TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ladytrumpet Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

addicted to pushing myself - September 24th 2017, 04:00 AM

this is kind of a weird addiction (is it even an addiction) but i just don't feel normal unless i'm doing something at 300%. I feel guilty taking a break or hanging out with friends or doing anything that isn't super productive. I have been hospitalized for suicide and they just said i was pushing too hard, but i can't stop doing more and more and more until i break. i guess i'm just a workaholic, but i just can't shake the feeling that it's wrong to have fun.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Golfing girl Offline
HelpLINK Mentor

Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emma

Re: addicted to pushing myself - September 28th 2017, 09:27 PM

Hello,

I'm sorry that you are having a hard time with this right now. You can go to work, but you still need to have time for yourself too. When you are just working all of the time and you are not hanging out with you're friends or doing something that you enjoy that's when you can become angry and upset and like you said you ended up in the hospital for suicide. You can work, but you also need to have some down time and some time for yourself and when all you are doing is working all of the time, you can start to get angry and depressed and not like how you feel. It's because all you are doing is one thing, and you can do this one thing very well and that's great. But, can you find some things that you enjoy to do. For example do you like drawing or reading or writing or going for walks you can have music on. You can try any of these or other things that you enjoy doing and when you get home from work or before you can do one or few of them to help you to be calm and not so going all of the time. Also the next time you're friends ask you to do something with them, try to go with them and have fun. I hope that it gets better for you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Abbidabbidoo Offline
My life is my baby boy Jackson
Not a n00b

Re: addicted to pushing myself - October 8th 2017, 04:31 PM

This one is really a tough one because the body tells us we need time to relax and shut down from time to time. There is certainly however nothing wrong being a hard worker or a go getter, but your problem seems to stem when is it enough and it is time to relax. You don't seem to have that point in your life.

Here is my suggestion to you and this may work or may not work. I am certainly not an expert at this sort of thing because this is really the first time I ever heard someone who struggles with this. It is certainly sounds like a true struggle. So do you have any hobbies that you really don't consider work and are fun that you can fill in those times where you may need to stop the 300% Hard Work and just do something with your time that you enjoy but it is more an enjoyable hobby. You are still accomplishing something, but it is something that may be more of a stress release for you or relaxing. Just an opinion to see if it helps a little.

Closed Thread