TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Chey-Chey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation i get addicted to anything "bad" - December 30th 2011, 05:45 AM

i get addicted to stuff incredibly easily. unfortunatly, its almost always something "bad" like stealing, sexual anything, lying, cutting, attempting suicide, anorexia, throwing up, and stuff like that.
anytime i have an oppurtunity occur where i can get away with ANYTHING bad, i do it. like smoking or taking a bit of alchohol when my parents aren't around (they don't drink, but they have so many kinds of alchohol in the house....)
its gotten really bad before, and its starting to get bad again. this time im going to hurt someone else if i keep it up.
when i look up this kind of thing, all i find is that i have an "addictive behavior"......but that doesn't exactly HELP....
so any advice? and therapy is out of the question cuz my mom is against it for whatever reason.
thanks everyone <3

If I can't stop you.... Leave me a note?
-Patrick
  Send a message via Yahoo to Chey-Chey  
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
bailatyvm Offline
bada bing bada boom.
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Faith

Re: i get addicted to anything "bad" - January 1st 2012, 03:55 AM

You seem to have what we call in our house an 'addictive personality'. Believe it or not it is a relevant problem that you definitely need help for. My stepdad has the same problem; sex, gambling, smoking, alcohol, mountain dew, lottery tickets..you name it, he's addicted. You HAVE to get help before it gets worse. I don't care what your mom thinks. Go to some kind of psychologist at your school to help you figure out why you're having these problems, okay? It can get more and more dangerous as time goes on, and no one wants that for you.

--
searching for myself...
and hugs. mostly hugs.
--

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
tess Offline
Tess
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Tess

Re: i get addicted to anything "bad" - January 1st 2012, 05:22 AM

hey Cheyenne, don't worry your not alone alot of people struggle with the same problem, personally I explain it as having a massive self destruct button you just have to keep on pressing! I know that you want answers on how to deal with it but the truth is I have never found any, I find instead that taking each day as it comes, and armed with a little self awareness tends to stave off the helplessness you can feel at these times, you know that you are inclined toward these addictions so the next time you feel one coming on stop and think about it. tell yourself that you have an addictive personality that you are addicted to bad things and really truly think about the consequences of what you are going to do. I find that this helps for me i hope this helps atleast a bit please feel free to PM me anytime

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Re: i get addicted to anything "bad" - January 9th 2012, 04:16 PM

Hey Cheyenne.
What's great is that you've realised that this is something that you need help or support with. As the others have said, this is a proper problem, and regardless of what your mum thinks if you think you need support then you do.
Schools usually have a guidance counselor who you can talk to about anything and for free, so as your mum is anti therapy that would be a good place to start. You probably wouldn't even need to tell her about it.
Another thing you could try would be to break bad habits slowly, one at a time. For example, you could start with the alcohol, and whenever you find yourself drinking make a conscious effort to stop, so that gradually you'll wean yourself off it. Maybe try making a note of whenever you feel like you're slipping into those behaviours so you can work out what you need help with?
Good luck. x

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.

Closed Thread