TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Melancholia. Offline
Devil Dez

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez

Addicted to picking scalp and running fingers through hair? - March 5th 2012, 03:33 AM

I find that a lot of the time I will be running my fingers through my hair to feel my scalp, and then if I find a lump or something I will pick at my scalp in that area until it hurts or the piece of dry skin or whatever comes off. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it right away. It doesn't matter if I'm in school or am home, I'll still do it. A lot of the time my mom even tells me to get my fingers out of my hair. Is this an addiction and is it a problem since I pick? Or is it just a bad habit? I find it hard to stop doing. Thanks all!

Let it come and let it be...

Send a message via Yahoo to Melancholia.  
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
ForgetMeNot9 Offline
Muggle
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

Re: Addicted to picking scalp and running fingers through hair? - March 5th 2012, 04:17 AM

I would call this just a bad habit. I actually catch myself doing this a lot too and I almost find it soothing? I don't know But I would compare it to someone who bites all their fingernails off or chews on their hair.

Rescue is possible. Love is the movement ♥

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Tigerlily. Offline
Rawr
I can't get enough

Name: Cheye

Re: Addicted to picking scalp and running fingers through hair? - March 7th 2012, 09:41 AM

Haha, I do that too, but I would just say it's a small habit, it's not really doing any damage, so long as you don't pick until it bleeds. As for running your hands through your hair, it's naturally soothing to people. For whatever reason, I'm not entirely sure. I know that with me, my mom would run her hands through my hair to put me to sleep as a toddler, and I picked it up, even putting myself to sleep that way as a toddler. It's just soothing, nothing to worry about.

Resident old person, back from much needed, multiple year hiatus.

HelpLINK Mentor(1/28/11)Live Help Operator(5/28/11)Social Networking Team(2/9/12)Rape and Abuse Forum Moderator(2/11/12)Articles Team(7/17/12)Sex and Puberty Forum Moderator(7/28/12)Fashion and Style Forum Moderator(9/23/12)Chat Mod(10/13/12)Buddy(11/18/12)
  Send a message via MSN to Tigerlily. Send a message via Yahoo to Tigerlily. Send a message via Skype™ to Tigerlily. 
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Addicted to picking scalp and running fingers through hair? - March 11th 2012, 09:12 PM

I do it too Like all the time! It irritates my mum s lot But I still do it Its like I am addicted and can't stop.

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

(#5 (permalink)) Old
George^^ Offline
Hi :D
Senior TeenHelper

Name: George

Re: Addicted to picking scalp and running fingers through hair? - March 11th 2012, 09:45 PM

I do the picking sometimes too, and running your hands through your hair... I use to do that because I had longer hair (I now have a shorter hair cut) and had to do that because my hair would get tangled again, and again, no matter if I combed it in the morning or not.

I've said it once, I've said it twice, I've said it a thousand fucking times
That I'm OK, that I'm fine, that it's all just in my mind
But this has got the best of me, and I can't seem to sleep
It's not 'cause you're not with me, it's cause you never leave

Closed Thread