TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Socaoa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shadow

Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 12th 2011, 03:52 PM

HI so I have a real problem with chewing the inside of my mouth. I do it constantly. I'm doing it right now ahah. I do it without even thinking, sometimes. And I make such weird faces when I do... people look at me odd! And well, once I chewed on my lip so much that it got so swollen it looked like someone had beaten me in the face ahaha. I'd really like to be able to stop, but I do it without even thinking about it! Anyone else have problems with this/ideas on how to stop?
  Send a message via MSN to Socaoa  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
BethanyAnn Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Bethany

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 12th 2011, 05:01 PM

I use to do the same thing... And it can hurt really bad because you don't realize the extent of what you are doing it comes a point to where you don't even know when you are doing it... What I fine helps is keeping gum in your mouth, or something to chew on, or put toothpaste in your mouth and I say that because when you bite your mouth, one its either gonna burn or two blood and toothpaste just don't mix, and then your body should get the message within time that ick thats gross lets not do it... It is a compulsive behavior and it is hard to stop because you don't realize you are doing it. But ALWAYS keep something in your mouth to chew on.... It helps

"Have no fear for giving in, Have no fear for giving over
You'd better know that in the end, Its better to say too much, Than never to say what you need to say again" - John Mayer

Send a message via Yahoo to BethanyAnn Send a message via Skype™ to BethanyAnn 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Socaoa Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shadow

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 12th 2011, 05:04 PM

Ahh see that's how I started, I used to chew on my sleeves all the time, but my mother made me stop because, well, I was destroying my clothes. Aaand so with nothing to chew on, I started on my mouth. I would prefer my sleeves to my physical self at this stage though. And the gum is a good idea. @_@
  Send a message via MSN to Socaoa  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
I've been here a while

Name: Jessy

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 12th 2011, 05:52 PM

I used to chew my finger keeping chewing gum with all the time would probably be best, or maybe a piece of fabric to chew?

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 13th 2011, 02:05 AM

I chew the inside of my cheek, but it's mostly when I'm upset/angry/nervous, depending on the situation. I bit the inside of my mouth so bad one time, it was swollen, and my boyfriend wanted me to see a doctor.

But, to solve that, I always have a pack of gum on me. If I feel I might start chewing my mouth, or that I have, I will chew a stick of gum instead. It helps, and it tastes good!

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 14th 2011, 08:20 PM

Hey there,
I do the exact same thing, and sometimes, I do it without even realizing it. I get yelled at for it all the time by my mom, even though she's the one who used to do it, so I wonder where I got it from?

When it gets so bad that it hurts, what I do is take a glass of warm water (tap or otherwise) and put salt in it. It helps it heal faster. To stop doing it all together, someone mentioned the gum idea. This is great. It actually helped me once, but I usually don't carry gum on me anymore (people like to ask the second it comes out of my pocket!).

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Froginator1469 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Stella

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 24th 2011, 12:36 AM

Hahahaha, I do the same thing!! I make weird faces too when I chew the inside of my mouth, and then people ask me "why are you making weird faces?". It's really annoying though.

I find that chewing gum helps me take my mind off of chewing the inside of my mouth. But not much else works for me... :\

But I do find that I only chew when I'm bored or not doing something interactive. So maybe finding something to do will help and such.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Anomaly Offline
Penguins love you
I can't get enough

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 24th 2011, 03:56 AM

I do the same thing all the time. When I was younger and wasn't allowed to have gum in class the teacher always got onto me because she thought I was chewing gum. I was just chewing on my cheek.
I would try to have something in your mouth a lot. I usually have gum or a mint or something in my mouth anyways. That might help you a bit.
Also like Shannon said when your mouth gets a sore or really tender or something. Try the salt water thing. It's nasty as all get out but it helps.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 25th 2011, 03:16 AM

I used to do something similar although it was chewing my cheek as well as my tongue and lips. Unfortunately, my tongue has a good amount of deep gashes in it and the left side feels as though it has a different grade than the right side. Chewing gum is a pretty good way to prevent accidentally biting the inside of your mouth. I still chew gum when I'm studying because that was when I would chew my mouth unintentionally.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Like a fairy ;)
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison

Re: Chewing The Inside Of My Mouth - June 25th 2011, 10:25 AM

I know what you mean, I used to chew everything.
From clothes to fingers to mouth...
Like everyone else has said, gum is a really good idea, although sometimes I'm chewing gum and I bite my mouth accidentally anyway. u_u
Keep thinking about it as well. If it happens when you don't think about it, then every time to catch yourself doing it, stop it and then concentrate for a bit on not doing it. It might train you to stop completely.

Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread