TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BLAGHT Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Cracking Neck & Picking Eyelashes - October 2nd 2015, 05:40 PM

I don't know why I do it so much. My neck is always stiff, so I feel like I always have to twist and crack my neck. I also crack my back, but not that much so I don't worry about it. People look at me and my family tells me to stop when I crack my neck because I could spin, crack, and twist my neck for 10 minutes straight! It is causing structural damage and it makes me look stupid. I have seen chiropractors but my mom said that when the chiropractor snaps my neck that it is bad for me. When mom said to get massages it provides relief for about an hour, but the chiropractors snap it, it helps for a day or two. Now, the eyelashes... Occasionally I feel like there is something in my life eye. I pick every single eyelash out until I am bald on my eyes. And the funny thing is, my eye still feels like it has something in it! Any advice on what I should do? How can I stop doing this?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Cracking Neck & Picking Eyelashes - October 2nd 2015, 07:30 PM

Hi there!

This sounds like a bit of a frustrating habit to overcome for you. I'm sorry you deal with this feeling in your neck.

While I'm not certain, I've heard that cracking your neck can cause injuries to your neck and issues later on as you most likely already know since you said you're experiencing issues from it already. But I understand why you would do it if you always have an uncomfortable or even painful feeling as if you need to do it. Have you tried going a few weeks or a month to see if the tension eventually eases up to the point where you don't feel the need to crack your neck? It might be a good idea to try that out if you can.

Can you try other things to help reduce the tension in your neck? Taking a warm bath/shower, using a heating pad around your neck and even doing simple neck massages yourself could help relax the muscles in your neck. Secondly, do you know if anything in particular is contributing to the stiffness you feel in your neck? If so, resolving or improving it could then improve this problem. For example, stress, sleeping positions and bad posture are just a few things that could cause tension in your neck.

As for your eye, do you know if anything scratched it? If anything got in your eye, a tiny piece of paper or an eyelash for example; it could cause a scratch which might make it feel as there's something in your eye. However, I have no idea what it is! I suggest seeing your doctor and explaining how it feels. Hopefully the doctor could figure out what's causing this feeling and suggest ways to relieve it.

Do you know why you began pulling out your eyelashes in the first place? Is it directly due to the feeling you get in your eye or do any other factors contribute such as stress? My suggestion is to search for alternatives that help you with this urge and do your best to be conscious about it so that you can catch yourself before you actually go through with pulling an eyelash out. Figure out when you are most likely to pull out your eyelashes. Is it when you're watching TV, just waking up or when you're going to sleep? Go from there and do things that keep your hands busy such as tapping a pencil when you're in a situation where you aren't busy. Otherwise, immerse yourself in distractions until it becomes less of a habit. Changing up your patterns might help too. When you normally feel like pulling at your eyelashes, do something different in its place instead.

Not sure if it did or not but I hope this helped some. I wish you the best of luck!

Closed Thread