TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PsyGwendok Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David

Headbanging against walls and Trichotillomania - October 19th 2010, 10:15 PM

I've started doing so because my cousin sometimes did it, and I have no idea why I did so.
I mean, it started 2 or 3 years ago just as a way of having fun (a stupid way, I know) and it wasn't very frequent.
I'd bang like 5 times a week, and almost without any strenght.
I went trough months without doing so.

Recently, probably do to anger and stress reasons, I've actually find myself doing it pretty hard, and very frequently.
I suffer from tricho, and I shaved my head not to pull any hair, so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with having stopped pulling hair.
It doesn't hurt at all now, but I fear it might affect my brain or skull in any way.

Just to make you guys sure, I know this may sound as a joke, but it's just a stupid addiction
Feel free to give any advice, to make me know if this can make any serious injury, or of another way of quitting this.

Also, feel free to ask for advice on tricho if you need so :b

Thanks ^^

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Emily. Offline
taste the sky
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Emily

Re: Headbanging against walls and Trichotillomania - October 25th 2010, 03:22 AM

Hey David,

I definitely think you should seek help for this. You could really end up hurting yourself and causing long-term damage.

Is there any way you could talk to a therapist about it? They could help you find out why you are doing this and different ways to keep from hurting yourself.

You should also try and find some alternatives that work for you. When you feel like hitting your head, try and do something else instead. Go for a walk, listen to music, call a friend, just something to occupy you until you no longer want to hit your head.

I hope this helps and if you ever want to talk feel free to PM me.
<3 Emily

"Sometimes it's a struggle to be not who you want to be, not who you used to be, not who you're going to be,
but just being right where you are, who you are"

(#3 (permalink)) Old
lovetakesoverr Offline
Average Joe

Name: Haylen

Re: Headbanging against walls and Trichotillomania - October 27th 2010, 01:19 AM

It sounds like just a different way to self-harm. Most self-harm is addicting, and it's hard to stop. I agree with above, that you should talk to a therapist or doctor about it, and they could talk to you and help you realize why you're doing this to yourself.
I also have trich, and it's a difficult thing to go to. If you ever want to talk about it, or if you're look for advice, feel totally free to PM me. I've been dealing with it for four years, and I still can't stop.
I hope you feel better, and consider seeing someone. Take care.

But those sequins on her dress.. boy, they threw you over the edge.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Obsidian Offline
Behind Blue Eyes
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Laura

Re: Headbanging against walls and Trichotillomania - October 31st 2010, 08:37 AM

I've had trich for 9 years, as well as dermatillomania so I sympathise entirely. If you ever wanna talk about it just hit me up. OCD is..horrible. x
  Send a message via MSN to Obsidian Send a message via Skype™ to Obsidian 
Closed Thread