TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Goals and Ambitions Share your goals and ambitions here, whether they are about your future career, recovery aims or anything else you're hoping to achieve.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Name: Adam

Unhappy Making some Money... - December 26th 2012, 01:52 PM

Christmas was great, and I'm going to seem really ungrateful here. But I'm not. Just a bit frustrated.

So, here's the thing - I want an iPhone 4S (I'd be happy with a 5, but the point here is trying to save money!), or rather I need one for school.
I got a phone earlier this year that I thought would probably be good enough, and it was something cheap enough that I could persuade my mum to get it. Unfortunately, it was free...and you get what you pay for. So now I'm stuck with a piece of junk that doesn't work, and is totally unsuitable.

Despite putting the iPhone at the top...and as the only thing on my Christmas list, I didn't get it. I didn't expect to, because no-one is willing to spend that much on me. So I thought I'd perhaps be given money towards it, or something.

Well, I didn't get much money, and whilst the things I got were lovely, they're not going to be very helpful in getting myself an iPhone.
Short of drawing out my savings, which is not a good idea at all, I don't have anywhere near enough money to get one - when I put all of my funds together, I get just about 100 (bearing in mind that what I want costs about 500). No-one has any money to give me, and my birthday is in November, so asking for a third time is probably not going to be helpful for this year.

As I'm totally stuck, therefore, I thought I'd get a job.
However, the laws here make employing minors a nightmare, and so there aren't many things people my age can do.
It's really not gardening weather, plus the only person I managed with that is having their house redone, so with it on the ground now is not a great time for them. Paper round openings seem non-existent, and there aren't many other things I can do.
I can design websites pretty darn well, but I pride myself on doing it to a high quality and cheaply, not squeezing out every penny like most others try to. So, that's not going to make me anywhere near enough money, because I do it as a hobby, not as a business, and turning it properly into a business is not somewhere that I want to go with it.

[if you're still reading at this point, thanks, it's a long thread! ]

So...any suggestions? Jobs don't seem to exist, I have no money, no-one else has any money and any complaints or requests prompt a long rant and argument filled with guilt trips, and stupid excuses, and I'm thoroughly frustrated because I do need it for school. Additionally, it's fair to say that I'm in a pretty well-off school (as in, we have people who have limos, and Bentleys, etc.) and most of my peers have been totally untouched by any of the economic turmoil that's happening. It's fair to say that I have. Talking to them about it will either make them laugh, although when I did talk to the one person I trust, it just made her feel awful. I don't want to do that again.

So, I'm not complaining...but I am.
Any ideas or suggestions a) on trying to actually get the iPhone, b) possibly getting a job and what I could actually try to do, and c) how on earth I'm supposed to cope at school with everyone randomly going "Oh, look at this" as they show their nice watch which costs the amount my family gets in a month?

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13
...spreading happiness and joy around the Internet!
...well, I try, anyway. .......................
private message.visitor message.profile.email
"May we always remember that we are the rainbow."

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: Making some Money... - December 26th 2012, 06:58 PM

Wow, well you seem to be in a tight spot (and I've been there and done that). Let me try to give you a few suggestions:

Quote:

a) on trying to actually get the iPhone,
Here are the following options that I think you could do to get an iPhone:
-Get a job (which you already talked about)
-Look for a different but similar phone that may be cheaper
-Try to look around for a used iPhone (which is what I did when I got my first iPhone - and it was cheap, but worked great)
-See if you are able to get any money off due to using it for school (alot of companies will offer money off if used for educational purposes).

Quote:
b) possibly getting a job and what I could actually try to do,
-Start your own side business (which is what I did). Mow some lawns, do landscaping, etc when good weather comes around. You could also just go around th community and see if anyone needs small things done (maybe older people).
-Doing paper jobs
-Click here for more jobs around your area that you may be able to find.

Quote:
how on earth I'm supposed to cope at school with everyone randomly going "Oh, look at this" as they show their nice watch which costs the amount my family gets in a month?
Well, this is one I experienced first hand (and still experience now). I learned to be content with where I'm at with life. I learned to be happy with what I have, and who I have. I learned that its better that I don't have that stuff, because now I have to work for it and it will make me into a better person (especially in the work force). Everyone is raised different, and if we dwell on what others have, then what we have is meaningless. If we dwell on what others have, then we don't get anywhere in life. We have to be happy with what we have, who we have, and be willing to work hard to get what we want. That's what we need to focus on.

Best wishes, and Happy New Year,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Making some Money... - December 27th 2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris. View Post
Wow, well you seem to be in a tight spot (and I've been there and done that). Let me try to give you a few suggestions:
Thanks .
So...

