TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Oral Fixation - October 5th 2011, 11:13 AM

I developed this habit of putting everything in my mouth. Especially pencils. I chew them till there's only the wood left. No covering. I even broke a few pens and pencils chewing them. So I did some research on it. And I have an oral fixation I guess.

http://www.earlyinterventionsupport....lfixation.aspx

I fit in with a lot of things described in the site.

Can anyone tell me more about them? Can these be because of mental problems?

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: Oral Fixation - October 15th 2011, 08:31 AM

Hey there.

I don't know whether this is to do with mental problems. It could just be a bad habit. If you are really worried, talk to a doctor. Also there are some types of therapy designed to help change behaviour so it might be a good idea to ask a doctor about that.

Try to make sure that the things you put in your mouth are clean.

Hester. x

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Oral Fixation - October 15th 2011, 05:18 PM

don't diagnose yourself, it really isn't at all helpful and it's rarely accurate. Besides, there's no such diagnosis as 'Oral fixation', that refers to a theoretical construct of psychoanalytic thought.

Eating inappropriate things (like pencils) is closer to pica, that's an actual diagnosis. However, it's unclear if your behavior would rise to the level of pica. Or, it's just a bad habit.

Make the attempt to NOT do this, either thru conscious awareness when you're writing with a pencil, or just get rid of all the pencils and use a pen. It takes a bit of will power, awareness, and self discipline to break a habit, but it can be done.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

Last edited by Ambedo.; April 19th 2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: User requested their name be removed.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Oral Fixation - October 19th 2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Bobby View Post
Make the attempt to NOT do this, either thru conscious awareness when you're writing with a pencil, or just get rid of all the pencils and use a pen. It takes a bit of will power, awareness, and self discipline to break a habit, but it can be done.
Pen is as bad. And its not just limited to pen pencils. Any paper in my hand, or the plastic on the remote. Even my mobile sometimes! I don't swallow anything. But I keep on biting. ANd I don't want to stop. Cuz it, I don't know feels good. I like the taste especially of the pen/pencils!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread