TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Palmolive Offline
Purr Purr Purr.
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Jessie

Energy drinks. - January 16th 2012, 03:36 PM

Hi there

I don't know if this is in the right place because I don't know if I'd call it an addiction. But I drink a lot of energy drinks. Normally a few over the weekend and then more in the mornings in the week. Like today, monday morning, no sleep, had two before school, then three more at school before 12pm. I need to be awake. But it's stupid because I just get hyper for half an hour and can't keep still then suddenly, it drops. But I get inpatient waiting for them to kick in so I find myself drinking more. I sometimes have coffee too. But the thing is when I'm hyper, I laugh, I actually laugh and it's like I've lost my mind and although my mood crashes after, I'm not doing to well at the moment and so I actually want that half hour of hyperness.

But this afternoon, after my mood crashed down, I became tired again and ended up throwing up, feeling sick and I am worried, that this is because of the energy drinks but I get such cravings that I just, need it, physically need it.

It wakes me. Makes me feel better. I just, eugh. Any advice? Is this a lot to be drinking?

Thanks

"Only in the dark, can you see the stars..."
Josie 12/3/2014, always in my heart. Sue 19/2/2016; Peter, Ellie, Hannah, Andy, Kirtsie RIP.

Helplink Mentor l Article writer l Forum mod l Community Mod

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Voldermorts Stalker

I can't get enough

Re: Energy drinks. - January 16th 2012, 04:22 PM

My friend used to drink tons of them, she slowly stopped drinking as many by drinking fewer and fewer, she still has 1 or 2 in the morning and one during the day. I don't know if it's a-lot to be drinking but my counsellor told me that I shouldn't be drinking as many as I do as I have problems sleeping. I usually drink about 3-4 in an average day when I'm at work ect.
Maybe try having one in the morning and one or two at about 12 / mid-day at school .

BADGER BADGER BADGER.........MUSHROOM!!!
Videos team
, articles team and helplink mentor and associate live help operator.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Re: Energy drinks. - January 16th 2012, 05:09 PM

Hey, I'm the same way with drinking energy drinks. I drink 2-6 a day, every day. I feel like an addict because I do the whole, I could stop if I want to song and dance and then find myself turning around and buying them again. I had an easier time quitting smoking xD

Anyways, I thought I would say this cause if I remember right you're actually on psychiatric medication right? What I've seen, in both myself and people I've met who have some sort of mental illness or problem is that they drink A LOT of coffee, energy drinks, tea, or caffeine pills. Caffeine effects peoples brains, it is a drug after all. It makes us bubbly, talkative, giggly, hyper, move around and for someone with (for example) depression experiences that for 30mins or an hour for the first time in SO long don't you think they'd do anything to do it over and over again?
I have bipolar and caffeine to me is like having cocaine. I could write a novel when I drink an energy drink, it'd probably be awful but I'd be so happy and pumped up about it I wouldn't even care.

My point is, I know where you're coming from with this energy drink thing. And it's hard as hell to stop. But if you're throwing up I would probably try drinking less and less every day. Maybe once you're at a lower amount switch to something with less caffeiene, like soft drinks, coffee, or tea?

And if you're tired in the morning, eating a whole apple or chewing gum actually does as good a job at waking you up as coffee does.

Member since 2005
  Send a message via MSN to Music  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Batman. Offline
Protector of Gotham
I can't get enough

Name: Julz

Re: Energy drinks. - January 17th 2012, 09:21 PM

Do you have energy shots in England? We have them here (i.e. "5 Hour Energy"), and they don't have the jitters or the crashes that energy drinks do.

If you can't find them in stores, you could maybe order some online here. My boyfriend tends to prefer these over energy drinks most of the time, actually.

Dare to be Different, to be Weird, to be a Freak.
Overall, Dare to be yourself.

Stamp Out Prejudice Hatred and Intolerance Everywhere
The Sophie Lancaster Foundation

Closed Thread