TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Unhappy Trichotillomania? - January 17th 2012, 10:33 PM

Ok, first off, I want to say that I'm really scared to post this thread. I think you guys might shun me or think I'm a gross nut. I need help though.

Probably a year to six months ago, I found my tweezers (that I usually use for my eyebrows) and I don't know. I had an extremely strong urge to start to tweeze my leg hairs. I gave in and pulled at the hairs for HOURS. I don't know what it was, but I loved the way it felt, and it seems like a huge stress reliever for me. It became a regular habit for another couple of months, until I realized how gross, red, and splotchy my legs were getting. I tried to quit, to hide the tweezers, but nothing worked. The most I stopped for was a few weeks. I try to keep up with my shaving so that I don't have any hairs that I can pull at, but I still dig and dig at pick at what's left and it is just awful. I hate the way my legs look, but I just can't stop.
The thing is...it's not only with my legs. I also tend to tweeze my pubic area and underarms sometimes. Uncontrollably. Please don't hate me. Or think I'm totally disgusting. I hate it, and it's horrid, but I can't help it.

I did some research on the internet, and found that I might have some kid of trichotillomania. Does that sound possible to you guys?

I am afraid to tell my parents to try and get help, because I know what they would do. They would just hate me and everything would get so much worse. I have no idea what I should do anymore. Is there anything I could try? Advice on telling my parents if you think I should? Do you think I might have Trich? What would happen if I did? Please help.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

Last edited by Laurasaurus; January 17th 2012 at 10:39 PM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Trichotillomania? - January 18th 2012, 01:01 AM

Hi,

I have trich, and that def sounds like trich (short for trichotillomania). I am here if you need someone to talk to. I've been dealing with it since I was around 15 but it feels like a lot longer. I have an amazing facebook that has helped me and supported me so much, they even showed me that it is possible to be pull free. I have gone days pull free because of the group. Let me know if you wanna join, you will be welcome there and everyone who is part of the group either has trich, or their child has trich (child is too young to have facebook, so parents are part of the group trying to understand). They will all help you and support you as well. PM me if you wish. I am even pulling as I write this. I do understand.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Char

Re: Trichotillomania? - January 30th 2012, 09:12 PM

Hey

I have TTM, I am the only person in the UK with a severe case of it :/ I don't want to go into too much detail because there's loads of stuff to say....but if you need any support I'm here for you

Also, I think you're a friend of my boyfriend >< heh

(#4 (permalink)) Old
leavemealone Offline
I Still Miss You <3
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Raewyn

Re: Trichotillomania? - January 30th 2012, 09:25 PM

Hi there!!! I'm Raewyn, and I have Trich too your not gross or crazy or anything, a lot of people go through it. And it is a sort of stress reliever. I personally do think that you have Trich, and its not a bad thing. I've had it for 9 years, almost 10. My parents know, and some of my friends do too. Nobody is going to shun you or be mean to your or treat you any differently. The worst they could do is ask how your doing. And if you want, there are some things you could do to stop. Like go to the doctor and ask about some medication or counseling that could possibly help you quit. This is just like any other disorder. Its difficult to quit, but not impossible. If you ever want to talk, PM me

Exert your talents, and distinguish yourself, and don't think of retiring from the world, until the world will be sorry that you retire

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Laurasaurus Offline
Learning to Fly
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Laura

Re: Trichotillomania? - January 30th 2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks guys.
I'm trying to take things one day at a time for now. Its all really overwhelming with everything else going on.

1/7/12 - Live Help Operator | 1/25/14 - HelpLINK Mentor | 6/8/14 - Depression and Suicide Forum Moderator | 6/8/14 - Addictive Behaviors Forum Moderator | 1/11/14 - Videos Team Member | 4/11/15 - Senior Live Help Operator

I will be generous with my love today. I will sprinkle compliments and uplifting words everywhere I go. I will do this knowing that my words are like seeds and when they fall on fertile soil, a reflection of those seeds will grow into something greater.

PM / VM

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Wildflower ♥ Offline
Soakin' up the way of life
I've been here a while

Name: A Team

Re: Trichotillomania? - January 30th 2012, 10:49 PM

It can be really overwhelming, but there are resources, like you have found, that will help you pull through. Legitimately, if anyone here, has not yet joined the facebook group that I recommend, I highly suggest you do, they support you so much and many people even become pull free. Because there isn't meds you can take, only really changes in your diet.

Send a message via AIM to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via MSN to Wildflower ♥ Send a message via Skype™ to Wildflower ♥ 
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Dopey Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Trichotillomania? - January 30th 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoVeMeHaTeMeBeAutIfUlMe View Post
Probably a year to six months ago, I found my tweezers (that I usually use for my eyebrows) and I don't know. I had an extremely strong urge to start to tweeze my leg hairs. I gave in and pulled at the hairs for HOURS. I don't know what it was, but I loved the way it felt, and it seems like a huge stress reliever for me. It became a regular habit for another couple of months, until I realized how gross, red, and splotchy my legs were getting. I tried to quit, to hide the tweezers, but nothing worked. The most I stopped for was a few weeks. I try to keep up with my shaving so that I don't have any hairs that I can pull at, but I still dig and dig at pick at what's left and it is just awful. I hate the way my legs look, but I just can't stop.
The thing is...it's not only with my legs. I also tend to tweeze my pubic area and underarms sometimes. Uncontrollably. Please don't hate me. Or think I'm totally disgusting. I hate it, and it's horrid, but I can't help it.
I have been doing this for years. I hate it, hate the marks and scars it has left on my legs. I have tried stopping but have never been able to. I've just sort of accepted it as part of my life. Never realised it could be an actually disorder of sorts. I guess its good to know that I'm not the only one who does this though

Closed Thread