TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Freakshow Offline
Average Joe

So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 23rd 2011, 06:41 AM

Most other teenage girls pride themselves on their nails. Everyone else takes such good care of their nails -- I haven't yet met another girl my age whose nails do not look pristine. For some reason, I'm the opposite. I tend to bite or pick at my nails a lot when I'm bored, which leads to my nails looking really bad. Sometimes, they look so bad that they could even look diseased. I'm ashamed of showing them to others because then others will always ask, "What happened to your nails?" This is especially bad on the thumbs. There isn't really too much of an issue with the other fingers, but my thumbs are usually always the ones that cause concern. What can I do to stop this habit? Bad nails are not feminine at all...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 23rd 2011, 06:51 AM

Oh, that is a really common habit. Nail biting is really disgusting, but we can't help ourselves sometimes. I do the same. So I can totally relate to what you are going through. Since you are a female, have you tried putting nail polish on your nails to cover them up. If you are ashamed of others looking at your nails, you can try that. It can also help you stop biting your nails as well.

If not, dash your fingers with salt. You will not like the taste, and you will probably stop biting your nails. Other than that, it is all about self control. If you can control yourself not to bite your nails, you will do fine.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 24th 2011, 04:31 AM

I can't control it at all. Hahaha! I've tried nail polish, salt, soap, everything. Sort of given up at this point. Better than a lot of things, I suppose. I also chew pencils and pens.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
facade Offline
I've been here a while

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 24th 2011, 05:33 AM

I had this problem. But I wanted long/nice nails, so I used that as motivation. Also, I painted my nails. My nails now are rarely ever not painted because of it. If your not really into nail polish, you can try just clear nail polish. It doesn't have to be a color.

I hope things go well <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
HisPrincess Offline
Associate Live Help Operator
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Angelica

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 24th 2011, 06:06 PM

I have a bad habit of biting and chewing on my nails as well. It is kind of a gross habit, but I find I do it when I'm nervous about something. So that kinda means.... all the time. Something that I have found that has helped me, if nail polish. White or colored, when I bite down on the nail polish, it tastes bad and causes me to realize I am biting my nails and stop. So you might try that. Others have put hot sauce on their nails so when they bite their nails, they get a really hot mouth. I think you should try a few different things and see what works well for you. Good Luck!

Angelica

Formerly jelli1224

Trusting is not a mistake, but it is important to realize that things change. ~ Kmn483<3Bliz

Please feel free to PM me. I love to help others, and can be an ear to talk to, a shoulder to cry on, or a face to scream at. <3

Help LINK Mentor - March 19th 2011 to April 16th 2011

Live Help Operator - February 18th 2012 to June 4th, 2012

Associate Live Help Operator - August 13th 2012 <3

(#6 (permalink)) Old
you'rebeautiful Offline
believe it :)
Average Joe

Name: Ada

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 25th 2011, 01:33 AM

It's generally a long process, quitting any addictive behavior... and it always requires commitment. There are a few ways that people go about hicking this habit. Among them are committed & persistent HRT (habit reversal training) and hipnosis, which of course targets the mind. Others are special nail-biting polish (it's very bitter and is, you guessed it, designed to help discourage nail-biting), or bitter-tasting hand cream, methods that target your physical senses. And then there's always practical approaches like keeping your nails short (not much to bite, then, keeping them painted or getting professional manicures (that way you'll always be conscious that you have painted nails in your mouth, and that you paid money for yourself to get something done to your nails. You can also seek support from family or friends~ ask them to gently point out to you when they notice you biting.
It does take work, forsure, but I have no doubt you'll work through this just wonderfully.
Best of luck ,
Ada

I believe thatyou're inherently beautiful : )

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Troubled_Heart Offline
Used to be Ianto Jones
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Melissa
Location: The room where it's red and black and evil people walk around pointing and laughing at you

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 26th 2011, 01:48 PM

I got over it with nail polish... I only put things in my body which I know all about and which I'm not terrified of poisoning me so that worked... I always have to have my nails painted though and when I don't I chew... I also always have gum in my mouth to give me something to chew and it's good for teeth... I'm not allowed either at school but I just wear a similar coloured varnish to my actual nails... Maybe take something like a pen to chew on to not chew your nails or just think of how you want your nails to look to help stop yourself. Good Luck and PM me if you want to talk... Go in Peace <3!

When life gives you one thousand reasons to cry, show life one million reasons to SMILE!

Send a message via MSN to Troubled_Heart Send a message via Yahoo to Troubled_Heart  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
Skittles Minion
I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 26th 2011, 03:19 PM

My boyfriend has that same habit. He keeps his nails cut short, so there's not really much to bite. It's a lot more simple than doing nail polish, salt, etc, but it works. It might seem like a really gross habit, but you'd be amazed at how many people do it. I do it too, but it's more every once in a while for me...

(#9 (permalink)) Old
evans_x Offline
Just a whisper in the wind ..
Not a n00b

Name: Kayla

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 28th 2011, 02:46 PM

Don't they have some sort of product available in shops that you put on your nails that taste really disgusting, you like, apply it to your nails until you no longer bite them? :$
  Send a message via Yahoo to evans_x Send a message via Skype™ to evans_x 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Lovehatelife23 Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Leslie

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 28th 2011, 05:25 PM

believe me it very common to do tat. I have been biting my nail for a very long time. Ive been also been biting at my skin too on my fingers. So its ok n its addictive. So no worries. Its all naturl...

R.I.P
CJ Collins 1993-2008
He was a Awesome Kid
I Love you n Miss you

You learn at a certain pace. Then that pace goes away. Then

you try and try to do everything you can. Then it gets harder.

Then you give up. Then its all over.

Leslie
  Send a message via Skype™ to Lovehatelife23 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
01love Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lena

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 28th 2011, 07:59 PM

Oh my, I used to have this habit too until I grew out of it when I was in high school. I bit my nail too short once and it affected my ability to play the piano - baaad since I was a serious performer.

I used clear nail polish - forgot I had it on and bite my finger nails anyways, SO GROSS. After, I started using bright coloured nail polishes like yellow, pastel blue, pastel pink - I could actually see it and remember to not bite my nails & bright colours are pretty cute on short nails (: At home, when I felt like I had to bite something, I chewed on a straw lol After awhile, my habit was gone!

Good luck!!!!

(#12 (permalink)) Old
chrissy2009 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Chrissy

Re: So I have this REALLY bad habit of biting/picking at my nails... - March 29th 2011, 02:48 AM

There are many things to use. Keep busy so you aren't bored.
Honestly i am the same exact way! I still haven't stopped biting or picking my nails. Its only been a day since i haven't. im trying to let them grow. But its tough. Try nail polish, or something that doesn't taste good and put them on your nails so once you taste it you won't want to chew them anymore. But i can't promise you it's going to be easy cause i'm going through it too. been doing since i was 15 and im still doing it an im 23 now! but good luck i wish you the best of luck for the both of us!

Closed Thread