TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Changes - My Goals - August 29th 2012, 02:06 PM

It's a new school year, and it's also my final school year EVER. I've accomplished so much, yet I'm still lacking in some areas. My goals this year:

1) Start with talking to new people. From now on, I don't want to pass up the chance to make a new friend. I am going to start talking to random people I don't know. This was my goal last year, but I didn't fulfill this goal. This year, I have to achieve this goal.

2) Get fit. Last year (January 2011) I made the goal to weigh what I weighed in 9th grade. Well, I now weigh what I weighed in 7th-8th grade. So, I did attain one goal last year. I'm shooting for 5th-6th grade now, then I'll be at my ideal weight. I'm going to cut out soda pop completely, limit going out to eat, do some form of exercise every single day, eat junk food sparingly, and control my portion sizes.

3) Decide what I want to do with my life. Here I am, in my last year in college, and I have no idea where I'm going to be at this time next year. It's scary! Up until this point in my life, I always knew where I'd in a year. I even had my college selected a year before I moved. This goal is a little bit more complex than my other two and requires a lot more work. It's going to require some thinking on my part, and I'm not exactly sure where to begin.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount20

Edit avatar

Re: Changes - My Goals - August 29th 2012, 02:19 PM

Those sound like excellent goals, Nikki!

Finishing college is a scary prospect, because for over a decade and half, you've known what your life will be like tomorrow: you'll wake up, you'll go to school/classes, you come home to do homework, you do other things, you go to bed, repeat the next day unless it's a weekend or the summer. When the weekend and summer ends, you go into the same routine.

You already have a degree in business, right? You can find jobs out there, even if it'll take a while to find them. Meanwhile, you can take up new hobbies, find something you enjoy doing as an adult.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Dark-and-Twisty Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nicole

Re: Changes - My Goals - August 29th 2012, 03:12 PM

I have an associate's degree in Communications, which got me my current part-time job (well, I started as an intern). I know that my current part-time salary will not suffice me once I graduate college, though. I almost want to get a second job now and start saving money, but I don't want to overload myself. I really wanna start a ROTH IRA, and I have the money I need to start it now. I'm just afraid if I take that money out now, I'll be living paycheck to paycheck...literally, and that's something I've never done before.:/ I'm also afraid if I don't start it now, I am going to regret it later.

"You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are."

~ Derek, Grey's Anatomy

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Solivagant Offline
Previously Apple of your eye
I've been here a while

Name: Suv

Re: Changes - My Goals - September 1st 2012, 07:31 PM

Hey Nicole,

Here's what-

1.) Clubs. Great way to meet people that share common interests. It is easy to strike up a conversation with members of a club that you're a part of.

2.) I have a few suggestions for this one.
-To reduce portion sizes, you can start by reducing the size of the utensil that you're eating in.
-You can stop keeping junk food stored at your place. Keep fruits instead, they make a healthy snack.
-You must eat small, healthy portions every 2 hours or so as it keeps up your metabolism which in turn makes fat burn faster.

3.) Here's a speech from Eclipse.
Quote:
When we were five,
they asked us what we
wanted to be when we
grew up. Our answers
were thing like
astronaut, president, or
in my case… princess.
When we were ten, they
asked again and we
answered - rock star,
cowboy, or in my case,
gold medalist. But now
that we've grown up,
they want a serious
answer. Well, how 'bout
this: who the hell
knows?!
This isn't the time to
make hard and fast
decisions, its time to
make mistakes. Take the
wrong train and get
stuck somewhere chill.
Fall in love - a lot. Major
in philosophy 'cause
there's no way to make
a career out of that.
Change your mind. Then
change it again, because
nothing is permanent.
So make as many
mistakes as you can.
That way, someday,
when they ask again
what we want to be… we
won't have to guess.
We'll know.
Where to begin? By deciding what you want from life. I'd ask questions like-
What are my interests?
What kind of job would I like? A MNC kind or a hospital kind. What would be hours, the pay, the environment etc. Start from easy, basic questions and then go on to the complex ones. And finally be ready to make some compromises. Because life is a package of the good and the bad and it is impossible to make get everything that we want.

Keep in mind that with age, decisions change. Our choices change. Right and wrong changes. What was right or wrong at 20 may not be the same at 40. Just remember that your choice was the right thing to do and what you had needed/ wanted at that time.

I hope that this helps.
Good luck!

"Words are, in my not so humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic, capable of both inflicting injury and remedying it."

-Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Closed Thread