TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Legion Offline
We are many.
Not a n00b

Name: Legion

Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 6th 2011, 12:22 AM

I'm unsure if this goes into substance abuse or not. I didn't think it related more to the substance itself, but to my need to hoard them. If I am incorrect, I apologize. Cut the new guy some slack, yeah? hehe Feel free to move it to the appropriate location.

Anyway, onward! You see, I have a habit, stated above. I feel this compulsion to hoard medications. Not such things as Advil or other things I could get everyday over the counter. I mean prescription meds. I hardly ever use, so I don't consider myself an addict. Usually the meds sit there in this one drawer I have and never see daylight again.

I mean, there have been a few times where I used. After a really bad day, I needed to forget, so yeah I took a bit of oxycodone. Or some Vicodine to stave off a headache. I have nausea meds too, a bit of morphine, some assorted antibiotics, and a few other kinds of prescription drugs in pretty numerous amounts.

I also never deal. A few friends know I collect and have tried a lot to get me to sell it to them. I never would though. I'm not that low..even if they offered $80 per hit.

I fear where it would lead if they were found by campus police. I keep em in a medicine drawer beneath my bed, among my other legal meds and over the counter stuff. During a fire drill or such, they do room searches. If they found that, I may be branded a user or a dealer, and I don't have a good record with the campus police. (I'm not a criminal I swear. It was a misunderstanding.) Still, it doesn't help to have when they find a ton of prescription meds in your possession.

I just can't bring myself to toss them cold turkey. I don't even know why I feel a need to hold onto them. It's silly. Regardless, any assistance?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 6th 2011, 02:55 PM

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/tv/hoarding-buried-alive

One of two things will happen with the above link. It will scare you, and you will throw away alot of junk that you don't need.

Or you will identify strongly with the people featured, in which case getting help now is a must.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker

I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 6th 2011, 10:29 PM

The link that the above poster mentioned should be taken with a grain of salt. You know that this is wrong, you have to take control of yourself and throw them away. Think of the consequences. You are not alone. There are many people who have issues with storing and hoarding things, they are afraid to detach themselves from the said objects. I really hope that you are able to resolve this through whichever method you plan on using, whether it be self control, and realizing the severeness of the situation, or you find a way to deal with these issues by counseling. Don't tell yourself that you can't, I have faith that you can overcome this.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Whisperer Offline
Find yourself and be that
I've been here a while

Name: Alessa

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 7th 2011, 03:00 AM

Hey there,
Since you don't actually use them except in really bad times, it seems as if you may use them as a comfort to yourself. Sometimes just knowing something is there even though you know you're probably not going to use it helps a lot. For example, (triggering SH maybe) I keep a jackknife hidden in my room incase I ever need it. But I've been SH free almost a year and a half now. Have you talked to anyone about this? It's important to reach out because although we can try and help you, we aren't professionals. My advice; find something else you can use as a comfort. Teach your body to use writing, drawing, music, something as a coping tool so you won't have to lean on hoarding the medications. I wish you luck and feel free to let me know if you ever need anything.
Alessa

Whatever it is, chances are I've been there.
If I can make it out, you can too.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Legion Offline
We are many.
Not a n00b

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 7th 2011, 09:39 PM

Whisperer, you were very spot on. The feeling is more of a safety net. I hope to never need it. I don't plan to need it. But it is fantastic to know it is readily available should I require its services.

I have seen hoarders before. Good show. I am not at all that bad though. I don't think I could get buried under bottles of pills easily. We are talking maybe 7 bottles here, in a small drawer.

I will not seek professional help on this. I won't say here why, but I refuse. (I'm not against explaining, but I don't want it to seem as if I am encouraging others not to seek help.) Point is, professionals and I will never be a mix ever again for the rest of my life unless it is for my physical health or they arrest me..again. Sorry for the outburst, but I must make that highly clear.

Still, I appreciate the help so far.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 7th 2011, 11:59 PM

No, I understand hoarders is dramatic and made for TV. However hoarding can take place on many different scales.

The show will either show you how irrational it is to keep useless stuff, or you would strongly identify with the hoarders, also implying a problem

Hoarding does not need to be large scale, and it could be a possible disorder.

I would simply throw them out and think "If something happens, I can buy more meds, as I need them." just keep thinking about that. I cleaned out my room yesterday, threw away a bunch of stuff. I wanted to keep some of it, but it was junk, and I figured "If I ever need another notepad, I can buy one" when I threw away an old crinkled notebook. If you need you need medication, it's like the notebook. Just get more as you need them. Keep reminding yourself that. Or if you can't find it in yourself to throw them away, put them in a shoe box and then a plastic bag and bury them on campus. Then you get the piece of mind that they are still there, but you won't need them in your life.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Legion Offline
We are many.
Not a n00b

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 8th 2011, 12:52 AM

Perhaps. I think that could work, a good suggestion to be sure.

Slowly, the people collected, amassing a vast number of bodies before him. And yet still, he waited until there was no point to waiting further. Now was the moment he stalled for not days, not months, but years. Raising his hand to into the air, he summoned fourth a unison cry.

"And let them fear who we have become. Let them wish they were among us. Let them run or submit. And let them know we can not be stopped. For we have become Legion. And we will never die."

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Terry Offline
Canadian Bacon
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Terry

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 10th 2011, 10:05 PM

I do the same with old anxiety/anti depressants I have. I have never taken any (after i eased off them) but feel the need to keep whatever I haven't used. >__>

Self pity will not rescue you.
Sometimes we have to save our own lives,
not because no one else cares, but because no one else can.

Life for you has been less than kind
So take a number, stand in line
We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
But how we survive is what makes us who we are.

Dreamed up the maps, give me the charcoal and the paper
We invent paths they cannot see, and they're too scared to walk

Only after disaster can we be resurrected. It's only after you've lost everything that you are free to do anything.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Legion Offline
We are many.
Not a n00b

Re: Addicted to hoarding (but not abusing) meds. - July 12th 2011, 07:36 PM

It's like a safety net, as was stated above. To know they are present if the need should arise. I feel if I remove them from my possession, I will need them not a day later and be out of luck.

Slowly, the people collected, amassing a vast number of bodies before him. And yet still, he waited until there was no point to waiting further. Now was the moment he stalled for not days, not months, but years. Raising his hand to into the air, he summoned fourth a unison cry.

"And let them fear who we have become. Let them wish they were among us. Let them run or submit. And let them know we can not be stopped. For we have become Legion. And we will never die."

Closed Thread