TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Redangel1992 Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Exclamation Scratching and pulling my hair - March 14th 2012, 11:46 AM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hi all, not sure where to start if i am honest,
I am 19 years old, Dont speak to my parents or siblings, ome frm a very broken home, living now (after 2 days) with my partner)
I have away had emotional issues and dont know what to do about them, i am on aunti-depressants after a chat with my GP, but i think i am addicted to scratching y skin until it bleeds and also i pull my hair out i run my fingers through my hair and pull my hair out i dont know what started it but i do it in most day to day situations, i pull my fringe out alot too, also i scratch my skin with my finger tips until i bleed to get rid of tension and feel more comfortable but its also now like a habit, i have tryed to stop but i dont know what else to try i have tryed so many different things to try and stop but when im in an uncomfortable situation or even when i dont know what to say i do it, can anyone help as i feel like im the only ne, and dont know what to do, i scratch my skin until i bled then have this uncontrolable urge to scratch more this started about 18 months ago now and will not go away as i keep doing it, i freequently play with my hair it doesnt matter if it is down or up i will still pull at it and more often than not pull it out i dnt know what to do or if anything else can help, i am open to help and suggestions, thanks
Red x

Last edited by Redangel1992; March 14th 2012 at 05:16 PM. Reason: missed a bit out :(

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Choose Offline
Invest in yourself.
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: Scratching and pulling my hair - March 16th 2012, 04:50 PM

Hey Sara, sorry to hear about all of this. Just curious, but how long have you been on the anti-depressants? The safest thing in this situation seems to be just speaking with your GP and see if there's any other underlying issues that may be causing the compulsive behavior, like added stress to your life in the last 18 months or something along those lines. I hope things improve and that you keep us updated on everything.

Take care,
Alex

"Ignore the ramblings of the ignorant, and step on or over their crumpled bodies as you make your way to the top of the mountain. Eat upon their flesh for fuel, and, through your determination and will, banish them to obscurity and a life of complacency and self righteousness that is the hell in which they live"

-Richard Safreed

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Scratching and pulling my hair - March 16th 2012, 05:51 PM

Hey Sara

Like Alex said, talking to your GP about this will be a good idea. Also I wanted to link the alternatives that you can use when you get the urges to scratch yourself or anything like that. Every person is different and they use SH for a different reason. So every alternative too doesn't work for everyone. Go through the list, keep on trying the alternatives till you find the one that works for you.

PM/VM me anytime if you need to talk.
Take care <3

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Last edited by Solivagant; March 16th 2012 at 06:13 PM.

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
Closed Thread