TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Vicky

This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 05:40 AM

I have the urge to say it like on the show my strange addiction because it is quite unusual

I'm Vicky, I'm nearly 18, and I'm addicted to pacifiers

Yep you read that right. I don't know what I would do without my binky. I've had panic attacks severely from age 6 and it's always been there for me when I was having one. I have a gallon size baggie of them in my drawer.
I can't calm myself from a panic attack without it, and sometimes without it panic attacks will last for days on end.

I know I'm too big for this thing, but all attempts to wean myself off of it have been unsuccessful, one stays under my pillow so I can wear it as a ring when I sleep.

I'm probably messing up my teeth big time and I can't go to college like this. It's getting ridiculous.

What on earth can I do?

Users of TeenHelp have rated post 713186 as the most helpful or liked. Click here to skip right to it!
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Name: Lissa

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 12:13 PM

Talk to a therapist. Find someone who specializes in addictions. They should be able to help, or refer you to someone who can help you.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
Talk to a therapist. Find someone who specializes in addictions. They should be able to help, or refer you to someone who can help you.
my therapist has nothing to say about that, and we can't afford much else.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 03:22 PM

Hey there.

This sounds really annoying to have to deal with.

You say you've tried weaning yourself off it. Could you get someone to help you with this, like a parent/partner/friend? Someone who could help you when you slip up? Also, are you on any form of medication for the panic attacks, because if not this might be something to look into.

Keeping it under your pillow doesn't sound like a bad thing, so if you can get to a stage where you only need it close, as opposed to in your mouth, then that should be ok for starting college.

Can you ask your therapist why they have nothing to say about it? Is there no advice they can give you about overcoming bad habits like this one? I would bring it up again and ask them for advice, and find out why they wouldn't talk about it.

Hope I helped a bit.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionLover View Post
Hey there.

This sounds really annoying to have to deal with.

You say you've tried weaning yourself off it. Could you get someone to help you with this, like a parent/partner/friend? Someone who could help you when you slip up? Also, are you on any form of medication for the panic attacks, because if not this might be something to look into.

Keeping it under your pillow doesn't sound like a bad thing, so if you can get to a stage where you only need it close, as opposed to in your mouth, then that should be ok for starting college.

Can you ask your therapist why they have nothing to say about it? Is there no advice they can give you about overcoming bad habits like this one? I would bring it up again and ask them for advice, and find out why they wouldn't talk about it.

Hope I helped a bit.
I am medicated, and my friends know, but idk how to ask them to help me. My therapist did once tell me to hold it to my lips instead of in my mouth, but it ended up in my mouth anyway and told me he had nothing else to say. We're working on stopping SH right now

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 03:42 PM

You could try using some of the Alternatives to Self Harm when you want to use the pacifier. They may not work, but some of them are good distractions and you won't know until you've tried.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Macklemoist Offline
The show goes on
Average Joe

Name: Sabreena

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 04:08 PM

There is a show on TLC called "My Strange Addiction" I believe they helped someone who was like 35 & acting like a baby "a bottle, crib etc..." you could watch that & that might help/ give you some ideas of what to do... (:

Hope this helped! (:

Allow yourself to develop in all aspects of life- cut out from toxic people and realize it's for the best. Love yourself endlessly, and even if you don't love yourself right now, fake it until you do.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 07:55 PM

If your therapist isn't willing to help you, I'd suggest finding a new therapist.

4 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maloo View Post
If your therapist isn't willing to help you, I'd suggest finding a new therapist.
I've had my current therapist since I was 6

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Maloo Offline
Maloooooo
I can't get enough

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 27th 2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connietalbotfan View Post
I've had my current therapist since I was 6
But if they're not going to help you with a problem as big as this one, then they're really bad at their job.

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 28th 2011, 06:22 PM

Hey there,

You may find that your pacifier helps comfort you. A lot of people have addictions like sucking their thumb or do other things to help comfort them at different times of the day or just in general. It may be a good idea to bring up your addiction with your therapist who should be willing to help you break the cycle, if that is what you want. If they do not seem to be helping, it may be best to find another therapist who is wanting to help you stop using your pacifier, gradually.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 29th 2011, 01:21 AM

Get someone you know to hide them.

Should you be near a nervous breakdown, they will give one back to you as a fail-safe. Knowing you can get them should you need them really, really helps when dealing with any kind of hoarding, or item related addiction.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#13 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 29th 2011, 07:24 PM

Is it just a pacifier you use or is it also a crib, diapers, etc...? Also, does the pacifier serve any sexual purpose? I ask this since many people have autonepiophilia (aka paraphilic infantilism), in which they play infant-like roles using various baby items, including pacifiers, as a sexual fetish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraphilic_infantilism

If it's NOT sexually-based, then is it just the suckling that's relieving? Perhaps substituting pacifiers for lolly-pops or gum can be effective. As Justin stated, have a trusted person take all the pacifiers and similar baby items from you.

Your therapist sounds useless if he/she gives up quickly. Why have you been seeing him/her for 11-12 years?

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#14 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 29th 2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man And XX Master View Post
Is it just a pacifier you use or is it also a crib, diapers, etc...? Also, does the pacifier serve any sexual purpose? I ask this since many people have autonepiophilia (aka paraphilic infantilism), in which they play infant-like roles using various baby items, including pacifiers, as a sexual fetish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraphilic_infantilism

If it's NOT sexually-based, then is it just the suckling that's relieving? Perhaps substituting pacifiers for lolly-pops or gum can be effective. As Justin stated, have a trusted person take all the pacifiers and similar baby items from you.

Your therapist sounds useless if he/she gives up quickly. Why have you been seeing him/her for 11-12 years?
the pacifier is not fetish related. i do have a bit of a pee fetish but the pacifiers are not related, and knowing my relatives they wouldn't give it back, and lollipops aren't the same to me, they just don't feel the same.

and as for my therapist he's brought me so far, he just doesn't know what to do about this one

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Anonymous. Offline
I've been here a while

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 29th 2011, 11:25 PM

I have a thought. Why not start trying the baby bottle pops candy type things. It may help you with your addiction. Since the candy part you suck on is shaped like a pacifier then during the day, maybe try having that instead of the actual pacifier. Gradually wean yourself off like that then maybe try a lollipop or something similar in place of that. Because the flavors are similar. Do you get what I mean or are you totally confused? I know I get confusing sometimes, but I'm only trying to help.

This is just a thought.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
crazychick10793 Offline
Not a n00b

Re: This one is probably unusual - August 30th 2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenimSupergirl View Post
I have a thought. Why not start trying the baby bottle pops candy type things. It may help you with your addiction. Since the candy part you suck on is shaped like a pacifier then during the day, maybe try having that instead of the actual pacifier. Gradually wean yourself off like that then maybe try a lollipop or something similar in place of that. Because the flavors are similar. Do you get what I mean or are you totally confused? I know I get confusing sometimes, but I'm only trying to help.

This is just a thought.
I get what you mean but my mom is not a big fan of baby bottle pops. I'll try it though

(#17 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Re: This one is probably unusual - September 2nd 2011, 01:56 PM

Surely the baby bottle pops are better than an actual pacifier? Definitely worth a try.

Also, I think it might help if you dip your pacifier in vinegar, or another nasty-tasting substance. That way, if you do go to suck it, it'll taste horrible and hopefully put you off.

(#18 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: This one is probably unusual - September 4th 2011, 06:14 AM

I like Kate's idea. Try dipping it in something. Or changing it somehow so that it's uncomfortable. Or just quit cold turkey, get rid of all of them so you can't possibly be tempted.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

Closed Thread