TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Picking/biting my lips and nails - February 14th 2010, 08:42 PM

I always pick the dry skin off my lips, I do it when I'm nervous/anxious >.> I done it this morning until it was bleeding. Now my lip really hurts >.> I do the same with my nails but do it to my lips when there's not much nails left. Gah >.> I do it without thinking a lot. Does anyone else do the same with their lips? I don't think I've seen anyone else do it :/ what could you suggest me doing instead of this?

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ShAtTerEd HeaRt Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Winter

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - February 15th 2010, 01:59 AM

Oh yes, I do the same thing. not picking my nails but yes i do bite and squeeze my lips really hard. its really frustrating and it hurts too so i feel for ya, its always frustrating becuz ill put on my favorite lip gloss and then when i sueeze, bite, rub my lips together it drys off my lips and its not as shiny. for me i know when im doing it i just cant stop. i do it even when im not stressed out. hm, have you ever thought of getting methods off of google that may help with this problem?
i dont really know what cud work for you that well, sorry ):
but i wud try google out and see what comes up. and you r not alone whatsoever.

Pm me whenevr you need to (:

-winter

Met you from a tie between u and me buddy,
Saw you from my wired eyes with a twisted little lie, and my mind told me negative when i had a wish to own you with my heart, buddy and you split like twigs, senses told her i fell for him, and she told me "i loved him, and go get him" And while i said "negative he said "correct" <3

Me and ? = 3 days which =correct

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chazzz Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - February 15th 2010, 10:18 PM

I do it aaaall the time.

The best thing to help you stop biting your nails would be to use this special nail varnish. It's completely clear but tastes horrid. The second your finger goes in your mouth you get this bitter taste. My parents used it to try and get me to stop sucking my thumb years back. Ha.

Wasn't too sure about the lips, browsed Google and a similar suggestion is commonly given. Instead of using lip balm try to use face lotion or moisturisers. They generally won't taste too great so when you bite your lip again you get a nasty taste.
They also suggest to not lick your lips at all, this makes them go dry which you then end up biting.

Whenever you find yourself biting or about to bite your lips or fingernails, chew on something else, that won't damage your teeth obviously. Although I know that's a tricky one, if you're anything like me, you do it without even realising.

Good luck. :]

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Buffie-92 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bridget

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - February 28th 2010, 08:11 PM

I bite my nails - it's really frustrating sometimes, cause I want them to be long and pretty but gah I always revert to biting them!
have you tried fake nails? I know a lot of people who tell me to do this and do it religiously! if you break or bite one off, get a replacement right away
and they say soon your regular nails will be long enough to get a manicure and once they're pretty you won't want to bite them anymore

I pick my lips too! and usually until they bleed
get like a lip exfoliant, or massage them with a soft tooth brush (takes off dead/dry skin) and mosturize them daily as often as you can

good luck

but these are days we dream about
when the sunlight paints us gold
and this apartment could not be prettier
as we danced up there alone..

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Fanatic Offline
In Christ Alone ♥
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 1st 2010, 07:35 AM

Well, I would have to say I only bite my lips one in awhile so this isn't really considered a habit for me and I do have a huge problem with biting my nails. I would have to say put something that doesn't taste good to you on your nails or fingers such as hand sanitizer or paint your nails. You can also distract yourself or keep you busy. Listening to music, draw, write a story, etc..can keep you busy. My friend taught me another method to not bite your nails. You simply apply tape on each of your fingers and if you try to bite, it won't because you'll just bite at the tape. Hope that helped and good luck.

"I'm not a piece of cake for you to just discard
While you walk away with the frosting of my heart
So I'm taking back what's mine, you'll miss
The slice of heaven that I gave to you last night
." - "Cake" by Melanie Martinez

Send a message via Skype™ to Fanatic 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
fall to romance Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Brittany

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 2nd 2010, 01:49 AM

Recently I've taken to biting the inside of my lip almost constantly during the day. I don't even know I do it. But I also bite the dead skin off the outside of my lips too. Though, I don't usually do it until it bleeds. Not anymore.

-B
--

R.I.P. my sweet baby boy. I miss you so much more than you could have ever imagined.

"There was a moment in my life when I really wanted to kill myself. And there was one other moment when I was close to that. . . . But even in my most jaded times, I had some hope.-Gerard Way

(#7 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 2nd 2010, 09:40 PM

I pick my lips all the time. Remally annoying. Anyone has any tips, I'm all ears lol!

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Elle
Average Joe

Name: Elle

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 3rd 2010, 01:35 AM

I am the exact same. I get really fixated on my fingers, picking the skin around them until they bleed as well. My lips are always swollen, bruised and bleeding from the amount I bite and pick at them. It's only bad during really cold temperature when my lips seem to dry up so I just make sure I rub vaseline on them as much as possible which has a 75% success rate for me I'd say.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
*Rainbow*Rider* Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: H

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 3rd 2010, 02:05 AM

Keep your lips and hands moisturized and soft. Its when they dry out that you find the little bits that you compulsively chew/pull on. I'm the same. If you're aware of yourself doing it, then try and do something else. Chew your fingernails or play with your hair. Yeah, chewing your fingernails isnt a good habit either but its better then tearing raw skin.

If the world is a cold place
Make it your business to start some fires

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Chaos Theory Offline
Knowledge will truimph.
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 4th 2010, 07:11 AM

I always do that, in fact I am doing it now. If you are able to keep your lip moisturized, or use chapstick, you should slowly be able to get out of that urge. As for your nails, I know there are some kind of nail paint that are bitter but harmless you can put on your nail to remind yourself not to bite them.

To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the approbation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others; To give of one's self; To leave the world a bit better...; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived - This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

http://www.formspring.me/ToucheTurtle <-- Ask me a question

(#11 (permalink)) Old
BabyIndia Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: India

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 4th 2010, 12:36 PM

I Tend to bite the inside of my lip when I'm bored, I can bite until it bleeds, one time I bit right the way through my lip and left a hole inside my mouth, I still do it though I can't bloody stop it As for biting my nails I do that when I'm nevous, someone suggested the special nail stuff.

I was made to wear that on my nails when I was a kid to stop me sucking my thumb, I used to just suck that off lol and then suck my thumb and bite my nails.

When you find your self biting your lip or your nails, just go and do something else that involves you using your hands...

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Nixie Offline
Average Joe

Name: Jessica

Re: Picking/biting my lips and nails - March 4th 2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
They also suggest to not lick your lips at all, this makes them go dry which you then end up biting.
I didn't know that licking your lips caused them to go dry... You'd think the reason you do lick your lips is because they are dry? But I shall take that into consideration! Maybe then I won't have to use chapstick all the time and have nice, smooth lips!

I also nibble my lips. I first noticed doing it a few weeks ago. It can be annoying when I bite too much and get a little too much skin, liike some of you guys had said.

Nails--I used to be able to grow them out so long! But I started a habit of picking at them and biting them. It helps relieve stress and nervousness, so I don't see how it is a bad thing.. They are just nails. Plus, it keeps them shorter for when I want to play guitar/violin.

I want to get inside your mind;
I want you to expand mine.
  Send a message via MSN to Nixie  
Closed Thread