TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
CageCardinal Offline
Wandering
Average Joe

Name: Vi

Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 18th 2009, 12:17 AM

This is going to sound pretty random.

I've always been very anti-smoking personally (no offense to smokers, I respect other people's decisions to smoke) but recently I've had this odd...thing where I want to "try everything just once" just so I can know what it's like, I can experience things, you know?

I'll just say this...I'm fifteen and my friend who smokes "socially" is barely fifteen. So for years I've been having these dreams about cigarettes and drugs and such. Usually they're normal cigarettes, and I'm smoking them in my dreams. In my dreams they taste SO good and I relax pretty easily, then I wake up wanting to have one yet I've never had one in my life.

Yesterday I was SO close to having my first one ever, I was holding my friend's lit cigarette between my fingers but I just couldn't. I was in my own neighbourhood and I didn't want to risk anyone seeing me, because smoking is just so against who I've always been. I don't want to change, and I don't want to become addicted to ANYTHING, because I always want to be in control. I will be the bitch to nothing and no one. I vowed to take as much care of my body as possible for my entire life, and I wanted to keep this vow. But I keep thinking about how I missed that chance, and I could have tried it. I'm basically dreaming about it, thinking about it, getting hot and bothered about the entire idea. I'm addicted to the idea of it. So...if I did it once, do you think this odd addiction will leave me and I'll feel better cause I know how it feels? Or is this weird psychology always going to be there...? What exactly should I do about this? 0_0

(P.S. If I put this is the wrong category I'm sorry lol.)

FINAL EDIT: I've been keeping strong but if anyone has any ideas or tips to contribute to maybe stop dreaming or thinking about it so much, please let me know.

Last edited by CageCardinal; September 18th 2009 at 08:41 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Nina Twin Offline
So It Goes
Average Joe

Name: Marlie Elizabeth

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 19th 2009, 03:28 AM

I really don't think it's a good idea to even try it if you haven't already. I doubt you'd get addicted to nicotine your first try, but why would you put yourself at risk?
You can't try everything once, anyway. Think of it this way: you wouldn't try physically hurting a child just because you've never done it before, would you? Then why should you do something that will physically hurt you?
You have the right idea - take care of yourself and your body. Try to keep this mindset and maybe avoid being around your friends while they're smoking so you don't have a chance to succumb to temptation.
I hope this could be of some help to you!

~Marlie
  Send a message via MSN to Nina Twin  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
CageCardinal Offline
Wandering
Average Joe

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 21st 2009, 12:14 AM

It's difficult to explain and I feel like an idiot trying, because you are right there.

I think I have a desire to know how things feel, overall. That drives me to want to try many things. I hope it's not silly.

But yeah thanks for your advise Nina. I'll do my best to keep up the straight edge vow I made

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alisha aka Summer

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 25th 2009, 01:13 AM

Okay, my whole life I said I would never even TRY smoking. When I was little I had those play cigarettes, and I would wonder if I would smoke or not when I was older, cuz I just wanted to know what it felt like, but like I said I told myself I would never, ever try it. But I wanted to!

When I was 15, the end of my freshman year in high school, I tried my first cigarette. About a year later I was paying about $12 a day for ciggs (I shared with friends though, a lot of mine went to them) and now I smoke about a half a pack a week or so. That is only because I am grounded. But still. If I wasn't grounded, probably a pack a week, maybe a few more.

Take what I told you and decide for yourself... (I am 16 still by the way, I'll be 17 soon, it did make it easier for me to get addicted though because I could and still can buy them myself) It is not that I got addicted that first time I smoked a cigarette, hell, I didn't even quite inhale right the first cig. But I liked the feeling, and the idea, and, I'm a teenager. It affects your decisions too.

To be honest, last school year I never thought I was truely addicted. I could go the whole school day without craving one, but I still wanted one. Then I went the whole summer smoking a LOT all the time every second I felt I wanted one, and then the first day of school this year, I realized I AM addicted. I practically shoved all my friends to the car (I am the only one with a car really, so all my friends ride with me) so that we could have a cig, and all my friends felt the same way.

