TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Maiden Offline
Bring It On
Average Joe

Name: Liadan

Clicking my hands/teeth... compulsion??... driving me insane. - June 8th 2010, 08:23 AM

I don't know when this all started but at least a few years ago I started counting and marking off every thing that we went past while driving. When riding in a car/bus/train/whatever moves/sometimes walking, I do it with my hands. So like I'll tap for every line on the road, and if it was a long one, I have to hold down my hand and bring it off at exactly the right moment. And I do it on both sides at once. If there is no road lines, I count trees or fence posts or sometimes both trees and road lines, on both sides. If I miss one, I have to tap or click in double time to make up for it. It's always been really annoying. I can't really stop it, because I do it without thinking. And if I try to stop, then I'm thinking about it, and it makes me feel like I need to do it more and I get this tension in my fingers and they start twitching and the only way to make it stop is to just keep doing it.

There's a bigger problem now because I drive and I've discovered I can't even stop it when I'm driving and instead of tapping, I'm clicking my teeth or tapping my tongue on each side (because my hands are busy steering). It's so distracting and I've almost had accidents a few times because I've been so preoccupied with tapping and clicking. But trying not to do it makes it worse because then I'm even more distracted.

I don't know what to do. It's so annoying and frustrating and I don't know how to stop it or even why I do it.

Ever mind the Rule of Three: Three times what thou givest returns to thee: This lesson well, thou must learn: Thee only gets what thou dost earn.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Clicking my hands/teeth... compulsion??... driving me insane. - June 10th 2010, 02:14 PM

Hey there.

This sounds along the lines of obsessive compulsive disorder to me, but I'm no psychiatrist =P it could just be a bad habit.

I think the best thing you can do is see a therapist. Their are specific types of therapies that help people work through and control compulsions like this.

You also might just try to distract yourself from counting lines, etc. Turn your radio on and try tapping your fingers to the beat of the music instead. That way your eyes can focus on driving, but you still have that movement in your hands. I don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try.

I hope you find something that helps.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

Closed Thread