TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Luvmydoglots Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Unhappy I am a thumb sucker - July 25th 2011, 09:24 AM

I'm 17 yrs old and I've been sucking my thumb since I was 10. I started sucking my thumb in the hospital after I had major surgery on my legs. There were a lot of complications and I needed something to cope. I never stopped after that. Ive had surgeries the last 4 yrs in a row and I had 2 surgeries last year and each time I have surgery all the progress I made on not sucking my thumb is a waste because I suck aaall the time except not in front of my parents. I keep getting teased for sucking my thumb they call me a baby but I'm too shy to say anything back. I'm not a baby I'm a big girl I'm just too scared to act like one. Maybe if I stop sucking my thumb I can be more like a big girl. I need to stop being so scared so I can stop sucking my thumb. I need some help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
you are perfect to me ❤
Average Joe

Name: Celine
Location: My own little world where the only thing that can hurt me is myself

Re: I am a thumb sucker - July 25th 2011, 09:52 AM

Hey there

I'm a thumb-sucker too so I can understand how you use it to cope. If you're having anymore surgery, maybe you could try to do something else instead of sucking your thumb. Maybe you could try knitting, sewing, reading or writing. There are so many other things that you could do that could help you cope.

I think it's great that you're trying to stop and I really admire you for that . I know it can be extremely hard at times but you've just gotta keep pushing yourself. I know you can do this and I have total faith in you . If you can stop and then suddenly get an urge and you give in to that urge, that's ok. Everyone makes mistakes. You shouldn't beat yourself up about it. Just pick yourself back up and try again.

I'm always being teased too for sucking my thumb but I really couldn't care what they say. If it helps me cope then I don't care (even though it is an addictive thing to do ) You've just got to show everyone around you that you are a big girl. I know you are and you know you are. I know you can do it.

I hope I've helped, even a little bit
I'll always be here if you ever need someone to talk to
Lots of love,
Celine

and in that moment, I swear we were infinite

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: I am a thumb sucker - July 30th 2011, 09:08 PM

Hey there,

I'm a thumb sucker too, I've been doing the same for a very long time; since I was a toddler. Maybe you could do something other than sucking your thumb. You could maybe take up something creative; possibly something which uses your hands (particularly your thumbs) to help reduce the amount of times you suck it. I find that using my fingers/hands helps reduce the urges to stick my thumb in my mouth, and this could help you too.

As Celine has said, keep pushing yourself to that goal; you'll be able to make it in the end. Giving into the urges is a part of the process of stopping, so don't worry if you 'slip up', everybody does it.

Good luck, I wish you all the best!
You can do it!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Thurineth Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Laura

Re: I am a thumb sucker - July 30th 2011, 10:34 PM

I sucked my thumb from being a toddler until I was 17 so I feel your pain. By the latter age, I was wanting to go on weekends away for Band Residential so i decided that I was going to stop, and it wasn't easy!!

You know the stuff that you get for biting your nails that tastes awful? I put that, not only on my two thumbs but on all of my fingers (as in the night i'd find a substitute), after about a month, it wasn't a problem. It became more of a choice. If I sucked my thumb before bed, I was back to square one. I'm 21 now and haven't done since

Good luck!
  Send a message via Skype™ to Thurineth 
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DinestyX Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Destiny

Re: I am a thumb sucker - August 1st 2011, 09:52 PM

Hi there!

I was a thumb sucker from when I was a baby to about a couple years ago. When teasing got really bad in school my parents started to try a few things to get me to stop. I'm not sure if they'll help, but it's worth a try right?

1. My parents would buy me those little stress balls, and other little things that I could use to keep my hands busy.

2. They gave me gum, suckers, and other types of candies that I would be able to chew/suck on for a while when I was stressed.

3. They always told me when they saw me sucking my thumb, and told me to do one of the other things.

It took a while, but it finally worked. I hope this helps.

-Bye.

Closed Thread