TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
kate19 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Question Biting my bottom lip - January 30th 2012, 04:31 AM

I am CONSTANTLY biting my bottom lip and can't seem to stop. The skin on my bottom lip is constantly torn because of this. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem and if they had found a way to stop?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Biting my bottom lip - January 30th 2012, 05:58 AM

I find myself doing it a lot too but never really thought of it as an issue cause I've never made my lips sore from it.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
makeupshadow Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lauren

Re: Biting my bottom lip - January 30th 2012, 06:18 AM

I have a problem similar to that I lick my lips and makes them chap cracked to where it hurts really bad to even talk sometimes. If your lip is torn just put sO
E Chapstick on. Maybe u can find a taste that u hate terribly and stick it on your lips. Your bound to taste something when u bit it (:

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Manasvi
Location: A hidden, faaaaar-off world where people love each other and everything is just perfect. :)

Re: Biting my bottom lip - January 30th 2012, 03:16 PM

well...i used to do that. but not anymore. i didn't use anything special. i just used my will-power. i constantly reminded myself that i am slowly ruining my lips! :P xx

All we can do is Keep Breathing...!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
craz33me Offline
because...cats.
I've been here a while

Name: Ciara(:

Re: Biting my bottom lip - January 30th 2012, 03:23 PM

I do the same thing, but I can't ever find anything that will help..
Sorry

A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Send a message via Skype™ to craz33me 
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Squiggly Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Biting my bottom lip - January 30th 2012, 04:04 PM

I do the exact same thing! I do it constantly and it's always really sore. I have been trying to find ways to stop doing it but I haven't been successful yet. I will let you know when I figure it out .

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Average Joe

Re: Biting my bottom lip - January 31st 2012, 10:06 PM

Yeah me too I bite the inside of my cheeks too. Annoying.

You believe there's somewhere else
Where it's easier than this
And you see outside yourself
And you buy the hole you'll fill
-Foo Fighters

(#8 (permalink)) Old
amystery Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Becca

Re: Biting my bottom lip - January 31st 2012, 10:28 PM

Looks like there are a lot of us who do that and not many solutions. Do you do it when bored or nervous or something? I found that chewing gum helped..but i guess I just replaced it with an addiction to chewing gum haha.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Biting my bottom lip - February 3rd 2012, 12:47 PM

I did some research on this and well, here are some ideas to help stop biting our lips!

-Firstly, take a mental note every time you do it and tell yourself to stop. None of the ways mentioned below will work without this. Try putting up notes that you have to stop where you can see them

- Try to notice you lip if your hands are picking at ur lip, or if your biting it. In case of hands, you need to find something to distract you, like holding a pen, phone, run fingers through your hair something.

- Try keeping a toothpick in your mouth and bite on it whenever you feel the urge to bite your lips. (Don't develop an addiction for the toothpick please!)

- Get an awful tasting lip gloss (Blistex tastes awful, peppermint lip gloss too), or vaseline (it can make your lips slippery making it difficult to bite), whatever you can't stand the taste of! Then when you bite your lip it'll taste nasty and you'll slowly stop doing it. Neospirin will help your lips heal at the same time. You can even use those fruity lip balms, just use one of a fruit that you don't like.

-Apply lip balm regularly. When you go to bite, you'll feel/taste the balm there and it will remind you to stop. Usually you'll wind up rubbing your lips together balmily instead.

- Try chewing gum because you can't chew your lips and the gum at the same time!

- Get a bottom lip piercing and chew on the ring instead!

-You can also scare yourself a little -- get a photo of your face and draw marionette lines on it. Those are the wrinkles and creases that extend downward from the edge of your lips, and lip chewing will increase them. Keep that photo handy whenever you feel the urge.

- Put an antibiotic ointment on your lips every night, it helps retain the moisture.

- Currently I am using Lotus Herbals Velvety Rose lip balm with SPF 15. I apply it every night, or 2-3 times during the day. It heals my lips beautifully!

And this one is a wonderful idea that I saw somewhere. Here's the story that that person had posted-

Hi,
I've stopped biting finger nail for 1 month. A bit of sharing as in how i stop finger nail biting. Hope the concept helps.
"If I want to get back together with my ex-girlfriend, I have to stop finger nail biting. If I stop biting for 24 hour, I get to give her a call. Once I bite my fingers, the "24 hours" period restarts from the moment I bite my fingers."
The idea is: I really really like to/love to/wish to/dream to/fancy getting back together with my ex-girlfriend. Whenever, I bite my fingers, I was like, "shit... I have to wait for another 24 hours".
When I look at my fingers, I think of my ex gf; the thought of calling her makes me stop biting my finger not to trigger the 24 hours count down; Stop biting my fingers make me look forward to calling her.
For me, the important point/main idea/strategy is:
If there is something you really really want, make that your aim/objective/target/dream, and stop yourself from biting fingers if you really want to achieve that. Calling ex-girlfriend every day is what i want in order to get back with her. If i bite my fingers, i can not call her as a form of punishment for doing bad things.
Hope this punishment VS reward concept helps.

It is always a nice idea to consult a doctor if you think that the problem is very serious.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Last edited by Solivagant; February 3rd 2012 at 05:36 PM.

Closed Thread