TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Exclamation Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 8th 2012, 09:42 AM

Well, to be brief, for half a year now I haven't been able to sleep early (early being 12 AM at the latest). Every single night, even when I have school or work the next morning, I find myself sleeping at 2 or 3 in the morning simply because that's when my brain says "ok, time to stop and sleep" (I'm not even sleepy at this time!).

Now, I've been trying to sleep earlier but I haven't been able to actually go to bed at a decent time and wake up the next morning (whenever I manage to fall asleep, I wake up a few hours later like at 2 in the morning, thus totally ruining any kind of sleep pattern I may still have).

I want to be able to sleep at normal hours because I've missed certain classes since I haven't been able to get up on time; I've been really lucky that I've only missed lecture classes and not test days. The fact that I have tuesdays, and fridays off from school actually encourages this habit, and doesn't help me at all!

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated!

Carpe Diem: Seize the Day/Moment. -Horace

Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered -Julius Caesar

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Prof.Engrish Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 8th 2012, 03:57 PM

Hey so basically what seems to be happening is that your body already has taken the time you always go to sleep into your sleep schedule. This is really important to your body as a constant sleep schedule allows your body to experience each stage of sleep (I.E REM). When our body is accustomed to each stage we get a better nights sleep and have more energy with our day.

Like any habit, simply changing your schedule wouldn't be really easy. For starters, (if you have the money) there is a natural supplement that can be found in any vitamin rack called melatonin. Melatonin basically helps your body to re-arrange a new sleep cycle/schedule, simply taking one before trying to sleep and trying other non-drug means to sleep would be the fastest way. Some ways I like to fall asleep is to drink a cup of warm milk or drink anything with dairy. I also found music to be helpful.

Try to experiment things that help you to fall asleep and with the melatonin; you can do it!

"This is 10% Luck, 20% Skill, 15% Concentrated Power of Will, 5% Pleasure, 15% Pain; And a 100% reason to remember the name!"
Buddy/Live Help Operator/Technology and Gaming & Current Event and Debates Forum Moderator
PM/VM
  Send a message via AIM to Prof.Engrish  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Singer180 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Basel

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 9th 2012, 12:48 PM

I used to have a problem trying to sleep to. I don't know if this will work for you, but it worked for me. I think that to establish a new sleeping schedule you have to shock your body back into your new schedule. So next time stay up all night even when you feel tired. Drink some coffee, 5-Hour Energy, etc. Stay up all day as well and by the time you reach the night time (around 9 or 10) you'll practically pass out. That should get you back on the right sleeping schedule because everyone only has so long that they can be awake without feeling tired or fatigued.

Usually we're awake anywhere from 15-18 hours and asleep 8 hours and below. So if you force yourself to stay awake past this (over 18) you can pretty much set your resting period as your body will want to take what it can get. Hope this helps!!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 16th 2012, 07:48 AM

Thanks Basel!

I've been trying this lately but what's been happening is that coffee/energy drinks are making me stay awake a few more hours so instead of going to sleep at 3AM, I'm going to sleep at 6AM and waking up at 4PM thus ruining my sleep pattern even more.

It's coming to the point where night time is when I'm wide awake, and day time is when I'm half awake. D;

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Unknown10 Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 18th 2012, 08:36 AM

Hey,

Firstly, I'd suggest reducing your caffeine intake. Caffeine is often a cause for sleeplessness since energy drinks and coffee are initially designed to keep you awake and alert. If you feel as though you need to drink one, try an alternative such as tea or water and orange juice. If you like to drink them daily, try drinking it earlier on during the day rather than at night. Also, setting yourself a sleeping schedule and keeping it to a strict regime can help your sleeping patterns. It would most likely be difficult at first, but after a couple of weeks it will get easier for you and you'd eventually be sticking to the sleeping patterns. If you're studying, it is probably best to make a day time table and try to keep to that as much as possible so you get time to study and for any other things you may do during your day.

I hope this has helped.
Take care.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
cat4hurricane Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alexander

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 26th 2012, 03:59 AM

This Always happens to me too, try things that would make you tired? Reading, tea, hot/warm milk?

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 27th 2012, 12:09 AM

I seem to have developed this problem now too. Reduce or eliminate caffine, if you're going to drink something caffinated, finish it before 2PM. Also, do things that make you tired and force yourself to get up on time, even if you really don't want to, then you'll be tired at a reasonable time and that will help reset your sleep schedule. Don't read or watch tv from your bed and try to stop all activity at least 30 minutes to an hour before trying to fall asleep. If that doesn't work, try flipping or rotating your mattress.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - February 27th 2012, 10:03 AM

I don't like coffee, and I rarely have energy drinks so I don't think that's it for me... it's 3AM as I'm typing this haha , but I'll try your suggestions guys, thanks!

(#9 (permalink)) Old
BulletHoles Offline
BulletHoles
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alicia

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - March 2nd 2012, 05:44 PM

Melatonin (check the spelling for that) will help you fall asleep and stay asleep. It is a natural chemical your body makes to help you sleep. You can get it at most convenient stores in a pill or powder form.
  Send a message via Skype™ to BulletHoles 
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Veni Vidi Vici Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - March 3rd 2012, 06:27 AM

Alright, I'll look into that, thanks!

(#11 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
Lead Moderator

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: Sleeping Pattern Help! - March 3rd 2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletHoles View Post
Melatonin (check the spelling for that) will help you fall asleep and stay asleep. It is a natural chemical your body makes to help you sleep. You can get it at most convenient stores in a pill or powder form.
This. I use it all the time for when I need to get my sleep cycle back in order. Even when I have jet lag or something. Just take it about an hour or so before you plan on going to bed and it helps you fall asleep faster.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor

Closed Thread