but my mom found out and thought I tried to shape them. At the time, I didn't know about trichotillomania, so I thought I was alone.

I still need to tell my mom, but I'm afraid she will say " oh no you don't have it"...I wonder if I do.
It's not as severe as some people. I pick at my eyebrows, eyelashes, and my forearm hair.

I guess I'm just looking for ways to tell my mom, and do I actually have trich?
Thank you

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Skyline Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Skye

Re: trichotillomania - June 21st 2015, 07:38 AM

Hi there I personally do not know anyone with trichotillomania, but I've read a little bit about it. I think that if you're pulling your hair to a point where you are unaware of how much you are pulling off (like the eyebrow incident), it's probably past the "normal" milestone, so you should tell your mum... Tell her everything, starting from the time you were eleven and pulled out so much hair it made a bald patch on your head, tell her that you weren't trying to shape your eyebrows but that you were just semi-consciously pulling at your eyebrow hair, tell her the full story. If she tries to brush it off, insist that you are concerned and that you'd really like to see a doctor about it.

Good luck!

Skye

"You shall love your crooked neighbour / with your crooked heart."

(#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: trichotillomania - June 24th 2015, 06:04 AM

Hi, Justine!

No one here can tell you if you have trichotillomania or not since we aren't professionals to be able to diagnose anyone, but from what you explained, there are similarities and I do understand why you would be concerned. Regardless of whether or not you have trichotillomania, pulling your hair out is still an issue and could become a bigger issue if it goes on. Which is why I think it's really great that you want to reach out to your mom about this!

I understand that you're afraid she may dismiss your concerns, but I still suggest talking to your mom about this. Might be a good idea to wait till a time when she's not too busy so that she can fully focus on the conversation. Kindly and politely ask her if she could listen with an open mind because you want to talk to her about something that's been bugging you. Tell her the full story, that when you were younger, you pulled out hair on your head. And explain to her that you did the same thing with your eyebrows and you weren't trying to shape them.

Let her know how it feels, that you don't know why you do it and that you're really concerned that you may have trichotillomania. Explain it the best way you can so that she has more insight on what it's like for you. Perhaps you could print out a description of what is it from the internet to show to her so that she has a better understanding of it?

Secondly, if this is concerning and affecting you in a negative way and causing you to pull out hair in noticeable areas then it might be a good idea to seek help for it. Would you be open to seeing your family doctor or a therapist about this? There's nothing wrong with seeking help when you're concerned about something or struggling with an issue and it might be good to do if you find yourself continuing to pull out hair or even doing it more often.

Hope this helped. Take care!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Not_here Offline
I can't get enough

Name: nobody

Re: trichotillomania - June 27th 2015, 04:44 PM

Hey Justine,
I don't know where you live but this site can offer you a variety of resources including a directory of support groups. Support groups can be helpful especially for something like trich that can make you feel so alone . There may also be support groups for parents of hair pullers in your area. Another thing is printing out information and giving it to your parents. I think there may be an article about how to do that on the link I've given you.
Regardless of a diagnosis, support groups is a great way to connect with people of similar struggles. I went to one in my area for skin pickers and/or hair pullers and though most of them were hair oullers I found it helpful.

Closed Thread