TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Winter

(Serious twitching problems) ( Please read if you can help!) - August 20th 2009, 04:53 AM

Okay, So First of all i would to say a thankyou to the people who replied
to my last thread about this problem I really apreciate it!

But anyway Haha The problem is is that i have bene twitching since April this year. I have bene twitching for litterly almost 6 months now.
Can you believe how hard and tiring that miust be for me? Becuase well,

It is Annoying, Tiring, and hard for me.

I started twitching back in 3rd grade because i was really stressed out and it became a HUGE HABIT FOR ME. I stoped after a few months,

Well then Now my parents think and are being stubborn And have bene saying that i was influenced by True Life I have Taurettes Syndrome?

They say that i think its "cool" it is not cool!

They started noticing me twitching about 6 to 7 weeks before i even discovered that episode. I thought it was an amazing episode about 3 people who struggled and came out of their taurettes syndrome.

Well my parents knew i watched it and i dont know how they could have forgotten about me twitching before the show came on. They would see me twitch uncontrolably way before it came on T.V.

Well it makes me mad and frustrated with my parents because now i get blamed over a T.V. show? My parents just dont understand me at all
i am innocent in all of this and i know what happened in the first place!

My mom said she is going to take me to the doctor and get an MRI scan of my brain if i dont quit. (What the hell?) she said she would make em put me on medcation too. (And i know that is not going to help at all its just going to make it worse probabley And it could make my depression way worse then it is and cause even more problems for me)

Thats my parents opinion on it. And to tell you the truth i dont "try" to make them believe i have taurettes its not my fault i just have a habit of twitching!

Basickley i force myself to jerk and well i just jerk. Its a huge habit for me.
i have caused for myself too.

I besicley jerk really hard at times, I put my head back on the chair, I hit myself and slap myself from the twitching at times on myhands, clap my hands, race my voice at times make weird noices, My feet twitch without me even trying and thats happen 2 times, Im pretty sure ive twitched in my sleep, um ive hit my head with my hands,

Its pretty tiring and annoying when you dont feel like doing that but you keep on doing it!
I just wanna stop

Ive talked to my doctor about it and said its normal fore some kids and that it could last for days, months, even years, But thats really all shes said. shes said to ignore it and it would probley go away but i cant ignore it its so hard not to twitch!

The problem is my parents parcially Becuase they wont listen and they dont understand! I hate people asking me why i twitch. And my said she want to help me but its not exactly working with how shes andeling it.

Ive talked to my counceler about it and it helped for a little while we did a technique but i cant remember what its called. haha

Well now that ive cleared up how i exactly "twitch" Now i can ask,

what do you think would help?

What recourses is there if ther is any?

What is your opinion on All of this?

ive talked to my doctor, my councelr, what else could i do???

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: (Serious twitching problems) ( Please read if you can help!) - August 21st 2009, 09:33 PM

Hey Jocelynn,

I think one thing you could try (if you haven't already) is having your doctor/counselor talk with your parents. Often times parents listen more to the professionals than they do to the kids. That can be frustrating, but true! Do you think you could ask your doctor to talk with your parents and explain to them that this isn't something you are voluntarily doing, and twitching is an involuntary behavior? The more your parents understand, the better.

I would also say to keep working with your counselor, keep working on those techniques and practicing them. It sounds like it was helpful, so keep it up! When people ask you why you twitch, you can simply tell them "It's just something I do, it's not something I choose to do, but it just happens". You might feel better letting them know that this is an involuntary thing, and therefore, not your "fault".

Hang in there--you're doing a great job with all of this!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
Closed Thread