TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
dcowboys107 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

acceptance - February 10th 2010, 02:11 AM

Not too long ago I made a post about cheating on my girlfriend. No I kind of discovered that I have an addiction to acceptance to the point where I'll do "anything" to get it because I'm used to being the uncool kid. When it comes to girls, if one becomes flirty, etc I'll cheat on my girlfriend without "meaning" to. I also say stupid things sometimes and idk I guess I'm a weird guy.

I'm tired of being like this. What do I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: acceptance - February 11th 2010, 09:53 PM

Hey there.

Everyone wants to be accepted and part of a group so you are definitely not alone in that. Sometimes the best thing to do is to learn to love yourself for who you are and try not to care about what others think. I know that's easier said than done though. I think pointing out all the good things about yourself can help improve your sense of self. When you wake up in the morning look in the mirror and tell yourself 5 good things about you. It might seem weird at first, but it really can help you start to change the way you think about yourself.

As for the girls, I think you just have to stop and think before you do things. You hate being rejected, etc. by people and that's exactly what you are doing to your girlfriend when you cheat on her, however unintentional it may be. Maybe if you think about it in that sense it will help you stop. Also try not to get caught up in the moment. And if you have troubles stopping, don't put yourself in situations where you are going to be alone with girls other than the one you're dating.

I hope things start to get better for you. You can PM me anytime.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: acceptance - February 15th 2010, 10:34 PM

Everything Emily has said here is great advise.
I really do think the key to you coming out of this is to learn to appreciate yourself.

You have a girlfriend who accepts you for who you are. When you find yourself engaging with other women remember that. You don't have to take it when you can get it because you have a nice girl by your side.

You're not weird in the slightest, I imagine every single person on this website is guilty of the same thing just in different senses.

If these girls are coming onto you, you're accepted you don't need to follow through.

Closed Thread