Like I said, take what I just told you and decide. My suggestion would be not to even try it, although I don't regret it sadly.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
KoKoEm Offline
love's lookin' good on you =]
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 25th 2009, 01:42 PM

I understand the feeling of wanting to try one. One of my best friends smokes and she told me to try and smoke. I don't smoke much but want to more.
I think you should just make the decision for yourself, you seem to have great self-control, and others may not. (Alisha, if you see this, I'm not saying you don't have self control) So far, you've done a great job with not getting addicted to anything.
For me, it just made me calmer once I tried it, but maybe for you it wouldn't. Just because you try it doesn't mean you will get addicted from that first one. It takes more than just that first time of anything to get addicted.
You have to make that decision all for yourself. We can't tell you what to do, but take other people's stories and try to see how worth it you think it is.
<3 Em

This is how it ends
We believe every lie & say we'll still be friends
How long will it last
Before we scratch all the scripts & rework the casts
*Hourglass by the Hush Sound*

PM me =]

Current Craft Obsession: http://friendship-bracelets.net
Craft obsessions vary often.
  Send a message via AIM to KoKoEm Send a message via MSN to KoKoEm Send a message via Yahoo to KoKoEm  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
CageCardinal Offline
Wandering
Average Joe

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 25th 2009, 11:18 PM

ACK LOL. Thanks for the input guys. It's a struggle...but I'm staying out of it as of now. I just wish I could know for sure if it's worth doing. It doesn't help that I have a friend who smokes whos always offering them to me. Lordy.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
a_girlsdreams Offline
Average Joe

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 27th 2009, 12:31 PM

Stay strong.
Dont even try it.

Those desires and feelings will pass.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
CageCardinal Offline
Wandering
Average Joe

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 29th 2009, 02:07 AM

Yesterday I was faced with more temptation and I was just honest with her. Despite my curiosity and will to experience things at least once, I believe I should at least stay true to who I am and not smoke. Even if I do try it one day, I am positive that I will never become a smoker. But, for now, I'm not even trying it. I'll focus on just doing what's important first. It's too risky anyhow, because of my overbearing fretful mother. *cough* Another story for another day.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
tk338 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - September 30th 2009, 02:29 AM

I'm not a (big) smoker, but I have woken up the next day after heavy drinking, and been told I smoked, and feeling a very very rough throat, and thinking wow that hurts! I honestly cannot tell you what the first, second and third time are like, every other time I have I've liked it to be honest, and I see it not as an addiction, I'm out of money most of the time so will only smoke if offered, or when Im rich lol.

I was in the same position though, wanted and wanted to try, but never did, and the moment I broke that, I don't even remember, but its not something I regret (yet).

Impractical, but my personal advice; (mods delete if you like )

To be honest I'd ask some experienced smokers, get a really hard, rough cigarette, something that you'll hate, try it, and I doubt you'll want to do it again. You try something lighter, menthol-ey and chances are you will.

As you say your mother problem too, which like for me is one too, getting the smell off my clothes, breath and everything is so difficult, and unless I wash those clothes I know they will smell as I found out one time, waking up in the morning, coming back into my room and I could smell it...

Honestly? Try it; your not going to get addicted from one, least of all one drag, they're hard on the lungs, will make you cough and be horrible, dont look back . As you say it couldn't become an addiction anyway, parent wise, impossible!

What you want to hear... Sit there for the rest of your life telling yourself you never will...

