TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
unsolved Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? - March 6th 2010, 09:43 PM

Okay. So I'm not sure if this is the right place to talk about this, but it seems better than any of the other topics.

Anyway. I think that I become overly obsessed with certain things. Like things that aren't even real or remotely affect my life. For example, I was watching a certain animated TV series that I have on DVD and one of the main characters died. And I got upset. Like really upset. I started crying. And not just crying where you have a couple tears and get over it. I was sobbing. Thank God I was home alone, because my younger sister would have never let me live it down. I'm nineteen years old, and I'm pretty sure that this is not normal. I mean, it gets to the point where I avoid certain books and movies because I know that there are sad points in the story and I'm afraid that I'm going to lose it. And it stays in my mind for days afterwards. Has anybody else ever had this issue? And if you have, how did you deal with it? Does anybody have any advice on how to deal with this better? Thanks in advance for any responses.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Jen Offline
Dance in the rain
I've been here a while

Name: Jen

Re: Has anyone else ever dealt with this? - March 6th 2010, 10:16 PM

Hi there,

It sounds like you're extremely sensitive. I can relate to that--there are times when something bad will happen to someone on tv, or a character in a book, and I'll just feel it so strongly that it hurts. I've heard it referred to as "feeling others' pain". Like, instead of feeling sad and moving on, you literally feel what they are feeling and it consumes you.

I'd say to stay away from books and tv if it's going to make you feel this way--that's okay to do. And when you are in situations where you're exposed to sad events, allow yourself to feel sad, and even cry, but then literally to yourself, "Time to move on." Or, "It's a movie, it isn't real". Sometimes giving myself a reality check is helpful.

It takes practice--but this isn't weird or abnormal Good luck to you!
<3

"Do not ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

“if nothing changed, there’d be no butterflies”

Send a message via MSN to Jen  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Has anyone else ever dealt with this? - March 7th 2010, 02:11 AM

Aww, you're just a sensitive soul and there's nothing wrong with it.
I have friends who are like that too and they're perfectly normal. I get really angry with TV series and books when they kill of characters I became really attached to and liked. That doesn't make us insane or weird in any way, it's perfectly normal. It just means you're really into the book or the TV show, it intrigues you.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
thisiscourtney Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Courtney

Re: Has anyone else ever dealt with this? - March 7th 2010, 09:08 AM

I thought I was the only one! Hah. I'm exactly like that except with people in bands. I seriously bawled my eyes out when one of my favorite bands broke up and for some reason I torture myself by reading their tweets. Sometimes I'll just cry because it reminds me that they're all living different lives now. But like Jen said, the best thing you can do is remind yourself that you're not associated with that person or character in any way. Whenever you find yourself thinking about it, take a walk or talk to a friend about current events.

Waitin' for my ruca.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
unsolved Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Has anyone else ever dealt with this? - March 7th 2010, 10:51 PM

Thanks so much for your replies! I've always thought I was weird for feeling this way. It makes me feel so much better to know that I'm not the only one who deals with this issue. Thanks for the encouraging words and advice.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
hibye303 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Has anyone else ever dealt with this? - March 17th 2010, 04:12 PM

Yup, I'm like that too. Don't worry you're not alone.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Lightning Offline
Banned
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Anna

Re: Has anyone else ever dealt with this? - March 19th 2010, 08:18 PM

I thought I was the only one as well. It's sort of good to see others who have this issue.

It is sometimes not even books, movies, TV that make me sad/angry for a day or so, it's also real life or internet events. I just give myself a reality check for movies, TVs, books, internet.
  Send a message via AIM to Lightning Send a message via MSN to Lightning  
Closed Thread