TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Some stuff about addictions I was told during an intervention. - July 20th 2009, 12:30 AM

The other day my boyfriend and his dad took me out for a walk and basically had a 2-person intervention. While it was meant for my cutting addiction (yes, I'm so screwed up I turned non addictive substances into addictive substances) but his dad talked about most any addictions. Including cutting, drugs, eating, sex, anything really. Because as he explained, they're all the same.

And there is no 'safe coping mechanism' like them. There are alternatives, but even something like running too much can be unhealthy if done too much. He himself said he got addicted to exercise getting ready for a triathlon. It was actually quite unhealthy for him. His family said they thought he had aids.

Anything can be addicting. For me, it was cutting because I had relied on the release and the help for so long, I couldn't get by any other way. I've been told I am so addicted to this I have the symptoms of an alcoholic without the alcohol.

He finished off his speech with the best part… He explained that though one may be addicted to something, they shouldn’t try to hide it. In my case, I will not be ashamed that I am addicted to cutting, that I am a cutter. It is who I am and is ‘the way God made me’ I am simply not going to change this, and I am never going to erase it from myself. What I can do however is go day by day, making each day a battle with my addiction and desire to hurt myself, and stopping myself from doing so by doing little things. Calling someone, going for a nice walk, playing my guitar. But being careful not to do the same thing over and over again in risk of depending on that one thing too much and making something healthy, unhealthy.

I sure hope this makes sense to you all. All in all, the first day I was alone with my boyfriend and was feeling the effects of not cutting for 4 days straight when he made me realize that what I was doing was dangerous. He said that if I continued with it, I’d end up in the hospital or in the dirt, as I’ve come close to doing. The first day, I decided to quit for him. The second day when his dad talked to me about it, I decided to quit for myself as well. This is what you need to do to quite anything, realize that it is an addiction and a problem, and that no matter what it is, it can be related to drugs or alcohol or cutting. That it IS a part of you, and that there is no need to be ashamed of it. But what you have to do is go day by day to stop doing it.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Re: Some stuff about addictions I was told during an intervention. - July 20th 2009, 04:00 AM

that's interesting.

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Gidig Offline
Optimistic pessimist
I can't get enough

Name: Maria

Re: Some stuff about addictions I was told during an intervention. - July 20th 2009, 02:20 PM

I disagree. I'm not sure if your boyfriend's dad is a psychologist or something, but really? I would rather read all day every day than snort cocaine all day every day. My dad is now addicted to caffeine, somehow I prefer that over alcohol.

While you can have too much of a good thing, I don't think this is a place where you should be worrying about that really.

I mean plus, it's not like any other drug, drugs can have physical withdrawals.
Exercise too is also different because it's releasing chemicals within your body and all that.

Yeah, I just overall disagree with the idea that that anything repetitive is bad for you. I'm addicting to brushing my teeth at least once every day, but I'm not going into rehab. xD

The best wayout is always through~
-Robert Frost

Proud member of the LGBT community.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
TheBabyEater Offline
With A Sprinkle Of Cinnamon
I've been here a while

Name: Marissa

Re: Some stuff about addictions I was told during an intervention. - July 21st 2009, 04:24 PM

Personally, I think there's a difference between reading all day in your free time and brushing your teeth once a day, than refusing to stop reading and brushing your teeth every waking hour of the day and getting up in the middle of the night just to brush your teeth. That would be bad really... It would cut out from your social life and stuff. You wouldn't be excerising because you'd be reading on your butt all day. When it comes to common everyday things being addicted, I mean like. Really, really excessive.
Technically, it IS better to read all day than snort cocaine. But it's better to mix it up, because eventually reading won't do the trick to distract you. At lease that's the way it is with me. I always did the same thing to distract mself, eventually I got bored with it and was no longer distracted.

Also, if your psychological addiction is strong enough, like cutting for example, I think it IS possible to have phsycial withdrawls. Cutting itself has no phsyical addictions. Yet, when I tried to quit, I would get nervous, anxious, even nauseous which are all physical side effects.
If one fools themself to the point that they NEED something, their mind literally will do anything to get it because their body is used to it, suddenly it stops and your body reacts.

No, no one here is a psycologist I think. (Hell, his dad might be. but I'm not positive)
His dad just dealt with a lot of addictions whether physical or psycological in his life, and I'm dealing with a few as well.
No one says its right, it's mostly a matter of opinion.

Take me seriously.
I dare you.

Send a message via Skype™ to TheBabyEater 
Closed Thread