TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dust and Ash

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Aiyannah

Picking at scabs - September 17th 2018, 10:15 PM

Okay, so I have a huge problem with picking at scabs. At first I would do it just to see if it was healed, but now it is like I must pick at scabs. Just... it is so disgusting and I feel gross for always picking at my scabs. I don't know how to stop it, and it is making my face, arms, legs, and feet scar up horribly.

When the world drags you down, roll over and smell the roses.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Celyn Offline
~One Skittles Minion~

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Holly

Re: Picking at scabs - September 19th 2018, 04:58 PM

Scabs can be tempting to pick, I know, especially if you want to see if it's healed. Perhaps when you are tempted you can try to remind yourself that by picking scabs, you are delaying the healing and potentially causing scarring?

Notice as well when you are tempted to pick at the scabs...is it when you are on your own and bored? Or when you are showering or looking in the mirror? When you notice these things you can work out ways to distract yourself instead. For example, if you are on your own and bored, find something engaging to do or have a chat with someone. Try to avoid spending too much time in the mirror if it's only making you tempted etc.

You could try putting plasters/band aids on to prevent you from being tempted to pick at scabs. Or you can try using fidget toys, stress balls etc., anything to keep your hands busy!

HelpLINK and Live Help Officer
Feel free to PM me! Even if I canít help, Iím always going to listen <3
SKITTLIFY!

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread