TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Pulling out Eyelashes - June 2nd 2011, 01:51 AM

When I get bored I have a tendency to pull my eye lashes out, or even when I stress out. I stopped for awhile after my boyfriend requested that I do, but started again when my stepfather got back into his ways. I usually cover it up pretty well with eyeliner and mascara, but I hate caking makeup on, but then again it isnt that noticeable, but one time I completely pulled all of them out...

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
bpaley Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Pulling out Eyelashes - June 3rd 2011, 08:20 PM

The best way to end an addiction is to replace it with another activity. Try this, whenever you get stressed squeeze a stress ball, or go out for a walk. When you are bored, try to go outside and do something active.
GOOD LUCK

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sleeping Beauty Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Reba

Re: Pulling out Eyelashes - June 3rd 2011, 11:14 PM

hmm try replacing it with something else. looks like you like pulling stuff maybe try this: you know post-it's? get a pack of those and when you get stressed or feel like pullling your eyelashes start pulling skicky's off that stack and put it down and pull another and put it over it, youll make another stack -but even better, because you can use the new stack next time!
I hope you atleast try it next time, & if you do let me know how it turns out!
i love pulling sticky's x) lol
Goodluck Bethany! And your names so pretty <3

(#4 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pulling out Eyelashes - June 4th 2011, 12:35 AM

Thank you and I love the sticky note idea sounds funnnn

You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

(#5 (permalink)) Old
CrimeStopper Offline
Emily
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Be content within

Re: Pulling out Eyelashes - June 5th 2011, 07:49 PM

I knew someone who pulled out there hair on there head and arms. Any hair they could get at. It's called Trichotillomania. I don't know really anything about this disorder so I'm not really going to say anything, but I felt the need to post because I do know it's a disorder with a real name to it. But maybe a doctor could help. But yes as said above you are going to TRY your hardest to replace pulling with something else. Bite on a pen, write, walk. Anything that will distract you. But the best bet would be to try and contact a doctor and see if Trichotillomania is what it is or if it's something else. Maybe there is a treatment for it. Best of luck!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichotillomania

Last edited by CrimeStopper; June 5th 2011 at 07:56 PM.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
PsyGwendok Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: David

Re: Pulling out Eyelashes - June 5th 2011, 09:00 PM

Is it only eye lashes?
I've suffered from tricho for a couple years now, and sorry, but I think that you may have traces of the same disorder. Usually, I just play with something, like an elastic, or a string,anything to keep my hand busy. A anti-stress ball works aswell. And try avoiding pulling other types of hair.
In case it gets worse, you should consult a doctor.

A slight tip, using gloves, or some duct tape on the tips of the fingers helps A LOT, though I usually only use it at home.
Good luck, and cheers.

I have trichotillomania and slight traces of OCD. I think of myself as friendly, and I'll gladly answer any PM's .

Be bold, and mighty forces
will come to your aid.

- Basil King

STAY STRONG

(#7 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Pulling out Eyelashes - June 6th 2011, 09:11 PM

It's just my eyelashes and I stopped for a while, but then started again, but wow I might have a disorder, thanks you guys I will make a doctors appointment

Closed Thread