TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Thegoodguy Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Louie

Exclamation Magic and Liquor - May 13th 2017, 04:48 AM

Hi my name is Louie and I am addicted to magic mushrooms and I am also an alcoholic. I started drinking four years ago and I've been taking shrooms for two years​ now. I drink at least two beers a day and if it's around I'll drink something​more expensive such as Jack or vodka.I take shrooms once a day and when I don't have it I feel uneasy.At this point in time its gone bad enough to where im either tripping out or drunk during school.I understand what I'm doing is bad for my health and I try to stop but I feel like I need it no matter what as if it's keeping me alive.Please I need help of any type of advice to help me over come my problem I don't like being in this state of mind anymore.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Orenda. Online
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam

Re: Magic and Liquor - May 13th 2017, 06:23 AM

Hey Louie,

Recognizing that you have an addiction and reaching out to us here are some great first steps to take! I know it isn't always easy to admit to yourself or others that you have a problem, so you should be very proud of yourself for posting this thread.

Have you opened up to anyone in your life about your addiction? If not, it might be something for you to consider. It might seem scary to do, but people that are a part of your day to day life will be able to provide you with more hands-on support. While opening up to a friend could be beneficial, opening up to a trusted adult could be even more helpful. My first recommendation would be to go to your parents but, if you're not comfortable doing so, you could also reach out to another trusted adult in your life. They'll be able to help you seek out resources that are available to you, such as rehab centers or support groups, and work with you to explore your different options and figure out what your next steps should be.

It's completely understandable if telling someone in your life about your struggles with mushrooms and alcohol is something that you need time to do. If that's the case, there are a few things that you can do in the meantime.
  • The first would be to try to find healthy substitutions for the moments you want to indulge in your addictions. While it might not have the same feeling or effect, finding an activity that you enjoy (preferably one that gets you out of your house or other places where these things are available to you) will give you something else to do to avoid giving in to temptation. You could try going to a coffee shop, exploring new places in your neighborhood, or working out, as some examples.
  • The second thing to try is to think about the negative effects that continuing to give into your addiction can have on your life. I did some snooping on your profile and saw that you're on the track team at your high school. If your coach finds out what you're doing, it's possible that you could be kicked off the team and, in turn, could lose any future chances at athletic scholarships if you were planning to continue in college. You can also try to stop and think about the effect that it will have on the people in your life and your relationships with them if you don't make an effort to beat your addiction. If you do choose to do this, it might be a good idea to write down the things that you come up with on a piece of paper that you can keep in your wallet or pocket at all times. Having it with you throughout the day will give you the chance to read it every time you feel the urge to give in.
I know you can beat this addiction! While it may not seem like it right now, you are stronger than your vices. If you're willing to put in the work and hold yourself accountable on the road to sobriety, I'm confident that there will come a day where you're able to resist giving in to the temptations completely.

If you want to talk about this more or just need someone to help hold you accountable, feel free to shoot me a PM anytime! You've got this!

Take care,
Sammi

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Magic and Liquor - May 13th 2017, 10:57 AM

Thank you Louie for reaching out.

The secret to addiction is people keep doing it even after they consciously decide they want to stop. This is pretty much the definition of addiction. You don't realize you're caught until you try and back out and discover it's not that easy.

The other secret is addiction is a stress disorder. It happens when people are stressed. They turn to drugs and alcohol to alleviate the stress. When they are not stressed, then they have no problem not using drugs or alcohol.

So the secret is to find other ways to mitigate stress.

The other secret is detoxing, where if you've been doing some drug and/or alcohol for a long time, there may be a period of withdrawal when you first stop that will really suck as your body adjusts and gets used to not having the drug and alcohol anymore. (Also, it's good if you don't just substitute cigarettes or coffee for the drug or alcohol, as that's just substituting one addiction for another.)

A doctor or detox center may be able to assist with the detoxing period. Or you can just ride it out. (Some people end up getting arrested, and they detox the hard way in jail. It's harsh but it works.)

Then, to mitigate stress, people go to AA and NA meetings. There people find comradely, they feel a part of a group, they feel accepted, being surrounded by other people just like them who accept them as they are can have a very positive powerful effect. There are variations of these groups: If you want more religion, look for a Celebrate Recovery group. If you want less religion, look for a "We Agnostics" group at a Unitarian Church. (The AA and NA groups are kind of a hybrid non-religious "higher power" compromise they came up with when the group was originally formed when half of the people wanted more religion and the other half wanted less, so they compromised on something that satisfied no one but everyone could tolerate it so the groups survived. It really doesn't matter, the power is in the group itself.)

Other ways include Meditation (mindfulness meditation, guided meditation, try the "Headspace" app, look for some local meditation groups in your area, maybe there's a Buddhist meditation group), Yoga, Tai-Chi, Qi-Gong, (those are Meditative Motion exercises). These are ways of focusing the mind, which alleviates stress <via a hand waving explanation that I can not explain, but it works if you do it for a few weeks>.

Exercise.

Stay away from triggers. Anything that reminds you of drugs or alcohol. Any special containers used for consuming alcohol, or for consuming the drugs, get rid of them. If your midbrain sees them, you're toast. Stay away from places where you used drugs. If you associate your apartment with drug use — move. Sorry, but every time your midbrain sees your apartment, it will think it's time to use drugs and drink, and you're toast. (This is known as "Sign Tracking", where the brain becomes addicted not to the drug itself, but to the sign which indicates it's about to get some drugs, e.g. the drinking glass, or drug container. Rats can be trained to become addicted to a metal bar if they are shown a metal bar just before given a food pellet. Pretty soon they start trying to bite the metal bar.)

Let's see. Guilt. It's not your fault. It's not somebody else's fault. It's possible it's nobody's fault. Imagine a mechanical clock that doesn't work. We suspect there is a broken part inside. We open the clock, inspect all the parts, and discover each and every part is in perfect pristine condition. How is this possible? The clock doesn't work! It's possible because we overlooked one possibility. It's possible the overall design of the clock was defective. The design of the clock, how all the parts are positioned and interact with one another, it's possible that's where the problem is. Thus it's possible for a system with no broken parts to still malfunction. And it's possible for a system of people with no defective people to still end up with someone addicted to drugs and/or alcohol, even though no one is at fault, because the problem lies in the design of the system itself.

So if we're not defective, that means we can't control it, which is step 1 of the 12 steps. (Sorry I forget how this goes. I think the actual argument was better than I'm putting it here.)

But there's a loophole, because step 2 says there's a higher power, so maybe we can get this higher power to fix our problem for us. But it doesn't say this higher power will fix things for us, instead it says this higher power will restore us to sanity. Because our real problem really isn't that we have a problem, our real problem is that we are upset by our situation, and being upset is something that we actually can control.

We can ultimately train our brains to let go of being upset by our problems. We'll still have problems, we just won't be upset by them anymore.

Well that's all I can remember off the top of my head.

There's a good video by a doctor on youtube on addiction that's worth watching.

Dr. Kevin McCauley Is Addiction Really a Disease? (Yes it is)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2emgrRoT2c

This gives a brain idea of what's going on in the brain. The treatment is to surround yourself with other supportive people who will help you through it, and know that you are not alone, as there are many, many other people out there who have gone through the same thing, and step 12 is "passing it on to others", so they are all out there ready to help the next person who reaches out for help.

Best wishes!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread