TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Addictive Behaviours Discuss and receive support for addictions not related to substance use, such as gambling, Internet, sex or work addictions, in this forum.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BreakingBecci Offline
Becci
Not a n00b

Name: Becci

Clicking my teeth and jaw. - April 12th 2012, 11:15 PM

So all the time, if I'm not speaking, eating or drinking, I will bite at the air and make my teeth click together, or open my mouth until my jaw clicks. My orthodontist always has a go at me for it, because it's most likely going to give my proper jaw problems in the future and my jaw is bad enough already (it clunks when I open it, it locks, and I need jaw surgery to fix an overbite and crossbite). It's also grinding down my teeth every time I bite at nothing.

I get really strange looks all the time, and I don't like it, but I can't help doing it. I get uncomfortable if I don't, and if I don't click my jaw for a few hours, it becomes almost impossible to open my mouth wide enough to eat without excruciating pain.

Another problem is that I have restless leg syndrome which really annoys everyone that I'm in a room with. People are always complaining.

Does anyone know anything that might help me stop? Or have anything similar?

Do not base your happiness off someone else.
you-go-dumbledork.tumblr.com

Last edited by BreakingBecci; April 12th 2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Post was unfinished when originally posted.
  Send a message via Skype™ to BreakingBecci 
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: Clicking my teeth and jaw. - April 13th 2012, 06:19 PM

Becci, you might have someone look into the proper cause for the jaw, the only thing that comes to mind is TMJ..that's a painful condition that affects the joint where the jaw attaches to the skull, just below the ear, where it's hinged. That's a medical condition, that's treatable. If not, then it's behavioural, and you'll need to exert self control.

'Restless leg syndrome' is also a medical condition, if your doc can confirm that with proper evaluation. if not, the that's also something that you'll have to become more aware of and exercise more self control over.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Sequin Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Molly

Re: Clicking my teeth and jaw. - April 14th 2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBecci View Post
I get uncomfortable if I don't, and if I don't click my jaw for a few hours, it becomes almost impossible to open my mouth wide enough to eat without excruciating pain.
OP, based on this sentence, it appears your condition is physical in nature. You will need to consult a medical professional.

I only offer this advice because you asked.

I wish you luck in dealing with your condition.

Closed Thread