TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Kyle M Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kyle

Question I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - August 8th 2011, 08:59 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only that has this problem, I don't know really why but when people are talking I feel the need to join them- like a family member or what not. Then I criticize myself because I think I'm rude. Its mostly my mom I do this with and shes told me its okay she knows I'm bi-polar and says it must have something to do with that.

But that's not the only thing, I think it comes from being nervous- I'm constantly nervous around people or by myself so I talk as a way to relieve the feelings.

I feel I never give myself a break or a chance- I instantly think people won't like me- so I stay shut inside or alone and it makes it worse. Yeah I have some friends but they come and go- I really wonder where my life is going and why I feel so nervous.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle M Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle M 
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
gymnastxxLeah Offline
tumble <3
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Leah

Re: I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - August 8th 2011, 09:23 PM

hmm... well do you do this in mania? cause thats a symptom. don't worry about it. it's part of being bipolar. if its really irritating maybe ask about medication for the disorder. i dont really know i'm not bipolar...

I wanna fly. So I do gymnastics instead.

I'll just keep holding on to what i believe and oh I believe in you. Give me the strength for the fight and the heart to believe cause I've got to believe in you. I feel so alive.

PeacewithImperfection

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - August 9th 2011, 07:29 AM

I don't understand why this is in the Addictive Behaviours forum because the OP seems to have already given the rationale for this behaviour: nervousness. As I said to Leah.sings24, it is not a symptom of bipolar since it is in direct response to a particular event. Manic episodes last for at least 7 days and hypomanic episodes last for at least 4 days.

Were you diagnosed by a professional with bipolar disorder? Is your mother a registered clinical psychologist or psychiatrist? If the answer is no to both of these questions, then ignore what she is saying when she claims you have bipolar disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah.sings24 View Post
hmm... well do you do this in mania? cause thats a symptom. don't worry about it. it's part of being bipolar. if its really irritating maybe ask about medication for the disorder. i dont really know i'm not bipolar...
Bipolar symptoms do not occur in direct response to a particular event. Mania does not last for a few minutes or hours. Look up what bipolar actually is in the DSM-IV-TR and ICD-10. If you want to be thorough, look up the DSM-V draft (actual DSM-V meant to be released some time in 2013).

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Dark Horse Offline
Used to be ellabella:)
Average Joe

Name: Arabella

Re: I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - August 9th 2011, 11:21 AM

I have the same problem, but I know that I do it because of nervousness not because of Bipolar. But I have too read that excessive/increased amount of talking is a symtom of manic episodes....

"Manic episodes are generally accompanied by or include bursts of energy (not needing sleep), significantly more physical activity, or ability when compared to normal functioning, and restlessness. In addition to increased or excessive talking, some of the talking may be incoherent. People may appear to be talking to themselves, when actually they are presuming that everyone is listening to them."

(http://www.lifeloveandbipolar.com/si..._disorder.html)

But since you've been diagnosed, you probably know all that already....
Anyway, I personally don't see this as a big problem. But as Leah said, if it gets too irritating you can always get medication for it (like Serax, Prozac, Xanax?)

Good luck

Tears Falling Down To Lips Unkissed
Ignore Her And She Won't Exist
She's Not The Kind You'll Come To Miss

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Kyle M Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kyle

Re: I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - August 17th 2011, 06:34 PM

To Man And XX Master I have been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder a few years ago. And thank you ellabella the facts you showed me make feel a little less like alone. Other people go through this as well. I'll try to rationally deal with my nervousness.

Your sentence, to quote you; People may appear to be talking to themselves, when actually they are presuming that everyone is listening to them." Really spoke to me- I feel that way a lot.
  Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle M Send a message via Skype™ to Kyle M 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - August 23rd 2011, 05:36 AM

If you're worried about the possibility of bi-polar disorder, I would go see your doctor or a psychiatric professional. Self diagnosis isn't the best idea, the best thing to do is bring it up with a professional. Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
5a5 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - August 23rd 2011, 12:56 PM

hey so ure nervous around people so what? give urself a little break, dont assume people dont like u, assume they do ure likable just like everyone else

(#8 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: I have this aqward problem where I feel I need to talk constantly - September 4th 2011, 06:26 AM

My sister has the exact same problem. The only thing that I can really advise you do is stop before you speak, alright? Just give yourself some time to think about what you say, and make a concentrated effort to listen to others.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

Closed Thread