TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 9th 2011, 03:41 PM

I need to break this addiction.... badly. Any tips? I'm already addicted to gum.... I can't take another addiction. I'm currently eating like 3 containers of peanut butter a week.... and I'm gaining unnecessary weight from it. Not even taking into consideration how bad that much fat is for me....

HELP.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 9th 2011, 05:21 PM

I was going to come into this thread and point out how no one can be addicted to peanut butter, but holy crap, three jars? I would recomend first buying low, or no fat peanut butter. It doesn't taste as good, but it is healthier. Secondly I would try to cut down on consumption, or just stop buying it. If it's not around, you can't have it.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stupidity Kills
Outside, huh?

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 9th 2011, 11:52 PM

I'm not sure how you can be addicted to gum because you chew it and there's only a certain amount you can fit in your mouth... . I'm always skeptical whether such bizarre threads are legit and not trolling but I'll assume this is legit.

How did you get hooked on peanut butter? To me it seems like a compulsion rather than an addiction, although if you want to call it an addiction, it's purely a psychological one.

The problem with this "addiction" isn't simply the weight gain but the risk of aflatoxicosis, which isn't something you want. Aflatoxin is a mold that grows on the peanut plants and thanks to modern science, it's reduced to such a small amount it poses no harm to people who eat peanut butter every now and then, as most do. However, when you gobble down a hell of a lot for quite some time, you risk high levels of aflatoxin, which is a carcinogen and first hits your liver very hard, as demonstrated in dog studies (although not all dogs were affected immediately and once the dosage of aflatoxin stopped, their liver slowly recovered to a degree). For those that kept receiving aflatoxin, they eventually hemorraged, limbs swelled up like a balloon, behavioural changes and their entire GI system took a hit. In extremes it can cause coma, although I don't believe any occurred in the dog studies.

I can rip you off, and steal all your cash, suckerpunch you in the face, stand back and laugh. Leave you stranded as fast as a heart-attack.
- Danko Jones (I Think Bad Thoughts)

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 10th 2011, 03:15 AM

Hey Amy,

I'm not sure any physical addiction can come from peanut butter, but dang, this is a lot of peanut butter. I thought my Nutella addiction was bad, for I eat a big container of Nutella a month. But this is pretty extreme.

I am not a doctor, and I can't say exactly why you are doing this, but they say that you crave food because of a deficiency in a similar area. I would say that you might be deficient in protein or the kinds of healthy fat that are in peanut butter (Mono/Poloy-Unsaturated). You probably tend to avoid these nutrients, making it that your body craves a very pure source of them, like peanut butter. Though I'm not sure, and this is only a skeptical idea.

First, I would stop buying it completely, get the temptation away from you. Second, start eating a very well balanced diet that does have a good amount of protein and good fats (monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and omega-3s). And I really would talk to a professional about this. These kind of food addictions are hard to deal with alone, and might be best to talk to with a professional.

Good luck!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
sammip78 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sammi

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 10th 2011, 03:48 AM

you can certainly have any kind of food addiction. i am overweight and im addicted to all foods. its like my drug. im an emotional eater. i eat whenever my anxiety and depression is really bad. my advice to you is that start off by taking the consumption of peanut butter that you are eating down to maybe 1 jar a week and then take it down even more. i dont know if you want to stop eating it all together, but i would definitely try to slow down on how much your eating. smile! everything happens for a reason!

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Maverick. Offline
Deep Thinker
I've been here a while

Name: Anthony

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 10th 2011, 08:56 AM

Simple food addiction. I had a peanut butter period myself. You will eventually get tired of it and you will possibly find some other food to love. Don't worry.

You've had a landscaper and a house keeper since you were born
The sunshine always kept you warm.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
WashoutThePain Offline
=]
Outside, huh?

Name: Ask Away!

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 10th 2011, 12:58 PM

I just trashed all the peanut butter I had left, which was definitely anything but low fat haha. I bought a tiny container of hummus (with four ingredients, all natural). Hummus seems a little better for me, plus I don't like it as much so I won't be tempted to eat it all. I didn't know peanut butter what that awful for you. I am on Atkins, so I assume some of the cravings for starch/sugar is all from that.

As for the gum-- I'm chewing about 6 packs of orbit a day. But I'm not ready to give that up <3

Thanks for all the advice you guys-- I'm really working on it. I already feel better NOT having access to it. Although if I get a craving....

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 11th 2011, 02:26 AM

Peanutbutter isn't bad for you, especially on a low carb diet. But in that quantity is. Gum is a bit healthier, since it isn't adding weight, but maybe you can start chewing gum by half pieces? That's what I do to save my money.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Dream Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 11th 2011, 04:00 AM

I would say just go cold turkey. It is only peanut butter- the withdrawal can't be that bad.

Throw it away and do not buy any when you go to the store, and don't buy any until you feel better able to control yourself.

I know someone who cannot keep peanut butter in their house because they will eat the whole container in a day or two. You might be like them, maybe not. But yeah the stuff can be problematic if you overdo it.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
Samrz Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Sammi Paige

Re: Addicted to Peanut Butter - October 12th 2011, 12:53 AM

Umm. I've never heard of this before. Just...don't buy peanut butter. Or buy two jars a week. If you have no more peanut butter, DON'T BUY IT TIL NEXT WEEK. Then cut down to one jar a week. Then one jar every other week. Good Luck.

Love: Sammi Paige<3

It doesn't always seem like it, but there's always someone who cares about you.

Stay Strong<3

Music = My Happiness

Closed Thread