Quote:
Here are the following options that I think you could do to get an iPhone:
-Get a job (which you already talked about)
-Look for a different but similar phone that may be cheaper
-Try to look around for a used iPhone (which is what I did when I got my first iPhone - and it was cheap, but worked great)
I've tried cheap impersonations, and it's not worked at all. It's awful.
As for looking round a bit, I've checked all of my town's many technology exchange places, and they don't have any. I'm keeping an eye on eBay and Amazon, also, but I've not yet found anything that suits my needs at a price that I can afford. As for any other second hand phone, I've tried hand-me-downs from family members and...well, I've had one given to me which was broken, totally, one with a battery life of 10 seconds and one with a touch screen...which had large chunks out of it, so it didn't work. The only person with an iPhone in my family is my dad, but he a) has a contract for 2.5 years and b) needs it, because he has MS and can't see without it. No-one else has any phones that they can hand down, either.

Quote:
-See if you are able to get any money off due to using it for school (alot of companies will offer money off if used for educational purposes).
I've tried that, but I'm too young to get any discounts like that - their policies and deals tend to cater for people a few years older than me. Which is useless for right now.

Quote:
-Start your own side business (which is what I did). Mow some lawns, do landscaping, etc when good weather comes around. You could also just go around th community and see if anyone needs small things done (maybe older people).
My business has no customers (BUT if you want a website, then tell me and I'll point you in the right direction to buy one...). As for gardening, I have tried but the only willing person has no garden currently. Also, waiting until there's some good enough weather will take months, and I preferably need it before the end of this holiday.

Quote:
-Doing paper jobs
None around, I've checked.

Quote:
-Click here for more jobs around your area that you may be able to find.
That's a great tool, but I'm 14 so most of the jobs I can't do for legal reasons, unfortunately.

[quote=Chris.;981390]Well, this is one I experienced first hand (and still experience now). I learned to be content with where I'm at with life. I learned to be happy with what I have, and who I have. I learned that its better that I don't have that stuff, because now I have to work for it and it will make me into a better person (especially in the work force). Everyone is raised different, and if we dwell on what others have, then what we have is meaningless. If we dwell on what others have, then we don't get anywhere in life. We have to be happy with what we have, who we have, and be willing to work hard to get what we want. That's what we need to focus on.

I agree morally, but that's not the way (certainly my) human nature works. I don't care that they live in mansions with cars, money and a life free of care ahead of them, because - however modest I'd love to be - I can get there given a few years, because I know that I can go through university without too much of a struggle, and then I can find a job. However arrogant I am, it's true that I will not have too much of an issue in a few years time once I can get a proper job.
But, for now, I have the issue that what I need here and now can't happen, and I'm impatient. I don't want to wait a few years before having the resources I need to get myself a full and proper education now, I want to be properly educated now. And, now I'm annoyed because that's not possible.

I want to be able to get out into the world and do something straight away, because money might not buy happiness, but it can certainly take away the strain that's constantly preventing proper happiness.
I know that I should be happy with what I have, and be thankful that I do have it where others don't, BUT without striving for anything, I don't think I'll get anything. So, I'm always going to try for something more than I've already got, because - however unfortunate it is - that's the way I think.

Quote:
Best wishes, and Happy New Year,
Chris
Thanks - you too .[/size][/color][/font]

Skittlify me up...
Adam the Fish | 26/08/12 | 08/10/12 | 02/12/12 | 09/02/13 | 01/06/13 | 30/08/13 | 25/11/13

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Chuuya Offline
I hate milk.
I can't get enough

Name: Lauren

Re: Making some Money... - December 28th 2012, 02:34 PM

Hey there,

I've faced this problem when I was too young to work, and I still do because I have to babysit. I hope I can offer some good ideas.

It's winter, and that means snow ya know? Is there anyway you could shovel people's driveways when it snows, you could get some money for that. I know I could get some around town for doing it for people I knew (and their neighbors! Nobody wants to shovel snow you know :P )

Ebay and Amazon are great places to check out, sometimes you can find one pretty cheap but it might also be hard. As for the exchange stores, are there any "GameStops" or something similar like one that would ship to your house? Sometimes they sell them online refurbished and used. I think Gamestop only ships in the US, but you could look into a few places like it that might ship them. I also think that they never had them in stores, so try looking on the websites of places as well!

It might take a while for you to get one and get enough money to buy one, but if you try hard enough I'm sure you can do it eventually. You could also see if you can do things around the house as well! I hope everything works out!

"You'll have to decide for yourself. Walk on your own. Move forward. You've got a strong pair of legs, Rose. You should get up and use them."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Adam the Fish Offline
The Skittlemeister.
I can't get enough

Re: Making some Money... - December 28th 2012, 09:06 PM

Hey,

Thanks for your response.

Unforunately, snow is not a very common occurence, and we're therefore unprepared. Coupled with the fact that bosses generally enjoy a few days off for the sake of it, most of the area grinds to a halt and no-one needs their driveways shovelled, they just enjoy a day at home.

As for working around the house, no-one has any money to give me for doing small jobs, and on my "pocket money," it's likely to take approximately 3.5 years, excluding any suggestions that I might have to buy things with it. So, nearer 5 years on home funds, which is not ideal.

Thanks again, though, I'll keep nagging people .

Skittlify me up...

Closed Thread