How can one love themselves, when they love absolutely nothing?
Do something that is interesting. If it is not interesting, find out why it is not interesting.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
YAWN_ Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Maya

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - October 1st 2009, 09:45 PM

I used to be very very ani-smoking, my mum smokes, my dad used to smoke, my step mum used to smoke and my sister smokes... My mum has tried to stop countless amounts of times, but always comes back to it, partly because she's allergic to nicki patches, and the gum is revolting!! But then i came to highschool, a number of my friends smoke, one of them my closest friend, she's been smoking since first year, but i only started in 2nd, i'm now in 3rd year and she's in 4th...it's okay at frist, the light-headedness and the buzz you get from the nikitine, but have you read what's in tabacco? There's stuff that you can find in nail polish remover and even rat poison! and people are inhaliging that into there lungs.....One of my friends who is alot older then me was very ani-smoking, even more then i was, and then he got into smoking, then drugs such as dope, now he's back to just normal smoking, which still isn't good, but deffo better then drugs! I've never done drugs and i'm not planning on it, this week i've been quitting smoking, it's hard, very hard, i've only had twos(half) of one in 3 days, which i think is really good so far!, but i've been really stressed out and hate thinking that i need tabbacco to help me be not stressed....it's not good! i get to the point were i feel like screaming in class, i know when i'm older i'll prob smoke nown and again, but i hope i won't get addiced to it!

In my oppion don't bother with it, it's something that's going to be killing you every drag you take of it and is very hard to stop, good luck!

Love Isn't The Internet
Lets Have Some Fun this Beat Is Sick, I Wanna Take A Ride On Your Disco Stick

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Cammygirl Offline
Not a n00b

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - October 1st 2009, 10:18 PM

imo you won't get addicted just for trying it, however you can forget about it finally, and the tension it causes in your mind can leave. (i'm a bit biased though, i smoke a lot, BUT i got addicted because i wanted to get addicted, the first time it was so bad i thought i would die)

(#12 (permalink)) Old
anon513 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - October 7th 2009, 12:07 PM

Haha.. same thing happens for me, except its with weed. CIGGYS ARE BAD BUT WEED IS GOOD

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Candy Offline
U think it, but i'll ink it...
Not a n00b

Name: Candy

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - October 7th 2009, 02:17 PM

sorry to be the baddy,but i think u should try it. i amofficially someone who can say 'tried it, didnt like it/loved it' and i never wanted to be,' i wish i tried it..'. ur young have fun.

be responsible because that motto of mine has got me into trouble.go to a park or someone descreet. u'll only itch and fantasise more what it would be like so i say go for it. its not so great and maybe u'll realise that.
im officially addicted nad they're expensive and i am litteraly paying to kill myself!

Candy =)

(#14 (permalink)) Old
mommieof2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nellie

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - October 7th 2009, 09:18 PM

I smoke...and The first time i smoked a cigarette i didn't feel the urge to smoke one again. I was 13 i believe when i first had one...It was nasty to me then...As i got old and into middle and high school i tried it again and that's when i just started smoking, If you are really worried about becomming addicted to it then don't try it...I'm pretty positive if you took one puff off of it you wouldn't want more. Plus it will probably make you light headed if you smoke the whole thing.

*Nellie*
  Send a message via AIM to mommieof2  
  (#15 (permalink)) Old
Eros Offline
[01.12.08]
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Yeonie

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - October 16th 2009, 03:21 AM

Coming from an ex-smoker (I stopped a while ago, because my boyfriend asked me to), I know where you're coming from, because I felt the same way - it's how I started, actually.

Personally, maybe it's strong will - but it wasn't hard for me to quit - if you're afraid of getting addicted. It was the /habit/ of smoking for me that was addicting.

And normally I would say "try everything at least once" - but smoking's not one of them.
It's a health concern, and anything that puts your health in harm's way is not really the best idea.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Sugar Offline
Sugar
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katrina

Re: Addicted to the idea of smoking. - October 17th 2009, 04:51 PM

I agree Eros and usually i would say you should try everything at least one time, but if you become addicted to smoking, it's a very dangerous habit which in the long run will most probably kill you from lung cancer if you do become addicted and they are very expensive. I started smoking like last year and liked it and got addicted where i felt i needed them everyday but decided to stop because it's like asking to be ill. There's nothing exciting AT ALL about smoking, trust me. Just a nasty, addictive habit which makes your lungs go black and full of tar.

Good Luck
Sugar x

Nobody knows...
Nobody knows but me that i sometimes cry.

i <3 Pink!

Closed Thread