TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DomoKay Offline
Fire behind her eyes
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kay

How to wean off of social media? - January 2nd 2017, 11:32 PM

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to social media, but I definitely spend way too much time on it. When I look and see how much time I spend on Facebook, it makes me think what other things I could be doing with my life instead of watching other people's lives, being envious, constantly checking for likes and comments. I find myself taking pictures and thinking to myself "oh I can't wait to post this to Facebookand Instagram, etc". I think it brings a lot of negativity to my life and is toxic at times. Especially when it gets to controversial things like politics, religion, and judgement/gossip, it really infuriates me. I will get really worked up over people's posts.

How would you recommend weaning off or taking a break completely? I struggle because I feel connected to people being far away from them, but the endless hours I spend is wasteful and I could be spending more time on self-care and hobbies. I've tried deleting the app on my phone for a few days at a time but always re-download it. I know people who have gone off of all social media and they said they were so happy they did, I just need some help to commit and get motivated.

we've escaped our capture

Laugh loudly, sing like no one's listening, dance like no one's watching, stay in the moment, get that adrenaline pumpin', deep breaths, be easy on yourself <3 PM me

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nightblood. Offline
jus drein jus daun
I've been here a while

Re: How to wean off of social media? - January 2nd 2017, 11:51 PM

Honestly, the best way is to just delete it. For Facebook you can deactivate your account, though logging in will reactivate it. Or you can delete it completely, meaning you can never get it back and would have to create a new one. For me, I found the only way to stay off was to deactivate. I also replaced my social media apps with games, because using my phone to check things was such a habit. Games did help keep me from redownloading social media. Any time you find yourself wanting to check something, find something else to do. Remind yourself that you need a break.

You could also see if someone would help you set up parental controls on your phone that prevents you from getting those apps again. I'm not entirely sure how controls work though.

"We all have battle scars, Finn. Suck it up and build a brace for yours."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Edward Elric Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: How to wean off of social media? - January 3rd 2017, 02:46 AM

I really like the idea of replacing it with a game. I also think deleting it is just the best way to go. You have to just push yourself not to redownload them and remind yourself that you don't need them.

I have also heard of people limiting themselves to 30 minutes of social media a day in case that's more up your route. What they do is they let a 30 minute timer on their phone and let it run when they're using any social media. Once it's up - you're not suppose to get back on it for the rest of your day. I can see how that can be challenging too but it's something to think about.

You could also try these options or others out and maybe reward yourself if you stick to it with something small for every month or every few weeks.

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Brittany

Re: How to wean off of social media? - January 3rd 2017, 05:04 AM

I definitely understand being on Social Media too much. I am definitely guilty of that! What I've been trying to do is leaving my phone in another room, turning it off, distract myself with a book.

I find it does help most of the time. I will continue to think of ideas for you to try and use!

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

HelpLINK Mentor | Live Help Mentor | Article Editor
Forum & Chat Moderator

(#5 (permalink)) Old
PlasmaHam Offline
Not a n00b

Re: How to wean off of social media? - January 6th 2017, 03:14 AM

You need to somehow make it impossible for you to access social media at the rate you are currently. I suggest you get one of your friends or a parent to set up parental controls on your phone so that it would be impossible for you to access Facebook or other social media sites and apps from your phone. You can also do the same for your PC.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
#We Will Rise Offline
Love is > your mistakes
I can't get enough

Re: How to wean off of social media? - January 13th 2017, 04:15 PM

I am not sure how it would work on a cell phone but you can download an app for Mac or PC that will allow you to set website limits. This app will allow you to either allow only certain sites or their are applications that will allow you to set time-limits for sites. There is a free program for Windows and one for Mac I believe. I cannot think of the name but I used to use it and it helped when I used it.

"i don't care your intentions. I just want you to know my self-hatred never took me where I wanted to go. At the end of the day...I can pick at the pain but I can't cut it away."

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer

Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Re: How to wean off of social media? - January 13th 2017, 04:44 PM

I completely understand! I try to limit what I post, or else I would post everything. So I tell myself I am only allowed to post things about myself and my family that are positive and uplifting. I don't post things that are "bragging", no one wants to see that designer bag you got for your birthday... no one. Staying humble and positive is important to me. And I try to post the things that I would want to see. I don't do selfies, because seriously, no one wants/needs to see pictures of your face over and over. Maybe once a year I will add a new picture of myself, just so its current, but nothing more than that. My profile pictures are almost always my husband and I or my family and I. And I never share posts, particarly not politcal or religious. If I agree with something, I will like it or comment on it, but never share. I try to put out on facebook what I want to get back. I try to be the positive example. That's how I handle my social media issues.

So maybe the best course is not to delete it or remove yourself but create rules and guidelines on how you use it. Perhaps ask yourself, how does this post reflect the real me? How does it bring positivity and love to my friends and family? How does it uplift those around me? Turn something that can be ugly (like bragging and vainness) into something good. It will make yourself feel good and it will set a positive example for those around you.

My two cents.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for nine years::
~Blessed Be~

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Lionheart Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Oliver

Re: How to wean off of social media? - January 19th 2017, 05:21 PM

I understand where your coming from. I used to spent lots of time on the internet (not necessarily just facebook but others as well) and in fact it didn't do me any good.
What i did first was delete the App from my phone and only used facebook in the evening when i was on my computer. It's hard at first but if you tell your friends, they can only reach you via facebook in the evening, then most of them stick to it and it will definitely get easier over time.
Also, you can make a set time, where you'll use facebook. Like, you tell yourself you'll only use it from 6 pm to 8 pm or something like that. Again its hard at first and annoying but you'll get used to it quickly. And its not like your out of the world, cause they can alway text you on the phone if its something important and if you wanna talk with someone you can always make exceptions and stay online for a little longer (just not every day)
Thats what I found to be the best way to stay off of facebook and co. Cause compleately cutting it off doesn't work (or at least didn't for me)

It's ok to give in to an urge or make a mistake. You are only human and we all have our flaws. We all have our weak moments and we all make mistakes. Thats what makes us human.
Thats what makes us unique and beautiful

Courage isn't always a loud roar. Sometimes it is a quiet whisper at the end of a day saying: Tomorrow I will try it again!

Closed Thread