TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

masturbation... - January 7th 2011, 11:04 PM

I think I'm addicted to masturbating. I want to stop but I also don't. It's not exactly interfering with my life - it's only once or twice a day - but it's freaking me out that I don't think I can stop. I know it's meant to be healthy in some ways, but I could really do without the obsession. I have no will power whatsoever. Do you think this is normal or getting out of control?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: masturbation... - January 7th 2011, 11:59 PM

I don't think once or twice a day is unhealthy (and its definitely less than the average for a teenage male :P so lets not be sexist about this). If it's seriously bothering you then you could try stopping for a bit but that could just lead to you doing it anyway and then feeling guilty. If its not affecting your every day life and you're not choosing to do it over other things then don't feel bad. It's natural and as addictive behaviours go, not at all harmful at the level you're doing it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
WillO'Wisp Offline
I've been here a while

Re: masturbation... - January 8th 2011, 07:03 PM

I think once a day isn't alot, but more than once a day may be a bit too much. It's hormones, you're going to get horny and want to do it often. But I think you should try to limit yourself to maybe 2 or 3 times a week if you can, try occupying yourself with something like reading or writing or gaming, whatever keeps you busy and makes you not think about it, doesn't arouse you in any way. Think about something that grosses you out to turn you off to the point you just don't want to do it anymore. Remember, it's something meant to be enjoyable, but only once in a while.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: masturbation... - January 8th 2011, 07:21 PM

Once or twice a day isn't something I'd say is unhealthy. Most guys do it at least once a day...at least all the ones I've spoken to about it do.

How long has this been going on for though? Since I go through periods of several weeks where I do it several times a day but then after don't do it again for a couple of weeks.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Make Believe Offline
makes everything 20% cooler.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kayleigh

Re: masturbation... - January 8th 2011, 08:13 PM

I wouldn't say it was unhealthy either, I went through a phase where I done it about twice a day (that was thanks to the summer holidays where I wasn't doing much in the day )

Unless you stop going to work/college/school to stay home to masturbate I'd say everything is fine

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
  Send a message via MSN to Make Believe  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Re: masturbation... - January 9th 2011, 04:32 PM

Addiction tends to infer both a need for the activity in order to function normally and detrimental effects on normal life when it is not carried out, together with a lack of control over the impulse and limited ability to prevent it. Based on those criteria and what you have described, I'd be reluctant to describe this as an addiction and more like a habit which has perhaps gotten out of hand. Were it an addiction, the need for it would be interfering with your life more than it seems to be the case. All of the above does vary from person to person obviously, but based on that general rule of thumb it doesn't strike me as an addiction. Also bear in mind that increased levels of stress such as from school etc. will make the brain seek out actions which will release chemicals to mitigate the effects, and sexual activity (including masturbation) is one such action. If you're experiencing higher than normal levels of stress that may explain why it's become more pronounced.

If it is something which you feel you are not in control of and wish to curtail, however, the suggestions JenJen made are a good place to start. Distraction tends to be the best remedy when hormones and impulses are at play, and as Cara says it may well be something that will pass in time. If not, and it becomes more obstructive than it has been, it may well be worth talking to someone to find out other techniques you can use to control the impulses. As things currently stand, however, I would not say that is a level to be worried about - people vary in this area as much as any other and it's more a question of what you're comfortable with.

Hope some of that helps and take care.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick

(#7 (permalink)) Old
luvflamingos Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mary

Re: masturbation... - January 9th 2011, 09:28 PM

I hope its normal. I don't always get to everyday, but I want to. When I do, sometimes its more than once in a day. I have a love/hate feeling about it- about it feeling good and wanting to do it and feeling guilty or whether I am to obsessed with doing it. Sorry it is freaking you out. I think doing it is okay though.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
lostandalone Offline
Forgotten loser
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Erika

Re: masturbation... - January 10th 2011, 10:17 AM

yes it is normal and nothing to feel bad about. I have similair urges and feelings. Sometinmes twice a da, sometimes not for a while.

Dont feel guilty its normal.

"Think of your life as a book, move forward, close one chapter and open another." Unknown

We give each other strength to make it through the darkness." Silverstein

‎"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." John W. Gardner

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

Every human life is worth the same, and worth saving." J.K. Rowling

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Kumagoro Offline
Formerly ChaosControl
I've been here a while

Re: masturbation... - January 10th 2011, 03:44 PM

Thanks everyone.

I suppose it's not an addiction as such because it doesn't interfere with everyday life, but it is something I really struggle to avoid when I know it's OK to do it, e.g. before bed.

If it is due to stress, is it worth finding a new de-stressor? I am scared I'm starting to get too dependent on it, even though it's only once a day, it's every day.

I'll look for a distraction and see if it helps thank you.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lizzie

Re: masturbation... - January 12th 2011, 05:28 AM

I don't think this is anything out of the ordinary. Many people struggle with this everyday. I know I am. I also have no will power to stop, at all. I want to, but my will to do it is stronger than to stop. I don't know why.
I'll pray for you, and if you need any help just PM me.
I'll try to help as much as I can.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Jazzman Jeff Offline
The mind is a powerful tool
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jeff

Re: masturbation... - January 15th 2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgrenadeheart View Post
If it is due to stress, is it worth finding a new de-stressor? I am scared I'm starting to get too dependent on it, even though it's only once a day, it's every day.
I'd argue that it is an excellent de-stressor. I'm an advocate for masturbation, and while some people are addicted to it, using it as a stress release is very healthy. There are much worse de-stressors you could have, plus yes it's actually proven to be good for you physically. Assuming you don't do it so much you hurt yourself or as others have said, interfere with your life at inappropriate times, then there is nothing wrong with what you're doing. It feels good does it not? It's one of those things that you can say "if it feels good, do it"
If you think you are masturbating too much or more due to stress, you don't need to stop it but you could view it as a sign to explore what you're stressed about. Take some time to look at what might be stressed out about and when you have time to talk to someone, do so.

Jeff

a Student of Life and Mentor of Friends

"In the book of Life, the answers aren't in the back"

"Everything is Possible"

(#12 (permalink)) Old
southern bell Offline
livy lynne
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Olivia Lynne

Re: masturbation... - January 25th 2011, 09:17 PM

i usually masterbate at least 5 or 6 times a day, usually having 10 or 15 orgasms... using it to relieve inhibitions is great, but it can become a problem... just try and keep it under control

(#13 (permalink)) Old
confused dude Offline
confused dude
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: confused

Re: masturbation... - January 27th 2011, 09:34 PM

im a teenage boy and i masturbate alot of times a day 5 or 6 times its just normal i think i wouldn't be worried about how to stop i cant help there sorry

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Hale_Bopp Offline
Banned
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: masturbation... - January 28th 2011, 03:25 AM

im a guy btw. umm i have done it 6 times a day before. its almost a nervous habit with me when doing homework, its not that im always horny, its that id rather be doing ANYTHING than homework. contrarily: i dont really ever masturbate on weekends. but i do it multiple times a day on the weekday.

1 or 2 times a day isnt obsession. its only a problem when u cant function : like if ur sitting in class and u cant stop going to the bathroom and masturbating every class period to the point where your grades sufffer: that is a problem. dont worry about it, nobody really becomes addicted to masturbation in the true sense of the word. ive yet to hear of anyone in tv or real life going to an addiction center or losing their lives due to masturbation...

Closed Thread