TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
VampirePrincess Offline
Ice Princess
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Crystal

Being a Better Person - May 10th 2012, 08:50 PM

It's incredible how quickly your life can change, really. I used to have my life all figured out. But one tiny thing, combined with bad circumstances, can sometimes change a person for good. Here's the thing: I'm determined to come out of this a better person.

I won't bore you with the details of such a story. But over the past three years, I've been experiencing rapid weight gain and rapid grade dropping, with no time to study and raise those grades and not being healthy enough to exercise. Add that crippling soda addiction of mine and you've got the recipe for low self-esteem right there.

And so, I set goals for myself on each of these things. These were my goals:

1. Start exercising
2. Start studying
3. Stop drinking soda

Okay, so a rather simplistic list. But here's the thing: as of last week, I can officially say I've met those goals! I exercise every Saturday morning with a friend, and look for ways to make it fun. I study every Saturday afternoon with my boyfriend. Now this didn't really help me at all in those areas, but it did do one thing, it raised my confidence. And so, I added another goal to my list:

4. Overcome fears

Fears being heights and falling, which are starting to interfere so badly in my life that I'll be house-bound if I don't fix it soon. Now, I've been keeping up with doing this for a little while, and I was just starting to lose faith when something amazing happened: I found my cure to a soda addiction. You see, I need something sweet to drink, but I'm not sold on sugar - diet sodas taste awesome to me, in other words. But, diets taste like regular. Which means I would easily slip back into old habits...and I would still consume enough calories to make exercise not matter. I needed something that wasn't soda, and was healthy. And there, sitting in the store, in front of me all along, was Cascade Ice. It tastes like soda...but with only [Edited] calories, and no sugar. I haven't had anything but that to drink for the past week, with one exception (when I went out to dinner and there was nothing else - I refuse to drink water).

Item #3 on my list can officially be crossed off!

Now, I focus on Item #2. Studying. I just finished finals, so this is off my list for now. But my result from what I had been doing: my grades went up! Or at least didn't drop quite so far. I managed to pull my first A on an exam in a long time. Still only have a C in the class...but I'm very happy with that C. I have a C+ in another class. I have an F in lab, a definite passing grade in one class that hasn't come in yet, and an almost certain fail that I'm also waiting for...but these are the best looking grades I've had in three years, and I used to be a straight A student so you know this time period has been torture for me.

Item #2 on my list can officially be crossed off!

Now, what's interesting is, I can combine #1 and #4 in some ways, but I can also expand on #1. So, here is my new list of goals:

1. Archery
2. Rock climbing
3. Ziplining
4. Build upper arm strength

I also do an hour on the eliptical machine every time I go to the gym, just so you don't think I'm only training for those things up there. My workouts consist of running, lunges, weightlifting, stair climbing, and a few other things.

Archery sounds like fun, and I keep getting Groupons for it. Considering I can buy a lesson for two people, it's a fun thing for my boyfriend and I to do together. Maybe it's not the most activity I could do, but it keeps me out of the house, and is a great replacement for fencing. I do like fencing, but it's expensive...while I would say equipment costs are the same, there's still a good price difference where I live. Fencing costs about $200 a month for just a few lessons, and $100 extra if you want to do any fencing for fun...archery costs $19 a lesson and $13 for an all day pass to do it for fun.

Rock climbing terrifies me, but I went with a friend and actually had some fun. She says I did well for a beginner because I looked down and didn't get sick, and I got about a foot up instead of just stepping on the first hold. I haven't been able to let go and come down like normal though, which is my real goal with rock climbing.

Ziplining would be cool to do, but it's actually the last thing I'll be doing on that list. I want to do more rock climbing first, and build up that upper arm strength. My family is already making bets that I can't go through with it. I'll show them!

And upper arm strength...I just want it. My family has a genetic arm weakness and I don't think I'm alone in saying that. I'm sick of being the weakling in my circle of friends.

But through all this list making and goal setting, I've discovered that I have become a different person. I started out smart, but ignorant about many aspects of life, I was a dull person and never really did anything unusual. Then I became an even more dull person, who was quickly becoming stupid and anti-social and was unhappy. And now I've become a happy person, determined to enjoy life while I still can, taking all those bad things and turning them into strengths. Which is why I have one last, final item for my list.

5. Be a better person

I love my new goals. <3

{{sending PINTEREST invites! just ask!}}

Volume of a Doughnut
V = 2(pi)^2 * R(r)^2

Last edited by Chris; May 23rd 2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Edited the amount of calories displayed: Please read the CoC

(#2 (permalink)) Old
jodi322 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jodi McCann

Re: Being a Better Person - May 10th 2012, 09:11 PM

First off, I want to tell you "Good for you!"
Your post has really inspired me to do more with my life. I feel like an underachiever for not aspiring to do more, though I have similar goals. HaHa I have also been working on my strength all around because I am tired of being the weakest one amidst my group of friends and have been working on overcoming some of my own fears as well. I have been successful thus far and feel so much better about myself because of this!
As my pappy used to say, "Keep on truckin'" 'till you reach your goals!

Stay Strong.
Message me if you need to talk. I may not always have the best advice, but I'm always willing to listen.
Aim for the moon for if you fall, you will land amoungst the stars.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Being a Better Person - May 19th 2012, 08:29 PM

Good for you, it's so important to have goals and it's even better than you are completing them! I should definitely try some of those things... heights and falling are a fear of mine too... combined with dogs (as in the ones I don't know) and bees. I've got a few fears I should start overcoming... That all sounds like a blast (: Another idea to overcome heights is trying a high ropes course, you have like a safety line thing on so you won't fall, but you are really high up in the air and have all these difficult tasks like hopping from a hanging tire in the air to another hanging tire, walking across swings, walking alone a tight rope, etc. It's fun, I've only done one inside (I got to the top of one outside and changed my mind lol), but it definitely helps with the height fear I've noticed.

Closed Thread