TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Addictive Behaviours (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f124-addictive-behaviours/)
-   -   Reading (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f124-addictive-behaviours/t67373-reading/)

batsmad February 18th 2011 12:21 PM

Reading

School is really hard for me at the moment because I'm really addicted to reading. I just can't stop. In the evenings when I'm supposed to be doing my homework I can't stop myself reading. I even read in lessons, basically anywhere I can. Just wondering if there's anything I can do about it because I'm doing my GCSEs and I don't want my grades to suffer.

Pug Princess February 19th 2011 05:00 PM

Re: Reading

Well my best advice is to give your books to your parents and have them hide them from you. If that seems too drastic, then maybe try and slowly read less and less. Tell your parents to come get your book at a certain time and don't bring them to school.
Good luck!

Ryan1 February 21st 2011 12:14 AM

This is a really positive issue to have. Reading is a wonderful thing it opens the door to your creative imagination. You need to learn to plan your time accordingly make a schedule if necessary. Say you have X amount of time to do homework at night and however much time to read. Build up a base of self-control so that you are able to enjoy the world of reading but you get your homework done as well.

Id certainly priorities your homework first, reading second. This is something you should be able to manage without having someone assists you. Not only will you teach yourself self-control but time management as well.

I enjoy reading like you do, just curious if you did not read in class would that cut down your homework load? Thus allowing you more peaceful reading time at home Vs the class room environment, just some food for thought.

I hope youre able to work something out that will give you the best of both worlds. :)

-Ryan

snakewhisperer28 February 21st 2011 05:34 AM

well i know its not exactly the same..but just view your hw as "reading" too. Only it is mandatory reading, you read that first, then read for fun? idk i think it would help me

alexandrish February 23rd 2011 02:50 PM

since you love reading.. why not do this....

you read after you finished your work...(like you give your self prizes after completing something)...
it actually work for me... but it take lots of willpower and time to adapt..

hope this can help you

batsmad March 5th 2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melody (Post 587051)
Well my best advice is to give your books to your parents and have them hide them from you.

Thanks all of you I appreciate the advice. Giving my books to my parents isn't really an option as my 2 floor to ceiling bookcases are overflowing and I have loads of books in other rooms too. I've talked to my best friend about it and he's helping me now.

Redhead_Angel March 5th 2011 06:27 PM

i also have this promblem books are just so intreasting instead of reading those other books try reading your school books maybe it may not be inreasting but it might work or try to push ur self from reading or just go to a different room to isolate your self from your books goodluck
love coco